Introducing the Game Fund

I have a lot of hope that this program will finally give developers more of a reason to create better and more ambitious projects, especially if they’re aimed at an older audience.

Currently, there’s not much of an incentive for developers to create a huge project (such as Adopt Me) due to several factors, so many will instead create games like “SHOVEL POOP SIMULATOR” which can be pumped out consistently for these developers to make much more revenue than they ever would with an actual game, not to mention these games may hurt the image of Roblox to be able to attract an older audience where it’s already seen as a game for young kids. Especially with Roblox wanting to reach an older audience for long-term gain, I don’t think this would likely happen for the foreseeable future unless if Roblox is able to help give developers an incentive (such as the Game Fund) to make games that push the limits of Roblox.

While this may harm smaller indie developers like me due to more competition, I think in the end this is the step in the right direction and I’m excited to see where this goes! :tada:

9 Likes

Can’t wait to see the games that come from this 500,000 minimum funding from roblox itself.

2 Likes

Pretty awesome, but I also think to balance the scale for developers under the age of 18, there should be an alternative option for robux instead of USD.

5 Likes

Cool opportunity! Wow is that a lot of money.

So how many developers/studios will be accepted? One? A hundred? $500,000+ is a large sum so imagine there will be very few participants, but I’m eager to see more very polished games on this platform.

8 Likes

Brookhaven doesn’t break any major milestones graphically or otherwise.

Also, this program is for new games not to improve on already popular games.

5 Likes

This will probably get deleted but…

I feel like this money they’ll be spending on projects potentially bigger than Roblox’s britches is misused. They could instead focus on improving the actual engine as a whole, so that all developers may benefit. Whereas this ‘Game Fund’ is only going to benefit a handful of devs that are selected for the game fund.

Myself I own a game that does actually push the engine’s capability. I had no budget starting out, and have only spent under $1k to get it to where it is. And from experience I can say Roblox’s goal of pushing the platform is good, but this project’s effort is misplaced. Roblox can’t handle a lot of what most game engines can handle.

I even recall Berezaa’s project Vesteria that was funded by the Accelerator Program. They had a budget of $230k + initially and it still had numerous issues cough TeleportService cough. No matter how much money they threw at it, it could only be as good as the platform it was on. And they shutdown for a long time.

Heck my own high quality game Tower Defenders can barely run on a lot of devices and yet I’ve spent months-years optimizing it. And I’ve had top devs advise on it’s performance and efficiency.

Or perhaps this money could be spent on increasing DevEx payouts for ALL devs? Has Roblox forgotten the huge blowout of top developers giving testimony to Roblox’s notorious low turnouts for developers?

66 Likes

You wrote that wrong, brother. It’s $500,000 not $50,000.

Well i know that, but i don’t think owners with games with like 100 player a day would be known even if they would apply. Here comes popularity.

I don’t like this idea… Large amounts of money does not equal better quality/better grossing games. This is extremely evident by what happened with Vesteria. Money such as this would be better off paid out to the developers who had a massive hand in generating it in my opinion…

5 Likes

Woah! $500,000 is insane. I would love to see this in the hands of the right developers so we can bring more higher quality games to the platform. It would for sure be cool to see some games on par with other popular games in general (Call of Duty, Valorant, GTA etc.)

3 Likes

if you want developers to push boundaries, then shouldn’t the focus be improving the resources available to us in Roblox studio. Boundary pushing features that were added are things like mesh deformation and tweening. hopefully the particle emitter can become better to

8 Likes

Great idea but knowing roblox their gonna screw it up somehow.

1 Like

Hey, $10,000 or maximum $100,000 sounds good! But i don’t think there are enough people to fuel an $500,000 game…

2 Likes

Please include a list of games that you or your team have launched previously. This list can include titles released both on and off the Roblox platform and should include links.

My team and I do not have previous projects together, but we’re very close to finishing a game that we have been working on for the past year. Is it possible to link our own individual projects that we have contributed to? Or does it only include projects we have worked on together? If not, are we able to provide a file copy of our game?

1 Like

This post specifies that the same support as for any top Roblox developer will be provided, what does this mean? Is this akin to the way the accelerators functioned?

Additionally, what is the catch to this sum, and what happens if the developer fails to meet their planned release date? Will the platform intervene at all or attempt to push the metaverse idea into this game?

And lastly, does this game have to be eligible for the Chinese version in its gameplay?

4 Likes

I would really love to see a triple A title style game on Roblox. Really high detail, effort, etc. Money issues such as sounds / audio payments exist when developing. Because of the money here, this would not be an issue which could be a nice relief off the people making these games to focus on something great. Anyways, this looks extremely cool and I hope to see really great games made from this.

1 Like

This truly is expanding the platform. I can only imagine how top notch these games are going to be if they are being funded with 500K USD+

Big congrats to Roblox overall as well :partying_face:. We’ve come a long way and this is showing how advanced our platform is getting.

4 Likes

Sadly, these games probably won’t be too high detail as they’ll have to deal with Roblox limits.

1 Like

Am I the only one who really thinks that someone named “Game Fund” has joined the team before I read the thread? :smile:

3 Likes

Are you refusing money? Also this fund is not meant for minor games, this is so that these developers can hire even off-platform or some of the best in their fields, to carry through a game of top notch quality to be the symbol and image of Roblox’s metaverse. It’s also likely intended as market stimulation for Roblox development, cheap and non-beneficial prices have long plagued the platform, this may be their way out.

4 Likes