Introducing New Material: Glass

Damn! I wanna go make some statues now that you shared this hack.

I’ve used a few modifiers on a few planes in Blender. Each have their own patterns and it gives cool results. It’s not even remotely feasible because of the poly count but, you know, science!

Figured i’d post this here too since some people might not follow me (and if you do, who hurt you?)

9 Likes

someone should really try making a stealth jet where you cant be seen from the bottom, would be neat.

2 Likes

How do you go about creating mesh parts for hats with code since the MeshId property is write restricted?

Are you just storing already made mesh parts?

1 Like

Had to do that, yes - the effect shown is quite restricted, if you don’t want to exclude accessories.

1 Like

This is a fundamental problem of screen space effects. Some parts of the window want to refract a part of the sky that’s covered by the bars of your window. We have a similar problem for water reflections, where we want to reflect something that is blocked on screen by another foreground object. This thread has more info: Reflections in water cut off by character.

We’re looking at ways to improve this, but this is a hard problem to solve. In the mean time, I suggest keeping this artifact in mind and building around it if you’re going to use Glass for windows. From what I’ve seen, it doesn’t look too bad on large windows that the player never gets too close to or looks at from a sharp angle.

2 Likes

GlassCrystals

My inner geology nerd has been unleashed!

15 Likes

I can’t find it in ROBLOX studio, has it been released yet?

Yes, it’s been released. Click File > About Roblox and make sure your version is 318.

Mine says 316, shouldn’t it have updated automatically? Is there any way to manually update studio?

If you go to the Develop page and download Studio from there, you’ll for sure get the latest version.

<Direct Link>

It should have updated automatically though.

4 Likes

Oh, alright. Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love the new material. Gives my type of building style a whole new look. Very pleased.

8 Likes

Dynamic reflections next? :3 A very toned down version of it obviously (Already exists in smooth terrain water?)

1 Like

This has already been talked about on this post. Terrain water uses screen space reflections, which only reflects what is already on your screen. This would obviously not work for conventional reflections.

glass is life

4 Likes

Just checking if glass is live on all platforms yet? If not, do you have a date estimate?

Glass should be live everywhere some time next week.

2 Likes

actually it would ; i have recently noticed that even the gorgeous reflecting floors in SW battlefront 2 only use screen space reflections ; yet they look good enough … same for the Water in many Unreal engine 4 games like " ARK survival evolved"

Yes it looks odd but apparently even the best triple A games tend to rather use Screen space reflections for their reflective surfaces !

So in my opinion Roblox should at least think about testing to use those for part/material relflactance … at very least a extremely toned down low res method.

found this interesting .PDF explaining some stuff about cubemaps vs. SSR : http://www.cse.chalmers.se/edu/year/2017/course/TDA361/Advanced%20Computer%20Graphics/Screen-space%20reflections.pdf

12 Likes

You are right that screen space reflections may look alright for floors and such, but a reflective surface in front of your character would not work, for example a mirror.

2 Likes