Introducing the "Avatar Evolution" Studio Beta Build!

I’m a little confused with how these SurfaceAppearances work:
I barely notice a difference with or without normal / roughness maps…

I’m also wondering: will there be Displacement Map & Ambient Occlusion support?

Edit: This is a strong change!! I’m really excited! Also interested to know what the …

… means. :eyes:

19 Likes

The effectiveness of a PBR material depends on how detailed the maps are, if you’re using something rather flat (normals) and either fully matte or fully metal (metalness) it probably won’t seem much more than a regular texture. Try modifying the MetalnessScale and RoughnesScale, too. But if you’re having technical problems, I could maybe help if you’d be able to describe any issues.

I’m also hoping for height maps and possibly AO maps, but I’m not too concerned if the former isn’t possible on the engine yet, though I imagine the latter ought to be.

Be sure to read this to get metal to work:

16 Likes

It appears this build doesn’t even have the properties mentioned in that reply :thinking:
Even using the command bar to run these commands doesn’t do anything:
Lighting.EnvironmentDiffuseScale = 1
Lighting.EnvironmentSpecularScale = 1

Edit: It throws an error though…

ErrorLog
10:21:14.572 - Lighting.EnvironmentDiffuseScale = 1:1: attempt to index nil with 'EnvironmentDiffuseScale'
10:21:14.572 - Stack Begin
10:21:14.573 - Script 'Lighting.EnvironmentDiffuseScale = 1', Line 1
10:21:14.574 - Stack End

Edit2: Whoops I’m stupid… Forgot it needs game. haha!

13 Likes

Ah, be sure to type game. Lighting.EnvironmentDiffuseScale = 1, etc.

They are existing properties of game.Lighting, but hidden for some reason.

12 Likes

Still no luck… The lighting changed a little, but it did not affect the Normal Map anyhow.
The Normal Map is quite detailed so I’m confused.

8 Likes

Are you open to sharing the image / asset ID? This is a map I’m testing with, normal maps should generally appear like this:

https://www.roblox.com/library/4511772395/SciFiPanelNormal

10 Likes

Sure!

This is the result:

Maybe it’s supposed to be like this but I doubt it…

21 Likes

I’m able to see it if the SurfaceAppearance is applied to a regular Part:

What I believe is going wrong is the way the SurfaceAppearances is being mapped to the Mesh, it is supported but I’ve seen a few other people having issues with Mesh mapping. I don’t fully understand the mapping of SA’s to meshes, but at the very least it doesn’t work with all of them.

I take it the texture on that tree is already part of the mesh and not the albedo of a SurfaceAppearance?

21 Likes

I have very very high hopes for new the character controllers - Humanoids are one of the most limiting aspects of development :slight_smile:

11 Likes

No, I did put it in the Albedo of the SurfaceAppearance. :thinking:

Edit: Yea appears it does only work on parts… :frowning:

19 Likes

Okay, so having tested more UV mapped meshes it seems several maps including normals just don’t work on meshes at the moment, even when albedo works fine.

Probably should’ve tried to find this first, this issue report on the GitHub seems to confirm the problem: https://github.com/Roblox/avatar-evolution/issues/8

12 Likes

I have this problem when i open Roblox Beta Studio can someone help me understand why?
Uptade: its because you cant use roblox studio beta with ancient place. Create a new place for test Beta.

19 Likes

coolz
Drew some quick normals/specular on one of my models and :weary: its so GOOD

75 Likes

Absolutely insane, these updates are going to change Roblox a lot.
Finally a change to Humanoids… well overdue.

22 Likes

That is a sight I never thought possible in Roblox. How far behind Meshs were in Roblox had left me using Unreal with Roblox as a hobby, but with this moving into production next year, I expect to pull my focus right onto Roblox. Thank you Roblox staff. Very exciting update, I much prefer RStudio over any other Development Suite so the idea that roblox is really catching up in terms of rendering, animation and more with the big indie players is an exciting prospect.

12 Likes

Does that mean that the roblox avatars will now use a single mesh instead of multiple body parts?

10 Likes

Wish come true, thanks! :eyes:

43 Likes

I found the goose model in game banana and tried it, this is going to be a big change for animators so we have to be prepared, guess I will learn how to rig in Blender :), thanks Roblox!

28 Likes

Very strange. I’ve had no issues at all getting normals/metalness/etc. to work with MeshParts.

22 Likes

See:
https://github.com/Roblox/avatar-evolution/issues/7#issuecomment-565652995

6 Likes