Introducing the "Avatar Evolution" Studio Beta Build!

Great update so far! I already remade something from one of my favorite games.

2019-12-1500-17-07 (1)

92 Likes

How would I be able to put the bones in blender? Just tried it out with Blender 2.79. I parented the mesh to the armature. When I uploaded it to the beta roblox studio, there weren’t any bones. Also, some faces were invisible.

6 Likes

24 Likes

Definitely something roblox can benefit from, I’m wanting to get into custom character and animations for weapons etc.

Custom materials is also something I’m wanting to get into, for now its just textures etc but I’m wanting to do realistic environments, I’m currently working on a small project.

I’ll be sure to check this out. Can’t wait to see what 2020 brings

2 Likes

No matter what I do I cant get it to work. Can you send me coin and i’ll try it?

1 Like

I’ve posted another reply to the issue on GitHub. What I’ve found is if you upload the mesh in the custom studio build, the mesh will not work with SurfaceAppearances. However, if you upload them in production studio, they should work just fine.

https://github.com/Roblox/avatar-evolution/issues/8#issuecomment-565781211

3 Likes

Thanks for the info & help. I don’t really know the distinction between production and custom studio build, could you provide a more detailed explanation?

3 Likes

Neither do I, but meshes I’ve uploaded in production studio seem to work just fine and ones I’ve uploaded in the custom build don’t. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I don’t know which is which in the first place, where do I download custom build and where do I download production, also we should take this into messages instead of spamming this thread.

1 Like

Where is 32 bit one? This studio build is 64 bit only and I have 32 bit OS, this is a problem.

1 Like

For some reason the custom materials reflecting the skybox isn’t working for me. Does anyone know how I get it to work?

Edit: For anyone who is also having this problem, I fixed it by updating from MacOS Yosemite to MacOS Catalina.

1 Like

I have no idea how to use this. But it seems so cool

1 Like

Can I just ask what skeletal skinning is aka mesh deformation?

I have no idea…

@Homeomorph

4 Likes

Pretty cool, yet it would help a ton if you could use welds with these rigs (if there’s a work around, please let me know!! :smiley: )
https://gyazo.com/12e7e46b405263178c0f767e8b5a4865

32 Likes

I really hope that the current custom materials are not a complete feature.

Why not just allow us to set the Material property of parts to a single SurfaceAppearance instead of parenting a new one to everything we want to change? This is a massive nuisance for people who have a large amount of BaseParts that they want to apply a custom material to and adds a whole layer of new instances for no reason.

The effects that are included in this instance are lacking. Why don’t we have screen space reflection and displacement like the water material? Why is there no refraction from glass?

8 Likes

It’s a beta, they’re going to be working on more customization I assume.

1 Like

While I understand that, their github page says which parts are incomplete/being reworked and custom materials aren’t listed there.

1 Like

Mesh deformation? This is huge for roblox

3 Likes

Glad that we can make parts reflect the skybox while being able to change the color of the brick. It even works on Humanoids too. I always wanted to do a recreation of Pink Floyd’s music video for “Shine On You Crazy Diamond”.

Though this isn’t the greatest way to present SurfaceAppearance, it’s really getting me excited for the future of Roblox!

28 Likes

Its a good update!
However, the bone system does confuse me a bit. Can somebody help?