Introducing the "Avatar Evolution" Studio Beta Build!

These are some insane features! I never expected them to come so early!

48 Likes

Just wondering,

Is there a way to allow for customizability on the new “mesh deformation characters”? (rather than creating several different textures, and then allowing the user to choose one)
I’d really love to move to this new mesh deformation system, but my games often offer many markings available for selection, as well as things like fur color, and eye color.

Wondering if there’s a work around for this one.

11 Likes

I’m trying to get the character controller place to work but it’s atm stuck waiting for “CharacterHelper” in the CharacterComponentInterface, in the setupClient method. Anyone know how to fix that?

6 Likes

How Would I access This awesome new feature?

4 Likes

All those realism showcases out there are about to get a lot more fancy!

Been waiting for this since the tech demo a while back. Can’t wait until its live! :grin:

5 Likes

Did you miss the link at the top of the announcement? You download a custom Studio build and run that. It is not available in regular Studio at this time.

6 Likes

Roblox is getting dangerously powerful.

100 Likes

This is extremely dangerous and volatile

7 Likes

How did you pull this one off? That looks crazy good!

4 Likes

I just tweened the MetalnessScale to where the value would go over 1 which is actually crazy how simple it took to make this look real.
A side by comparison with the regular levels and going over it. It really does bring out some textures popping effect.
https://gyazo.com/247d70786ab08b2f1be6031b20e8278f

https://gyazo.com/3af19105a0be26260b1ba96962c04eb8

62 Likes

Now we just need Displacement maps and I’ll be super happy.

Once this whole update is fully out, it will have to be the biggest and best update that Roblox has received by far. These features open up so many new possibilities, especially the mesh deformation and custom textures.

10 Likes

I know I’m really late, but this is MONUMENTAL for Roblox. At last, we will be able to choose how our games appear aesthetically. We are no longer limited to the blocky feeling Roblox has favored since its conception.

This is truly the number one change I’ve been looking forward to, ever since packages were released around 2011(?). The possibilities are endless.

Huge thanks to everyone who worked on this update, and huge thanks to Roblox for sticking with it despite all the criticism each phase of this has received through the past. :+1:

27 Likes

It’s from RDC19 actually. Just the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread go up.

2 Likes

Does this mean importing an fbx model will allow you to animate a single mesh? Making bones automatically? in the animation editor?

The future is now, bois. There is so, so much potential.

(to be honest, I don’t know why it’s taken this long to get normal maps and stuff.)

2 Likes

Excuse me, but Christmas is on the 25th, not the 13th

26 Likes

This is really amazing but I am just wondering does the mesh deforming also work on things that aren’t characters? I can’t seem to figure out how to use it for other meshes.

3 Likes

Another quick question, can you import animations directly from Blender?

4 Likes

Those are FBX animations. That is beyond the scope of this topic.

5 Likes

This is great news, good to see Roblox has been developing some great updates for us this year, Roblox will be like Unity when our physics are better and FPS. Good work, Roblox!

1 Like

I get that the surface appearance is still in early beta. However, I do wish to know whether there will be more properties to the object such as: Distortion maps, ambient occlusion maps, height maps, etc. Also I’m curious about the whole ability to tile these textures as it appears to stretch when resizing a part.

4 Likes