Introducing Unified Game Permissions

I’m glad Roblox is moving towards a more thorough permissions interface for games, this is a really helpful change, however I’ve got two questions about the “Old” and “New” permissions table

1. “Shutdown All Servers” is shown as disabled in old permissions, yet I’ve always been able to shutdown all servers on games I do not own that I have access to. Am I missing something here?

2. Will these permissions be editable in the future? It would very helpful to be able to toggle certain features by the user or roleset such as the ability to save the place locally, rename the place, or publish the place.

Is it because i’m enrolled in the beta program that i’ve had these features for around 2 months now?

The beta program doesn’t affect studio anymore.

If you don’t remember enabling it, then there’s a potential it was enabled by default since it’s not a feature that replaces an existing functionality, but only an addition.

2 Likes

I can’t add players, the option does not even show.

1 Like

I feel like the “Play” option will confuse new players because they feel like if the permission is not set to play, that user can’t play the game at all and they have to set everyone’s permission to play so people can play the game.

This is a different update. Please direct your feedback to the announcement thread or Platform Feedback.

I am kinda sad for this change as we had some testers in our group with different roles.

7 Likes

this is going to be so useful for testing new features with out random people joining

1 Like

i like this new addition! now people can test the game and not edit it

2 Likes

This is truly amazing. Not really much to say.

1 Like

I don’t know if I’m using this correctly but I have a role called “Developer” with create and edit game permission enabled. On my game however, the Developer role has no access to the game yet they’re still able to edit the game. Is that intended or am I doing something wrong?

1 Like

This is interesting. I’ve looked at the game permissions. I think they can be improved though, no idea how right now but yeah.

1 Like

The permission in group role settings will enable global access to edit all of the group’s games. This permission system gives you control over which roles can edit and access specific games.

For your case, remove the permission and add the change the access type for the roles in each game you would like to give access to.

1 Like

This is awesome Update! :heart:

4 Likes

Still think there is an issue unless i just dont understand permissions, In Roblox Group i have created a role, I gave that role no authority, I assigned that role to a tester, went into studio under the permissions tab allowed the person to edit from the permissions tab, the person could not access the studio. so i went back to the group page and turned on the tab for them to edit the game under this specific role, that person subsequently was able to access all group games that i had not turned on perms for that role for. Am i missing something any help is grateful?

1 Like

@nsgriff
Group rank with edit permission for a game cannot import meshes. We only want group owned meshes in our games since they could be archived. You should add the permission to import.

2 Likes

Can someone explain why this has been done? Because group games are getting more popular every year and this feels like a heavy downgrade.

Why is this an issue?

• We have different projects were different people work on. Some are ranked as Testers and some as builders or other roles. We don’t want all testers to have access to that specific project. If we move the tester to that project into builders. We have to give builders access to all projects to test on so the tester can still test their stuff. Or the tester has to give up his tester role because as we builders don’t have access to all projects what’s also the annoying part you need to make different group roles for different group games. But since you can’t add individual users you have to update their rank the whole time.

I would really like to know why we no longer can add individual users to Group Games or other groups to group games. This feels like a heavy downgrade and downgrades the development flow.

(We only work through a lot of group games and groups.) I preferred the beta when all these things still were a thing. Can someone explain me why they removed it?

13 Likes

Can’t have said this better myself. Groups are better for revenue (thanks to group funds and payouts), but the permissions need improvement.

I was looking forward to this during beta, since it meant I could assign testers specific group permissions.

With that said, I still can’t find any reason (good or bad) for why this change was made. Please can the studio team consider responding to this.

3 Likes

On Groups:

Hey everyone, we appreciate the feedback. We defaulted back to the original behavior in this case because we didn’t believe that groups should be tied to other entities externally. Appreciate the feedback, and we will discuss bringing this back in future improvements.

@Gimchi578
There are a lot of issues with us allowing this, because technically that role does not have permissions to modify group assets at all since this permission is about the game, and not the group. We will have to look into this further. Thanks.

11 Likes

Looking forward to when this is brought back, this was a very beneficial feature to the community based groups and developers. I was using it to link my developing group to link specific developers to their workshops within the main one.

3 Likes