Introduction thread for new forum members

I already began posting within the past few weeks, and failed to notice this thread previously. My apologies.

1. How did you find Roblox?
My cousin and I found Roblox through an online advertisement, back in 2007. It was something along the lines of “you can build you own lego-like world” and such.

2. How did you get started with development on the Roblox platform?
I started messing around in the old “Build Mode,” which was like a combination of Edit Mode and testing, where you control your character in real time while also being able to script in it. Edit mode was a thing back then, but I didn’t use it at first. (This was before Filtering Enabled was even planned)

I learned to script by altering Free Model code to see how it changed. Frankly I took longer to grow as a developer overall than I would have liked. Fortunately, I do nearly everything myself nowadays.

Overall, my development is inspired by other games I played. My early development, including the first game mentioned in the next section, was inspired by games like Kingdom Hearts and the Pac Man World trilogy.

3. Current goals/achievements on the platform
I will start with achievements: I managed to make a multi-place game before universes were a thing, known as “Dark Blox Chronicles,” or “DBC” for short (Not just “Dark Blox,” that is a different game by someone else). It was story-based with platforming, combat (if you can even call it that), and at times, a puzzle or two. Since I grew slowly as a developer, I took far too long to develop that game and never finished. I started remaking it, but was overwhelmed and decided to move onto something more manageable. Fortunately I somehow managed to create something that my friends at the time appreciated. I may return to it in the future if I improve enough as a developer.

My current goal is to make a game called “Puzzle Dungeon,” where the player explores dungeons that they can manipulate by swapping rooms with each other and/or turning them around. Unlike with DBC, this game is not story-based (I may add a bit of a story later and definitely plan to add lore), so I eventually will be able to stop development at some point without it feeling incomplete. The game is rather niche, but I have had fun with it so far, and will be moving on to (and hopefully finishing) the fourth dungeon before the year ends. I make it my goal to try something new with each dungeon, both mechanics-wise and development-wise, not just to keep the dungeons fresh, but also to gain development experience.

Puzzle Dungeon also includes a combat system, which I am working on as part of a pseudo-ulterior motive: to make Player Vs. Environment combat that is actually fun, which DBC lacks and will need if I return to it someday. Fortunately, a good boss fight can be a puzzle in its own way!
4. What is your role in the developer community? (eg. GFX, UI Designer, Programmer, Builder etc)
As I have created my games 99.9% on my own (I have had friends help with a few things and so far have mostly used avatar bundles for my characters, which I almost always retexture and occasionally alter in Blender), I will list things relevant to my experience based on how confident and experienced I am with them. Whatever title I have on this forum is good enough; I simply figured I should share my progress on a handful of things. (Forgive me for not formatting this properly if there is a way to do so)
Certainly:

• Builder
  • Scripter
    Partially, but haven’t refined my skills in too much:
  • UI designer (script-wise I am decent, design-wise I have considerable room to improve)
  • Modeller (slightly, but I am aiming to improve with Blender)
  • Composer/Sound (nothing sound-effect wise yet; barely music-wise and on an inspirational basis, but I aim for my games’ entire soundtracks to consist of original music if they ever exist)
    Not really, but worth mentioning:
    Clothing (I have done very little, but a tiny bit for game characters and my own avatar)
    GFX (I have not looked into graphics effects yet, unless making a dungeon where the skybox and time of day change depending on which room you are in counts; I would like to change with this at some point)

5. Anything else you would like to include
As you can see (if not have seen already), my posts tend to be long. I try to avoid posting anything unless I feel I can offer something meaningful. My apologies for any inconvenience that provides. That all likely is part of my tendency to overcomplicate things, which could very well explain my situation with DBC as well as how niche Puzzle Dungeon is.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to being more of a member of this community!

Hi, Im 24k_Remz and I have made a lot of games but they are mostly test games and I have to say I am happy to be on the fourm!
-24k_Remz

Hey im Espectro also known as Esp, im a begginer 3D Artist looking to complete a dream

I found Roblox in 2014 by browsing on Youtube about random game to play.

I started developping in 2018 when I watched some of my friends and favorite youtubers create their own games so I decided to learn and start creating a basic obby game, later that year I started looking for a topic I liked about development and I decided 3D modeling was my thing!

My current goal is to make or participate in a sucessful game that can earn me enought funds to make my own project.

I also design GFX and im practicing 2D artwork.

Im very glad that after 5 years I can finally be part of this awesome and lovely community that the Developer Forum is and is a pleasure to meet more people.

Hey there! My name is endotonix (or endo for short) and I am honored to take part in this forum with so many talented individuals!! I started building on studio and soon fell in love with the design/construction process and welp, I ended up here. I am currently focusing on building but I’ve found a new interest in modelling and music composing, so we’ll see where that takes me.

Can’t wait to partake in this great community! <3

1 Like

Hello! I’m CGP, but I can also go by crazy! I am 14 and I joined roblox in mid 2016 and have been active ever since.
1. How did you find roblox?
I found roblox through a birthday card I got from a friend, on the back they told me to play roblox. At first I didn’t think much of the game because at the current time the screenshots for the mobile version were just long strings of text explaining the game, but once I got into the game I realized that it was much different from any other game I had played.
2. How did you get started with development on the Roblox platform?
I got started back at the beginning of 2018. I was interested in making a minigame based game, but I never had the right tools and experience to do something like that. I was thrown off of developing until around 2019, when I was learning to both animate and do more detailed building. Currently I’ve made a few mid effort games that don’t include scripting, as I have not learned LUA yet.
3. Current goals/achievements on the platform
I haven’t made many achievements as of late, but I have gotten on the moderator team for ObliviousHD in 2018. My goals is to create a game that’ll reach an audience of at least some people, as well as re-learn animation.
4. What is your role in the developer community?
I’m not very skilled at a specific thing, but i’m decent at building and animating. I’d say that i’m slightly better at building than I am with animation.
5. Anything else you would like to include
I’m working on a few projects that include the animation side, but other than that there’s not much else too it.

After a while I am finally a member of the devForum which makes me very happy and I answer the question:

1. I found roblox about 5 years ago because I saw that a youtuber had played it and I said “Wow, it looks like fun”, and I started playing it for a while, I have tried various experiences during this time, obbys, moguls, simulators, rpg, etc. ., and now I’m testing the experience of being part of the DevForum.

2. I started a few months ago because I saw several party games where people had fun and it seemed easy to do, then I opened roblox studio, I made my first map and I had my first virus because everything was from toolbox haha, but from then on no I gave up and tried to learn as much as possible, and here I am, I learned to scripts and build being the leader of my team.

3. My goal is to be able to create an experience different from the others, something new and fresh that many people will like.

4. I consider myself a programmer and a builder because I have knowledge of these two, but I would say that I am more of a programmer.

5. That I am very happy to be part of the DevForum, I really have several doubts about roblox studio and I hope to learn more in the future to help others.

1 Like

I am uhh SomeDude_20 because I randomly named myself that

1. I found Roblox because I watched some youtube videos and yeah

2. I started development because I saw a button saying Develop and I decided to click on that and so I saw “Create New Game” and that’s when I started randomly doing things

3. My goal is to create whatever comes to my mind, which currently I am trying to make a game where you select a morph, become a character and then you click on a button and then you have to defend a tower that has a certain amount of health against Zombies,

Every wave would be on a gui and the amount / type of Zombies change per wave

1. I can do Building but I can also do a little bit of Programming and im okay at animating

I have nothing else to include

Hi. I joined Roblox in 2018 but I have only gotten into scripting more recently

1. I found Roblox through a cousin

2. I started making stuff because I was interested in coding and Roblox lua seemed like a good place to start

3. I’m currently working on an a “choose your own adventure obby” and I want to learn to model some more complex levels for it.

4. I can build okay, I am an okay scripter, and I have some basic modeling skills

1: my friend used to play it at the library when I was doing actual library things
2:i started watching tutorials
3:getting 10k visits
4:scripting/modeling

Welcome! I wish you luck with your future endeavors! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hey! I’m get1224 and I have been developing for just a few years now. I found Roblox from mostly YouTube, when I first saw the platform, I realized how interesting it is having multiple games in one with so many active members. I have been on Roblox since 2016 and have not yet gotten bored of it since.

I started using Roblox Studio around 2019 and since then I have greatly improved my building, and game-planning skills.

My goal here is to make a successful open-world roleplaying game.

I’ve started off as a builder, but the past year or so I have been trying to learn my way around Blender to create better models. Here recently I’ve had one of my developers fall inactive so I have been trying to learn scripting to make up for it, and it has so far been going good.

I have been reading this forum since the beginning of my Developing Journey and I am very glad to have been accepted here, and I’m very excited to see what it has to offer and my future within Roblox Studio and the Forum.

[quote=“KnightGaladeld, post:1, topic:40896”]

• How did you find Roblox? I found ROBLOX due to friend recommendations in 2015.
  • How did you get started with development on the Roblox platform? I got bored one day and decided to learn how to script in Lua from websites and I self-taught myself a lot.
  • Current goals/achievements on the platform. My goal is to get better at building and 3D modelling. My programming skills are half competent but 3D modelling is something that I wish I could do.
  • What is your role in the developer community? (eg. GFX, UI Designer, Programmer, Builder etc) Programmer

Hello everyone! I’m Danialhalim680, also known as DanialYT. So excited that I’ve finally made it into the Dev Forum!

1. I heard Roblox back in August 2017 via my friends, so I decided to give it a try!
  2. Encouragement makes me wanted to build games of my own.
  3. Making a successful game and also meet other top developers!
  4. My current role would be a UI Designer!
  5. I would also like to thank the Roblox team for accepting me as a Dev Forum Member since I can now share my opinions and help other devs. Well, I think that’s it from me. Thank you for listening, stay safe and have a nice day/night! :smiley:

Hello, I’m Gobi. I found Roblox around 4 or 5 years back and I can’t remember how I found Roblox. I started learning how to script and realized it wasn’t my thing.
My current goals are to try to get invited to the RDC next year, and get regular commissions.
As for my role, I am a graphic designer.

Hello, I am Encrypted. I discovered Roblox through a group of friends in 6th grade that introduced me to phantom forces. Since then, I began exploring into Roblox deeper for my own enjoyment. After being able to experience the diverse amount of games splattered across the multiverse, beginning with sci-fi role-play groups all the way to the ancient era and the Napoleonic era, I was amazed at the limits of being able to expand your imagination on the platform.

I began development after having the inspiration to do GFX 2 years ago through the help of youtube tutorials (I also just started modeling too).

My current goals are to reach 1m visits for a new project that Im doing by the end of 2021 and to also to learn new skills in modeling. Thanks for reading!

I do not quite remember how I found Roblox since it was a long time ago, but I believe a friend showed me it.
I started developing because It was fun, I don’t do it for profit. Mainly just a hobby for my free time.
A goal I have on this platform is something I feel like is every developers goal, getting a Bloxy Award.
My role in developing is overall Game Design.
I do developing as a hobby, I like realistic games and fps games on Roblox. You can call me soda
Thanks for allowing me to be apart of the forum.

Welcome to Devforum! Hope to see more post about your amazing game! :smiley:

I found Roblox when I was like 6 since then I’ve been learning the possibilities of Roblox and Roblox Studio.

I think the first time I opened Roblox Studio was when I was like 7 or 8 and I from there my knowledge expanded on Studio and the endless possibilities.

My current goal is to get better at scripting and developing in general.

I would say my role is a Programmer.

I am 14 now and I would say I have a pretty good understanding of how to use and a decent grasp on scripting.

1 Like

Oh boy, how did I not see this until now? Welp, I’m definitely still new, so here goes.

How I found Roblox

I found Roblox quite a while ago; early 2015. Basically, my little MacBook Air got an update before my previous favourite game, Minecraft, got support for the new OS. During my rare moment of boredom (hadn’t found Steam yet lol), I searched around for something new, and saw a video ad in the corner of my screen. It was fairly basic, but it went something like “John made a fighter jet…Paul made a car…” etc etc. I was hooked on the idea of building functional mechanical things, so I made an account.

How I got started developing with Roblox

After ‘discovering’ the Neighbourhood of Robloxia for a few months, I installed Studio and tried giving development a shot. I quickly got stuck, though, and gave up. Next time, I started an airline and needed airports. I had a friend do most of the building, but I still tried to help. It got me a little more familiar. When I kept trying every so often to make other projects, I got better and better working on little models to be used later on. I eventually quit because Studio kept crashing and running slowly on my laptop. It was poor, but little did I know I had a free model virus from when I tried the very first time to develop. About a year ago, I figured this out, cleared the viruses and got going. I’ve been excitedly working since then. Facepalm of the century, though.

Achievements/my goals

My current goals are to slowly work on my game prototypes (going well so far!), and to avoid spending any Robux whatsoever until I earn some from a game; as motivation to learn the basics of scripting Lua(u?), mainly. I have tons of games that I planned out over the years that I can’t wait to finally be equipped to create. As for achievements in the past tense, I recently made my first proper mesh model (yay!!!). Low-poly in performance but not in looks, I hope.

Current role in the community

Current role in the community? Well, from the badge, mainly a game designer, as I really love that sort of thing. My best/most developed (heheh) ‘hard’ skill is probably building. I’m fairly decent at that to my standards, and I like mid-poly yet realistic styles best. Next is likely GFX. I’m here to have fun learning to be a developer.

That’s all! Thanks everyone. Have a great day.

Hi! Am happy to be part of the DevForum. Lol.