Say "Hello" to Display Names!

@be_nj, isn’t this rolled out?

2 Likes

Is this out now?

I saw a lot more new labels with @ handles and I can change my displayname in settings now

Is this FULLY out or just a test again?

2 Likes

I have regrets, but yay!
I think it’s out for good now!

4 Likes

No, it’s not out for everyone. I don’t have the option yet (Canada).

3 Likes

Why is Roblox not giving Display Names to everyone yet?

5 Likes

Woohoo! Still, a feature that they don’t release to all beta users!

It amazes me that they still accept 10 - 20 people every week for beta access and yet they barely use it, they instead still resort to releasing it to a % of users instead of beta users. I mentioned more about my mini-rant here on another post relating to the same exact issues.
#WhatIsThePointOfBeingBetaIfYourGonnaUse%Releasing

Can’t wait to see my post being flagged :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This kind of issue is why the Display Name should not be completely hidden in-game playerlist, chat box, and overhead names. The only way to see their full username is Esc’s playerlist, and click on a player in in-game playerlist for options.

There are some scripts that show both display name and username in chat box, solved problem. But since there’s no way to show both names in overhead names (because that’s impractical), so I wrote a simple script to replace Display Name with username- also made my own playerlist just to show only usernames. Because I cannot accept Display Name in my games for moderation and evidence reasons.

The key issue is the Display Name is not unique, so it could have 5 players with exactly same Display Names in same server. Anyone can call themselves as “ROBLOX” as well. Not a good feature at all.

2 Likes

Is it out?

(Roblox mobile app)

VPN is off.

2 Likes

I believe so. It seems to be working here in Australia with no VPN.

2 Likes

I noticed I can change my user while I’m not VPNed into Germany, has it been officially released?

2 Likes

It’s rolling out for some accounts in the US. My alt has display names as a setting, but by main does not.

Alt

Main

From this, I think display names will be fully rolled out to everyone in the next day or two.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think so. Another alt I have doesn’t have the option.

1 Like

I have it, for some reason. A few days ago, I didn’t have it. And @EuropoorSimulator yeah, I think it’s rolling out for some people in the US

1 Like

It has appeared that the display names are out for me, I guess it’s starting to roll out for parts of the united states.

I noticed that the display names came out for me about 1-2 days ago.
Pretty cool that it’s finally rolling out.

4 Likes

Do you mind if I ask where you live?

3 Likes

When the HR’s at roblox have a chaotic brain dump

4 Likes

that won’t work, that is just for localization and language and stuff

1 Like

I both like and dislike this at the same time, from both ends of the argument. I like it, because I can finally use an obscure name that I’ve wanted without worrying about an account that already exists with that name, but I dislike it because, as stated before, it’s what you see first in games.

This makes it confusing for a myriad of reasons, from multiple views. In war groups, we have forts we actively patrol, raid, and defend, and the display names have already caused some misunderstandings, such as a user using someone else’s username, acting out, and then leaving, so we can’t press Esc and see if it’s their actual name or a display name.

Impersonation is another issue, but everybody else has already brought that up. Another potential issue is if you need to remove someone from your game using an admin command; if they’re doing a quick hit and run, all you have is the display name to go by, not the username.

I do like this update, and I’m already using it myself, but there’s a lot of potential cons as well that I feel should try and be addressed. I know no update can be perfect, and some of these will be difficult to address, but the end result should be worth it.

EDIT: Something else I want to bring it is how similar it feels to Twitter now. You’ve got the display name, and then you have the account name, which now contains an @ in front, just like a Twitter handle.

2 Likes

I finally got display names!
What type of characters can I change it to?

2 Likes

Did some investigating, turns out its probably using the same setup the sign up screen uses unlike before with the chinese letters & newline bugs.
Only weird thing in the system is the fact & and # will not be filtered properly so it can make it seem like a name is valid but saving it wont work.

2 Likes