Introducing Videos in the Marketplace!

What’s coming next?

We are just getting started with this technology. From cutscenes to tutorials to animated textures, we know all of you are going to want to use this in different ways for your own unique experiences. We are working on our next milestone of allowing all of you to upload custom video content for your own experiences, so stay tuned for that!

It’s been a few months since the release of video frames but I am curious, When do you plan on releasing the ability for us to upload ourselves? I see video frames being used all the time in these events but we can’t upload our own videos to use in-game.

The hype for this update was high but It decreased since nothing has been done with this feature except for events only. We got the 50 initial videos to use but really none of those videos fit our games to even bother to use them.

6 Likes

honestly i plan on making gifs for magic attacks. it would be nice to allow more than just two videos to play at once if possible once you guys optimize this.

4 Likes

Hello Roblox Staff! I would like to have a ETA of when this feature would be more accessible to the wider public, if not soon then make uploading videos feature exclusive to only the beta members, I have a few ideas such as better looking explosion particles and smoke. Thanks!

8 Likes

It is semi-disappointing that this feature hasn’t shown up on the roadmap at all, meaning it will be awhile before people can upload their own videos.

If moderating videos won’t be possible for a while, could you maybe consider opening applications to submit your own videos? Not sure how overwhelming that would be, but it would be nice to have a temporary method until moderation of videos can be figured out.

9 Likes

I made a basic TV using all available videos on the marketplace since it was last updated. You’re free to take it apart and see how it works :grin:
https://www.roblox.com/library/5693918157/Basic-TV
e

1 Like

My beloved rant

@RoxyBloxyy No hate on you but be honest with us, What is the reason we aren’t seeing this feature given to us fully. We’ve gone event after event seeing these video frames being used and yet we can’t use them ourselves. We have 50 videos to choose from all of which are okay but if you scatter that across over a million games that’s not enough. They get repetitive and it’s stupid.

Like what is the reasoning behind us not being able to upload our own videos? It’s been close to a year now.

Going off your recent history of posting you’re still active in development areas of features we didn’t even ask for.

Such as

Automatic Translation

Automatic Translation | Images

Although this was a good feature why not fully finish features you already have?
I’d have to say that’s the biggest issue you Roblox staff do to us as a community. You announce a big ol’ update then leave us in the dark for months on end. Are you currently thinking to yourself “We don’t do that”, Allow me to provide a few examples?

Video Frames

Video Frames | Images

Been close to a year since the last update on this feature

Display Names

Display Name | Images

Now we know display names are still being worked on to this day cause they just release stuff on it willy nilly without giving us any updates about it. But if you also look at the forum post he mentioned he won’t update till the full release of it. Kind of a shame ngl, Wish he at least gave updates here and there like our good ol’ pal vrtblox does.

Procedural Skies

Procedural Skies | Images

The last update we had on this feature was months ago. It was set to release in beta in January, Now he did meet those standards although this is where he failed. The last response he made on this post was in December of last year. What’s up with that? What the biggest shame about this all if you guys seem to do this often with all the updates we’ve been waiting years for.

Future is Bright Phase 3

Now I’m not saying all admins do this, One of the admins I respect is @vrtblox He made the post about Fib Phase 3, and wouldn’t you know, He still responds to our post giving updates on bug fixes and other information about it.

FiB Phase 3 | Images

UIStrokes

This feature is another really good example of what you should do. Instead of leaving us in the dark be like @Tiffblocks and at least give us insight on what is going on in the background, Some of our games are starting to rely on these new features and we don’t know if they are even coming out soon or not.

Now our girl over on the UIStrokes page informed us on the issue they are experiencing and an estimated date on how long it will take to resolve.

I swear Tiff has been super helpful with informing us on the issues she and her team are experiencing during the development of this feature. She’s been active through the forum which I and I assume a lot of others greatly appreciate, unlike some forum posts that are leaving us in the dark.

UIStrokes | Images

tldr

I know these features your working on is a lot of work, We get that. But don’t just leave us in the dark while we sit back and wonder if these features could have been super useful and beneficial to tons of users. We’re not asking you to be active every day or every week we’re at least wanting updates monthly about these features instead of yearly.

I would have loved to use this feature but to be honest, I’m about done with Roblox.
Just please for the love of God give us an update about this feature. Are you ever going to release it to the website for all? and if not you mind as well just close this forum post instead of wasting our time on a feature that’s just gonna be locked to the lucky developers that made it to the front page.

– Silly

27 Likes

@RoxyBloxyy it’s been a while since this feature has been spoken about. Any news or updates on this? Rough timeline at the very least of when you think this feature will be released to developers?

7 Likes

The VideoFrames are still useless, since we cannot upload our own videos…

13 Likes

It seems as if Roblox just made this feature so they could add it in to event games… there has been no update on when we will be able to upload and I doubt it will be coming out soon…

8 Likes

It is going to be a full year, and they still didn’t make so we can upload our own videos

5 Likes

I’m hoping that the UGC aspect of VideoFrames comes out within the next couple of months.
This adds so many opportunities for developers to create new and unique experiences on the platform. (Personally already have about 50 ideas racing through my mind)

5 Likes

I completely agree, I feel like they just made video frames for their events and that was it. Something gives me a hint that we may never be able to upload videos to the platform for a long time. :confused:

I was looking forward to this feature. I was planning on making a full tutorial for player’s in my game using video frames but that is probably never happening ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8 Likes

This actually makes me really sad, because when people saw the Blox awards and saw the video frame, they all raced to me saying “CAN YOU INCORPORATE THIS FEATURE IN YOUR GAME?”. And me and themselves had lots of ideas for this. But seems this will never go out, and was just an “excuse” for roblox to use them in their own game.

9 Likes

I mean, there are already algorithms for detecting naked people, which would immediately blacklist a video for review.

The truth is, they can’t perfectly moderate video. Just like they can’t perfectly moderate games, but if they’re able to manage these moving 3D spaces so that the occasional honker isn’t seen by anyone unless they look for it, they can do the same for moving 2D images.

3 Likes

In my opinion, video is just… not going to happen for us normal developers. It’s purely for event games. Roblox values money over its playerbase, and while that hurts to say, it doesn’t make the engine any less of a powerful tool.

So you know what? We don’t need video. We don’t need new features. I think that the engine could stagnate where it is, and it would still be the best thing we would have for decades.

3 Likes

Roblox have already informed us about us being able to upload our own videos in the future if you look all the way at the top. But they have not told us when that will be happening and it’s already been nearly a year from when they announced this new feature. Videoframes will be a very powerful object because it will save developers a lot time making there own short video clips with imagelabels. I just hope that this feature gets rolled out soon as I know many developers that are looking forward to been able to add videos to their games. – crixtt

6 Likes

Look I’m not going to lie. The video feature in Studio just… doesn’t really work well.

For the longest time I had this issue where if you place a video frame into a player’s GUI, and then delete it their whole client would crash on the spot. Was a huge issue for me because I was trying to make a video command for my admin script where you play a video in the corner of someone’s screen upon use, but after the video ends the frame deletes itself for convenience. Didn’t work. Did not work. Took months for it to be fixed.

I think this feature was so broken upon release Roblox just cut their losses and left it as is minus major bugs that caused crashing clients like the one I just stated. This is probably just an abandoned feature.

9 Likes

What if this is abused like how Decals are?
people may upload innapropriate stuff thatll get through the auto moderation…

2 Likes

When will we be able to make our own?

1 Like

It’s been a year… when’s the full update gonna come out? At this point the feature is completely useless, theres only like 20 videos, and I have literally not seen a single game use them.

3 Likes