Introducing New Material: Glass

Mine says 316, shouldn’t it have updated automatically? Is there any way to manually update studio?

If you go to the Develop page and download Studio from there, you’ll for sure get the latest version.

<Direct Link>

It should have updated automatically though.

4 Likes

Oh, alright. Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love the new material. Gives my type of building style a whole new look. Very pleased.

8 Likes

Dynamic reflections next? :3 A very toned down version of it obviously (Already exists in smooth terrain water?)

1 Like

This has already been talked about on this post. Terrain water uses screen space reflections, which only reflects what is already on your screen. This would obviously not work for conventional reflections.

glass is life

4 Likes

Just checking if glass is live on all platforms yet? If not, do you have a date estimate?

Glass should be live everywhere some time next week.

2 Likes

actually it would ; i have recently noticed that even the gorgeous reflecting floors in SW battlefront 2 only use screen space reflections ; yet they look good enough … same for the Water in many Unreal engine 4 games like " ARK survival evolved"

Yes it looks odd but apparently even the best triple A games tend to rather use Screen space reflections for their reflective surfaces !

So in my opinion Roblox should at least think about testing to use those for part/material relflactance … at very least a extremely toned down low res method.

found this interesting .PDF explaining some stuff about cubemaps vs. SSR : http://www.cse.chalmers.se/edu/year/2017/course/TDA361/Advanced%20Computer%20Graphics/Screen-space%20reflections.pdf

12 Likes

You are right that screen space reflections may look alright for floors and such, but a reflective surface in front of your character would not work, for example a mirror.

2 Likes

probably … tough i am not sure.

1 Like

If this behavior is planned on being changed, please make it optional. There are many use-cases (such as the one below) for using glass to not render non-opaque objects and removing this behavior just to fix one issue doesn’t seem reasonable (not to mention it will also have a large performance impact). If certain developers absolutely need to be able to see non-opaque objects behind glass, please don’t force this on everyone. Make it optional. :slight_smile:

Example use-case

Using glass to cut the beam water from appearing inside of the boat.

34%20PM

6 Likes

Alternatively they could just add some kind of new material to replace the current use cases. Glass is new enough that it would work (given enough time for devs to move over to the new system). I don’t however support holding back the platform due to people using clearly unintended behaviour in their games.

Just my 2c.

7 Likes

Yes, I agree. I’m not advocating to hold back the platform in order to continue to support this behavior. I’m just saying to make it an option to be able to keep this behavior for those who are relying on it. Either that or add a new material as you’ve said.

they clearly said not to rely on this behaviour

2 Likes

They said they recommend not to, but that’s only because it’s subject to change. I’m just saying they should have it as an option so that we can rely on this behavior if we need to. Simple as that.

We really need both materials. But I cannot use glass for normal purposes due to this critical flaw of the material as it ruins the aesthetics of my games.

Very sad.

We need to get these two issues more attention on here.

1 Like

Please use the Platform Feedback category to make feature requests / bug reports.

There is already a feature request here that asks for Glass to be fixed and an alternative to be made that lets you hide objects:

We also have many other feature requests asking for rendering masks, special materials and other techniques to hide some parts from view.

5 Likes
1 Like