Introducing: Improved Neon

Update: New neon is live now, post your feedback please

Hi Everybody,

We will be shipping and releasing improvements to neon material. This is implementation of one of the biggest requests for post processing: you asked for neon to be available on all quality levels.

We’ve spend some time on it and frankly that is not possible just like that. Running anything similar to neon on slow mobile devices (lowest quality levels) is just too big of performance hit. So bottom line was: we cant do that, but we still want to improve neon for You. This post is to explain the thought that went to “improved neon”

1. New neon should look very similar to old neon
  2. All quality levels should look similar to each other.
  3. Low quality neon should be more “glowy” :slight_smile:
  4. Try to introduce medium neon for medium graphics qualities

And what we ended up doing:

• Introduced correction factor to full quality neon, that fixes darkening on edges and when object is small on the screen. Causing it to not fade in distance. (And look better, but that is matter of taste).
    • “But Convex I like the darkening on the edges” you say? Well worry not! We made sure it still darkens a little so you can use neon for computer screens and another obscure usages:). However do not count on it for the future.
    • New neon also still blurs things behind it. But again: Do not expect this to work in the long run. Use blur post process where you can.
  • Introduced medium quality neon that is quite similar to the full neon, it is smaller quite faster for a cost of slightly lower quality. It runs on qualities between 4-6.
  • Low Quality neon is now run as a post process. It does same equation as full neon, except it doesn’t blur/glow, which makes it way more similar to the full and medium neon.

Hope you will appreciate this effort, even though it is not exactly what you were asking for. I think it is as close as we can get to it withing hardware constrains.

Some screenshots:

82 Likes

This was very needed. Thank you so much!

7 Likes

This is a great update thanks! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Can we get any screenshots of the medium-quality neon? Higher-resolution as well would be appreciated as it’s hard to tell the difference between the old/new fallback with such small pictures.

3 Likes

Right click -> open image in new tab. It is not low resolution :wink:
Will update original post with screenshot of medium.

3 Likes

With all my heart I say this, I love this update.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

2 Likes

Thank you so much this is what i wanted!

Could we get neon to work with SpecialMeshes?

7 Likes

Neon without glow is something I could’ve really used for weapons and other game items with elements that light up - the glow consumes the small meshes and turns them into one big blob up close.

4 Likes

try out meshparts

Sweet. Seems cool to use in city maps.

Can’t scale down sufficiently.

Nice changes!

I just think the neon could have new priorities that can be changed like the glow scale and stuff.

1 Like

State/City roleplay groups often use neon bricks for traffic lights, seems like a useful update for them.

1 Like

My game Sunset City is heavily built around Neon so this will make for great distance shots and more.

1 Like

I see you guys are taking suggestions from MinutePhysics lol.

13 Likes

A necessary improvement!

Welcome back ConvexRumbler!

2 Likes

This’ll be great for lights on my vehicles!

@Loleris:
Neon without glow is something I could’ve really used for weapons and other game items with elements that light up - the glow consumes the small meshes and turns them into one big blob up close.

Please request this in post processing request forum. We could think of this as a part of per part neon intensity, which is one of the things you can vote for.

@SO_Owen
Could we get neon to work with SpecialMeshes?

Im not aware any progress or plans there. Sorry.

@Deftlock9h
Nice changes!

I just think the neon could have new priorities that can be changed like the glow scale and stuff.

You can control glow spread globally using bloom effect. Its a little bit of hidden feature.

@CloneTrooper10194h
I see you guys are taking suggestions from MinutePhysics lol.

Not really :). This was totally unrelated to gamma/srgb. Im not saying we do handle srgb/linear correctly somewhere else, but that is separate discussion and it has its own reasons.

@InceptionTime
Welcome back ConvexRumbler!

Thank You very much. It is great to be back!

4 Likes