Introducing New Material: Glass

It should be using their new deploy system now. Are you sure?

Yeah, I’m using the latest build, and it was successfully updating for the past few versions. It’s not detecting that 318 is out though for some reason.

https://gfycat.com/SimplisticEnchantedFieldmouse

also
can we leave this
do not patch it out please

any transparency higher then 0 does this

4 Likes

Should glass just completely disappear at low quality levels if its transparent? I plopped down a 0.5 transparency 255,255,255 ball of glass and it was practically invisible at quality levels 2 and down, reappeared at 3, disappeared again.

https://i.imgur.com/ZcW8dGZ.gifv

I dislike this behavior, even if its intention is for performance, because plastic and even neon retains at least some distinctive properties. if i want to use glass for cool effects, such as stealth cloaks, it provides unfair advantages for turning on lower settings.

13 Likes

After years and years of waiting, it’s finally here!! I’m soo excited!

2 Likes

Long needed update! It does use up quite a bit of render time though. Keep up the great work guys! Maybe next year we can get mirrors and better lighting? :wink:

1 Like

it looks like glass doesn’t have the incorrect Z layering issue where transparent parts are sorted by the camera’s distance to their center. that’s pretty nice.

2 Likes

One way glass?

https://gyazo.com/68122192554ae9f02b36f20353931f2e

Cool.

7 Likes

Saw a couple of cloaking things with glass, thought I’d script it.

35 Likes

Really nice, but I’m getting some weird artifacts when I try to use it in certain situations:

3 Likes

Looks awesome! Excited to use this new material.

1 Like

Incredible update! I want to see more updates like this in 2018. Shaders + Roblox will = higher quality content.

4 Likes

When glass is shadowed by medium-large sized objects, its reflections are just the solid color of any light in the area, not the skybox. The intention was to not reflect the skybox on pieces of glass that are indoors. You wouldn’t want a crystal in a dark cave to have a bright reflection of clouds on its border, for example. However, using medium/big object shadows to detect if something is “indoors” is just a trick that was designed to work in most cases. It doesn’t account for your case. We might be able to tweak this behavior.

In your specific case, it might not be so bad to use SmoothPlastic with Reflectance 1 since it reflects the skybox no matter what.

9 Likes

boi

17 Likes

You should make a fun house game with all those convex and concave mirrors, you’ll get lots of players :wink:

7 Likes

If roblox add an occlusion filter instead, that’d be even better!

6 Likes

Really excited to use this and to also see it used in games! :eyes:

3 Likes

but i am using smooth plastic with reflectance 1

i saw that smooth plastic reflectance 1 parts look good with glass material so i wanted to change all the windows in my game but that brown tint is present on some of the windows when i set their material to glass

it worked perfectly on this building though

7 Likes

This is insanely clever. Holy cow. I thought it was a script that hid it and that the glass was just used as a “portal” effect right on the inside of the door.

6 Likes

thats incredibly genius :open_mouth:
Though it sadly relies on the bug which we shall not rely on );

5 Likes