Introducing New Material: Glass

The transparency bug, on the one hand, is actually an awesome feature

On the other hand, if there is an effort to patch it, we might finally get proper transparency in Roblox.

3 Likes

This only works at a higher quality level, so it won’t work for players with potatoes in a large-scale game (which is probably a large proportion of players).

Great use of transparency though when it does work.

2 Likes

Quite a condescending answer. And it is of course possible, plenty of engines have it. No more taxing than having two viewpoints

1 Like

They’re not going to add mirrors as a feature if you can only have one mirror plane on screen at a time. If they’re adding mirrors, users expect to be able to throw in a lot of them and it still all works as mirrors. So it wouldn’t be a matter of just “having two viewpoints”, that would be an arbitrary limitation that doesn’t work for how people make Roblox content.

6 Likes

Exactly

Is this live on all platforms?

This is live on desktop. It will go live on mobile and xbox in the coming weeks. Glass Parts are converted to Plastic on these platforms until they receive the update.

2 Likes

Thx for this lit update it will help with amazing projects and features many devs could use! :heart_eyes:

This is amazing!!! :joy:

This can be used for so many cool effects. I’m already using it for a shockwave type ability in my game.Arcane Blast1

39 Likes

asuh dude

20 Likes

Is there any possibility the glass could refract based on it’s shape and not transparency?

5 Likes

What do you mean?

1 Like

IRL lenses work because of their specific shape, not their opacity.
As far as I’ve seen, with the Glass material, there would be no difference between a cylinder and a sphere if you would look at the cylinder’s flat top/bottom.
IRL, a glass sphere would flip the image behind it, while a cylinder would pass the light with almost no distorted refraction at all.

6 Likes

As you’ve said, there’s barely any refraction in the flat of cylinder and block shapes, but lens-like refraction in, well, spheres/lens-shaped spheres.

It’s really cool to mess around with to say the least. :slight_smile:

Thats seriously cool!

1 Like

That’s stunning. Glass is so interesting!

1 Like

I don’t get how glass has anything to do with this, please explain :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I’m assuming it’s about the Glass material behavior with decals, transparent objects etc.

1 Like

The exterior is surrounded by glass, and the interior is ever so slightly transparent so that it is invisible through the glass

2 Likes