Large disparity between Studio solo test performance and actual game performance

While testing a rain script, I’ve experienced an extreme difference between performance on Studio’s solo playtest and the actual Roblox client.

The following is the observed performance for the game linked below
In-game performance: 110-140 FPS
Studio solo play performance: 30-40 FPS

For the purpose of this bug report I will consider 110-140 FPS to be the expected performance (even if I actually don’t, see here for more info).

I fully anticipate there being small discrepancies between the performance on Studio and on the Roblox client, but it should not be this large. In some scenarios (examples in other games), the degradation on Studio’s solo play is so bad I simply cannot be expected to get any work done (5-12 FPS).

I have no reproduction steps for this issue, as it seems to be unique to my environment. I have tested the game on a separate system (laptop) and was not able to reproduce the issue. I have asked friends to test the game and they do not experience the issue. I have tried reinstalling studio. I have disabled all plugins. I have disabled all beta features.

Video of in-game performance:

Video of Studio solo test:

System Information for my computer (where the problem is occurring):
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
32.0 GB of memory
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
Windows 10 22H2

System Information for the laptop:
12th Gen Intel Core i5-12450H
16.0 GB of memory
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 6GB Laptop + Intel UHD Graphics
Windows 10 22H2

Game Link

A private message is associated with this bug report

4 Likes

Have you tried resetting your Studio settings?

Would you know where Studio’s settings are stored locally so I may back them up before resetting them?

You want the GlobalBasicSettings xml files in %localappdata%\roblox

Thank you for the pointers. Defaulting my settings fixed the issue, and after comparing GlobalSettings.xml files, I found the problem setting to be

<bool name="LoadAllBuiltinPluginsInRunModes">true</bool>

being set to true.

This happens with, as far as I’m aware, only default Studio plugins loaded. My plugins folder is empty and all plugins in the manager are disabled. Perhaps just having certain plugins installed is causing the issue, despite them not being enabled at all?

Update:
On my laptop, checking this setting and running game brings performance down a noticeable amount, but not as bad as my main machine. This laptop has no plugins installed at all. A friend of mine who has similar plugins to me, but less plugins overall, experiences the exact same issue with the setting checked.

Interesting. I would not expect that much degradation with the setting on, the main expected difference with that setting on is that it will take longer to load a test play but not that the framerate will be lower during that play.

1 Like

@Kenth3132 can you repro the 5-12 FPS play solo performance issue (with the default LoadAllBuiltinPluginsInRunModes setting) now? We had a separate Studio performance issue that was resolved yesterday afternoon and I’d love to hear if this part of the problem is still present. Thanks!

Still experiencing the issue unfortunately.

this has been an issue for months, i share same gpu and ram as you, as well as same cpu family (ryzen 7), and some did tell me it was because of stuff like toolbox or something

Hi,

“Built-in plugins” refers to Roblox functionality in Studio, like Toolbox or Terrain Editor (most of them are under the “View” Ribbon, some of them are under Avatar and Model). These can be disabled for Play Solo, and not loading them should result in increased performance, because you’re not loading them (faster Play Solo Start) and also, they don’t take up memory and CPU cycles.

If you are using any of the plugins during Play Solo, please let us know.

Also, there is a separate workstream to improve Studio Performance right now. The contents of this bug report are addressed as part of that work: reduce the number of slowdowns and crashes in Studio. (See the Summer roadmap)

All of tests only involved walking around the test place; I did not interact with any plugins during testing.

The degradation I experience when enabling this setting is much higher than what I believe should be acceptable, in addition to this being a new issue given that I’ve had this setting checked for years. Hopefully this workstream can resolve these issues.
With all said, I am perfectly able to work around this by simply not using the setting, and I don’t use plugins in play solo often or even at all.

1 Like

Are you still able to reproduce this?

Could you share 2 microprofiler captures, one with the rain on and one with the rain off for us to compare?

Reproduction is still possible.
Here are the captures:
microprofile_noRain.html (875.1 KB)
microprofile_yesRain.html (1.3 MB)