Introducing Rights Manager

@iGottic @FrancisHUnderwood @LowPolys

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention. We can understand how our messaging may have been confusing. If you receive a DMCA takedown report that you believe was submitted in error, you can file a counter-notice. Instructions for filing a counter-notice are provided to the user when they are notified about the content removal. Learn more about the counter-notice process here.

3 Likes

@extrarius @sandwich_lel

If you believe there was a wrongful takedown on an asset you have a license for, you can submit a counter-notice. Successful counter-notices result in the removal of the related strike from your account. Learn more about the counter-notice process here.

So where did the rights manager go? It’s just gone. It was there the other day, I submitted a few reports, and now it’s not under my creator dashboard, and going directly to the page’s URL results in a missing page.

This…

is…

AMAZING!

No longer do we need to wait through a DMCA request, now we can take down copies of games with ease.

I do have one question tho,
Will we at some point have an AI detect copies of other experiences, and so we don’t need to know the link if someone copies kind of like YouTube has with their match feature?

Is there any way to “modify” or “delete” a account on the rights manager? I’ve gave a incorrect house number and I am unsure on what to do.

I’m not talking about human-initiated takedowns, I’m talking about the automated refusal of audio assets by whatever automated system Roblox uses, for which staff have repeatedly stated there is currently no recourse if the system denies your upload.
For example, here where a staff member says:

Since Roblox does not have a system in place for users to validate licenses we cannot accept the uploading of any song that has been registered as copyrighted.

What they don’t say here is that “registered as copyrighted” means an automated system identifies it as being close enough to something in some database, and the automated system can be wrong. Whether it’s properly identified and you have an explicit license or it’s improperly identified (and you have an implicit license) as matching something else, there is no recourse - the audio simply can’t be used as is. In some cases staff have explicitly suggested trying small modifications to get original creations past the system.

In that one case, the staff member did help with a single false identification, but it has been repeatedly stated by staff that roblox support can not generally help with anything related to the automated system used for audio.

This fact has made me very hesitant to spend money on sounds and music despite their importance, because any particular thing I buy could be made entirely worthless by an automated system and there is nothing I can do if that happens except be sad that I wasted money.

Roblox apparently put some effort into acquiring a large library of sound effects and music to help work around the issues, but the search is unusable so it doesn’t actually help me get quality audio for things I’m working on.

2 Likes

Got it, sorry for misunderstanding. Our team is just building out this tooling and does not own this part of the product. I’ll route this feedback to the appropriate team. Thanks!

It would be a perfect test case to let us know how it goes. :grinning: It takes some time to file the claim, just imagine that multiplied by hundreds or thousands of copies like you have shown, it will be a big time burner, but hopefully will have some force.

I feel your pain, ran into the same issue once. Learned my lesson, next time before I buy or make anything, I upload a “copied” sample and see if it passes. If it does, then I buy the genuine thing and never had any false detection at least that stopped me. :melting_face:

1 Like

Am I going to get an answer? Where the heck did it go? I literally registered and sent three take down requests, now the page is completely missing from my creator dashboard.

Missing for me too, after I already registered.

Maybe they temporarily paused the rollout or something.

The DMCA system, as it is, is currently frustrating. You can DMCA assets without any evidence you actually own them.
As of recently, I’ve been targeted with false DMCAs in an attempt to falsely terminate my account.

I fail to understand how copyright agents accept DMCA notices from people with usernames like this. I have sent a counter notice, but it’s been days with no reply. They take 300% faster to reply to DMCA notices, so they can keep false DMCAing my assets and get my account terminated due to how slow the counter process is.

9 Likes

Agreed. Not having a way to dispute unlawful takedown requests is asking for problems. A DMCA system only functions correctly if the opportunity to dispute a claim is offered before anything gets taken down

2 Likes

Just got rights manager on my group’s holder for my games and registered it.
However, I’m unable to use it because it only takes “my games” (the holder owns group, so do user owns group games), but I’m unable to create a takedown request for games which are copying mine.

This is actually stupid how you’re unable to link your creation, just because its in group not on your account, however its almost the same.

2 Likes

We are fixing this very soon. I’ll update you when it’s completed.

We want to add more official group support this year.

1 Like

@xyrafrost @Fezezen

That seems like a bug with the rollout. Please let me know if you are still experiencing this and make sure your individual account is selected in Creator Hub (not a Group). We will investigate in the meantime.

@Voidage @Trl0_P90 @kingerman88

If a request is denied we will provide reasons such as the content being significantly different, or if the original content is a replica. We are looking for feedback, so if you use Rights Manager and get a rejection reason that you don’t believe was clear enough, then please let us know in the Feature Requests of the DevForum!

What about those of us who have been around since 2008 and don’t have access to the Feature Requests section of the DevForum?

My request was denied when the items in question are literally ripped copies of mine with a small image overlayed ontop, which is a violation of my intelectual property, and has been not corrected by Roblox for some 10 years of me trying to get these items removed. Even when my game was a front-page game and I blocked access to my game if people owned these items (informing them what item they had was the reason I was blocking them and how to get unblocked) it was still not enough to get these items removed and I’m very dissapointed to see Roblox reject my removal request.

This is not due-diligence.

3 Likes

We may send a copy of any intellectual property takedown notices you submit, including any contact information you provide, to the individual responsible for the reported content.

So when using the Rights Manager, it’s possible that the registered address will be given to whomever is involved with a DMCA takedown?

1 Like

@xyrafrost @Fezezen

Hey, we discovered the issue and this should now be resolved. Let me know if this is not fixed!

Thanks for the report!

2 Likes