Introducing New Material: Glass

Use the forum search, you will find your answer.

2 Likes

Here’s another functionality. If you take a sphere mesh, crunch it down into a pancake, and make it glass, the lower the transparency is, the more it magnifies. Here’s 0.3 transparency:

0.5 transparency:

And 0.9 transparency:

The change is relatively minor, but at 0.3 transparency, It could make a good short range scope? Here’s one more of it changing live so you can get the feel of how much it really changes:

I love this stuff, man!

25 Likes

Short answer, because they’d have to replicate every movement in your client in another space. It doubles visible triangles and would create horrendous lag. In a 2D game, it’s much different.

2 Likes

Used the search function and found out that it’s very possible, but wouldn’t be easy to implement and it could be quite taxing.

Not quite, it’s more that they have to employ screen space reflection for performance reasons, and screen space reflection would not give good enough results for mirrors, since it can only reflect from what is already drawn on your screen. (it can’t use anything behind you, or any back faces of objects that aren’t in direct view, since they are not rendered on the image) Raytracing techniques can do reflection but are too expensive for real-time graphics for gaming.

1 Like

I’ve mastered the power of time lord pysics… sort of…

Tardis Interior by @dragonfrosting
SmokeAndMirrors.rbxl (2.1 MB)

58 Likes

This is an absolutely awesome update,

I would definitely welcome seeing a change in this behavior in the future.

All in all a pretty great update and I can’t wait to start utilizing it.

13 Likes

Wow this opens alot of doors you guys think?

1 Like

Mmm that final pic is hot

2 Likes

YES! GOODBYE NEON MATERIAL AS GLASS! I really cannot explain how thrilled I am with this update! Roblox is on a roll, honestly. Good work!

6 Likes

someone use glass in the lenses of a scope for a gun!!!

2 Likes

Say cheese
https://i.gyazo.com/a2642844ba34f9920f239845ea345d8c.gif

Also, for people saying make it for gun scope, IT DOESN’T WORK, its too blurry and hardly magnifies.

21 Likes

Just be careful implementing it, because it’ll probably break.

hey i said that first >:(

1 Like

To everyone who wanted it in a scope:

No.

19 Likes

@zeuxcg please allow us to make magnifying scopes with this somehow!

12 Likes

So many amazing new features recently. Glass, Beams, and the draw distance being increased… I’m loving all the new content!
It’s like Developer Christmas.

8 Likes

This is basically dual render. Now we just need higher magnification and a clearer image.

1 Like

Would the shape of the BasePart be able to distort the image accordingly (such as convex and concave lenses)?

Yeah, I think it does to a point.