Introducing the "Avatar Evolution" Studio Beta Build!

Make sure you are using an OBJ file format for this to work.

3 Likes

I was excited to try out the new custom materials but I noticed normal maps dont work with meshes so im a bit disappointed. Hopefully meshes will support normal maps in the full release.

2 Likes

Absolutely amazing. I’m both excited and crushed at the same time. Knowing that this is a thing makes me incredibly happy. Knowing that I will likely need to overhaul my current game to support it kills me.

3 Likes

I have a question.
I’m having trouble with the rig itself
I’m testing out the mesh deformation and animation importer.
in this case I was trying out multiple parts imported each part with his own texture,
in this case, is a valve model from counter strike.
the head is a part and the rest of the body is another one each of them has his own texture
but when I export it comes with same name bones inside making a conflict

1ºImage is the rig itself imported and getting error

2ºImage is the blend file showing the rig itself

3ºImage is the rig changing the parent of the head parent to the neck in the torso part

changing the head bone parent to a bone of the torso breaks the head and make it not receive animation and is on the state of TPose.
how can i fix this or what is wrong with it ? i wanna be prepared for when the mesh deformation is released for making cool games :smiley:.

1 Like

can u help me out with my question above? since i saw that you imported an scientist of half life that has mutiple textures.

Now all we need is the ability to set different terrain types to these custom materials, that could be so useful

3 Likes

I did some experimentation with the PBR lighting, and I am amazed! It only took a few tweaks to my lighting settings, but it looks almost identical to what I have without PBR. These skybox changes work like magic, changing the scene drastically, and only needing a few small lighting adjustments.

Here is a gallery of images I compiled of me experimenting with PBR on my map stuff.

Skybox experimentation

11 Likes

The PBR textures are incredible, but will tiling(like textures) be coming with the release? Because doing something like scaling roof tiles and using them across a variety of surface sizes would be difficult without that.

3 Likes

The ability to set skewed (non-orthogonal) or scaled cframes for bones would be incredibly useful for custom characters and graphics. Instead of scaling each and every bone’s transform, the root bone’s transform could have its matrix scaled or skewed and have it applied to all bones in the assembly, allowing for extremely efficient real-time character scaling or distortion while animations play, or even per-limb scaling for different character types.

2 Likes

Hard to believe this is where we were in terms of visual capability by the end of last year. Thank you to every beautiful person who worked tirelessly to get us from where we were to where we are now in just 1 year. You brought us from Legacy to Voxel, then from Voxel to ShadowMap. Then you blessed us all with PBR and now custom materials. You the real MVPs. :pray:

https://streamable.com/t11ya
https://streamable.com/cepwf
Good thing I had some old “Future is Bright” builds laying around so I could record the footage for the old lighting!

22 Likes

I adjusted the UV maps to all fit on one texture and baked the existing textures onto the new texture through Blender 2.8

This tutorial might help:

23 Likes

thanks, i aready know how to fit stuff and adjust the uv, i was thinking that with new roblox whe coud use multiple parts in the rig and still have the mesh deformation like the roblox lola rig where is made of parts and each part has his own texture.

Modular building and trim sheets might be a better influence on up and coming environment artists :eyes:. This tutorial is good for things like more specific assets, maybe firearms, really useful now that the bar for what is considered a good modeler/texture artist will be raised significantly after this feature becomes available for the client and is out of Beta.

For some reason this is happening to my Shark with a bone structure:
The actual 3D model imports fine using the usual mesh import.

https://i.gyazo.com/2b35b633f2dd5b00656f647eaa362319.mp4

5 Likes

Im happy, but also scared, lol
time to learn some rigging and modeling in blender for the future roblox :smiley:

2 Likes

Hehe weird fleshy guy in roblox (Animating isn’t my strong suit, I know it’s pretty bad). Can’t wait to see these new features used in games though!

31 Likes

That’s a bug.

Could you share the model? Ideal for us if you can create an issue on github and attach a link to the model. If you can’t share the model publicly can you DM us with it here?

4 Likes

Old

New

27 Likes

I’m excited to start working with these features!

I have rigged and animated dozens of pets/characters over the years on Roblox. Working late nights cutting/rounding hundreds of limbs for hours is exhausting, and this is a breath of fresh air.

Plus physically based rendering can make characters look so much better!
Before:

With normal map:

I wouldn’t mind a SurfaceAppearance.EmissionMap property for meshes with glow/neon, but otherwise the only rendering feature we’re missing is “cutout” rendering for realistic fur and foliage:

As I posted before, bones would benefit from support for scaled/non-orthogonal CFrames. Multiplying a bone’s cframe by CFrame.new(0,0,0, 4,0,0, 0,4,0, 0,0,4) could result in seamless per-bone scaling similar to this:

It would also be possible to animate the stretching of foliage using shear transformations. Skyrim uses transforms like this to achieve a seamless werewolf transformation animation by stretching the character into the new proportions, and there are many other applications. These transformations can be easily applied on RenderStepped without the huge performance cost and complexity that comes with updating the size of many parts along with bone offsets.

50 Likes

Posted a new release of the build on github with some fixes for PBR properties.

@Homeomorph also added a bunch of great documentation on surface appearances on the Avatar Evolution site.

The Avatar Evolution build does not automatically update! You’ll have to go back to the site to download the latest release.

10 Likes