Introducing the Ban API and Alt Account Detection

Thanks, I was too lazy to do this myself

roblox finally making a good update, W

Oops, forgot to mention I did have this enabled and it still returned 403 forbidden, I will edit my original reply to include that.

4 Likes

Yippee!

Small issue: It appears it’s possible to ban yourself without any way to revoke that ban from Roblox Studio. The only recourse is to script an :Unban() call, publish the game with that code, then join on an unbanned account to execute that code.

Once this has been implemented in the Creator dashboard this won’t be as much of an issue, but it’s something to look out for if you’re toying around like I was.

It’s most likely gonna be, IP and/or HWID related.

1 Like

Thanks this should be easier now.

It should be better to have a few more options to play with and a few more APIs, included but not limited to:

• Modify a ban (reason, duration, …)
  • Own way of handling bans (teleporting to another place to handle appeals for instance)

So this would translate via:

• A new method! Players:ModifyBan(), to modify a punishment log. I have no idea how you would be able to achieve that with the current configuration.

• A new optional field in BanAsync (Kick, default is true): allows customized handle.

• A new event Players.PlayerPunished or PlayerBanned, or PlayerBanStatusChanged, made to allow users to implement their own logic (as mentioned, teleporting to another server, …)

3 Likes

Small question.
Would appreciate if a Roblox Staff can clarify this.
Will it kick users if they have a active ban even if they got banned from
A: Another Server.
B: The API itself.
Would be awesome if it did!

1 Like

We don’t have any in-experience specific rules as we just enforce Roblox Terms of Service as the automated system fails to ban them. We deal with multiple instances of this per day and I won’t divulge what goes on exactly as it is awful. But are we actually able to do this? Majority of our bans are of an extremely inappropriate nature so we will continue to ban where we see fit, but this API should make it much easier. Cool.

image-1

I dislike the wording “by the creator” and “message from the creator:” as they are toxic parasocial relationship inducers.

While that sort of wording is benign to an adult, a child will take it literally as “the owner of this group has PERSONALLY banned you, they hate you, they are now your sworn enemy”.

It is essential for digital civility and developer safety that internet anger does not get directed toward specific individuals, it instead should be redirected towards a company, entity or object.

I will not be using this API until the wording on the ban message is amended.

32 Likes

we got banservice before gta VI
on a serious note, this is genuinely great

1 Like

I am indescribably happy about this, I finally don’t have to worry about data stores and ban modules. Un-bans are much easier to deal with now. And alt detection is a big step forward. Thank you roblox

I think experiences under groups should be okay with that kind of wording (like you said, in that case it’s directed toward an entity rather than an individual) but I completely agree otherwise.
There are some really unhinged people that will go far out of their way to use that ban wording as a justification to maliciously attack the creator individually without realising it probably likely was not the creator that personally banned you. Maybe replace creator with “moderators of this experience”?

No, if you get banned from a game and you try to join that game with a alt account your alt account won’t get let in either.

Finally! I think this is an update that everyone can agree with

U only need the userid, as mentioned in the FAQs

This is such an amazing feature that I look forward to using :slight_smile:

1 Like

how do you use the ban api, do you do Player:Ban() ?

1 Like

It is actually game.Players.BanAsync:(). [1]

[1] create.roblox.com. (n.d.). Players | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub. [online] Available at: Players | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub [Accessed 26 Jun. 2024].

1 Like

Awesome, I have high hopes for this.

2 Likes