Introducing New Material: Glass

Hey Developers,

We’re excited to announce a new material: Glass.

bus glass

Glass is a material that can be applied to any Part, MeshPart, or Union. It offers a few visual features that are currently absent from our material palette:

Tint

The Glass material acts as a color filter. For example, red glass lets red light through, but blocks other colors. Glass uses a multiply blend when calculating pixel colors, whereas Plastic uses an alpha blend.

Tint - Image

RobloxScreenShot20171205_135922630

Fresnel Reflections

Glass reflections increase in strength when you view a surface at an angle. This creates a reflective outline around the edges of an object.

Fresnel Reflections - Image

RobloxScreenShot20171205_140439050

Refraction

On high graphics quality levels, glass bends light that passes through it, distorting the image behind it.

Refraction - Image

RobloxScreenShot20171205_142644809

Behavior:

Glass Transparency is slightly different than that of other materials. At Transparency 0, glass is completely opaque. As Transparency increases from 0 to .5, glass becomes less opaque (any light that bounces off as diffuse decreases to zero), while all light that passes through is filtered by the glass color. As Transparency increases from .5 to 1, strength decreases until the glass is completely invisible.

Transparency - Image

transparency

Reflectance determines how much light comes from reflections of the Skybox versus the scattered diffuse light from the Part’s color. Skybox reflections are slightly tinted by a Glass Part’s Color.

Reflectance - Image

reflectance

Warning: Non-opaque Objects - Non-opaque objects are currently not visible through glass. This includes, but is not limited to, transparent parts, decals on transparent parts, particles, and world-space gui objects. This behavior matches the refraction on high quality smooth terrain water. This was implemented so refraction wouldn’t have a large performance impact. This behavior may change. We do not recommend relying on this behavior for gameplay.

We want to hear your feedback. Feel free to let us know what you like and dislike about the material, as well as any problems you face. We’re looking forward to seeing your glass-filled creations!

257 Likes

bruh this puts “adding neon to windows to have a cool glass effect” back in the stone age this is way too OP

but uhhh

is this supposed to happen on parts with reflectance

44 Likes

Nice!

THAT IS SO BEAUTIFUL! THANK YOU.

No more transparent blocks.

6 Likes

This is awesome!

1 Like

I wonder if this glass works with quantum physics…

13 Likes

Great idea! I’ve been waiting for something like this for a while for some of my games. :smiley:

Amazing!

135 Likes

:+1: Hype was well hyped for.

5 Likes

Can’t wait :blush:

3 Likes

heartily approve of the use of squid and this amazing feature

1 Like

Incredible update. Thanks!

I would love it even more if it worked with particles, but the material looks fantastic as is. Using transparent Ice or Plastic doesn’t compare with what we can do with this.

1 Like

Finally, now I can make much more reflective things!

1 Like

how much more intensive is this than just transparent plastic bricks. this sounds cool but i still want my games to run on mobile

This is going to be a huge upgrade for my Disneyland project!

2 Likes

I’m not a builder and I can’t exactly think of anything I plan on using this for right now

But I am so absolutely excited for this!

2 Likes

Objects with Humanoids look weird when they’re clipping with glass. Probably an issue with their shadows:

PSA:
don’t make a ship out of glass and try to move It

don’t

21 Likes

YESYESYESYES no more fake transparent blocks!!

1 Like

Thanks!
Screenshot_443

34 Likes