Introducing the Game Fund

I completely agree. It is all dependent on the developer.

1 Like

This is amazing. I canā€™t wait to see how developers will use that funding on their project

2 Likes

I agree with your opinion, but once again. Only like one in 10 million could get at this point. Doing such a big project isnā€™t really easy. There must be really popular people with good ideas of games. Even if you have a great idea of a game, but no popularity. Your game will likely get declined. So once again, this is almost an impossible way to achieve a project this big. Like what are we thinking of? An insane and huge free world game?

Considering this is roblox I doubt thereā€™ll be any indie devs to trust 500k with unless theyā€™ve already made a super popular game like adopt me before

1 Like

Can it, though? Look at Hellreaver. This game canā€™t run at more than 20FPS on my GTX 1060, and Iā€™m on a mid end build. A shooter equivalent to this, with the same amount of detail, such as CS:GO or Apex Legends, can run at a much higher framerate for me.

3 Likes

This will be really good for talented developers that arent known in the community yet :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

events like this make me feel like one day Roblox games will have the capabilities of being successfull AAA games.

1 Like

i accidentally submitted before i could finish :frowning:

There are of course work arounds to these, both can be avoided by simply slicing models/UVs in half, the measure is only there so that no amateur developer accidentally creates a 1.5 million triangle beast and actually considers optimization, if you know what youā€™re doing this isnā€™t an issue. And who cares for realism to begin with, much lies on your art style and hell, with a social experience designed for a large age range youā€™re unlikely to see a realistic art direction, rather a cartoonish and fun one, or a uniquely stylized one.

1 Like

I agree with this. Seems strange for Roblox to be selectively giving out money to developers. If itā€™s anything like what Iā€™ve seen from the accelerator program, I suspect they will likely only choose those who are well known internally as solid developers and not take chances, which seems to be that this is designed to encourage.

If Roblox has money to be throwing around to improve their platform I think it would be more beneficial for the market to decide where that money is allocated rather than the staff who have biases baked in to who they will eventually choose.

11 Likes

Indeed, this is what i though of. Here comes popularity. No one will really support some random person. Even tho he had great ideas!

This is not allowed as all team members must be 18+.

I donā€™t know what happened for you but I can run Room 2 at 60FPS on my GTX 1070 and on my RTX 2060.

Edit: Even in Noahā€™s own demos did he state that he could run the game at full detail at a good speed while using a rather dated mobile device.

1 Like

Mind giving a link? It may just be my own PC. I havenā€™t seen this.

What if youā€™re working for a legally established studio owned by a 18+ member, but you run the groups? How would someone be able to apply under these conditions?

This sounds like great news for innovating on the Roblox platform, but this scenario needs to be considered in order to allow a larger range of innovative and great ideas to make its way into the platform.

2 Likes

I mean you can split up the meshes, nobody can stop you in that regard so you can make literally each individual part REALLYdetailed.

1 Like

500,000 robux is alot when put into games. However why canā€™t apply if you are under 18. Is there contracts involved?

1 Like

Can we possibly get more clarification as to what happens if weā€™re selected? $500K USD is a lot of money. I canā€™t imagine youā€™d be given that without having to pay it back or take some level of cut from your gameā€™s income for x-amount of time.

I personally think that this is a bit misplaced. Roblox isnā€™t at the level where most high quality games are at. Even with that budget, I donā€™t think you can make up the downsides of the engine at its current state. If I recall correctly, I believe that Vesteria (@berezaa) tried to do this and ended up throwing a lot of money into something that could barely break even whilst under the accelerator program.

The premise of this is cool but, I am iffy about how far you can really take this engine before the engine becomes too limiting and starts to be the reason why said idea canā€™t exist the way that you want. Otherwise, throwing $500K at a metaverse pitch seems a bit odd.

2 Likes

How interesting Iā€™m looking forward to the future of Roblox!

1 Like

I canā€™t imagine what roblox will become and what games developers will be churning out with 500,000 USD!

I imagine too many things.

2 Likes