Light Guides - Visual Assists for Light Projection

A fix for this is coming next week. It should also make support for large angles better, since the light guides don’t really help much when they span your entire workspace.

5 Likes

Perfect, and final question; are there any plans to make it so the display will show up if you have the parent part selected rather then the light source itself? This is more of a tedious request, if you’re trying to adjust your light sources quickly (and you have a lot of them) it will become relatively tedious to switch between to two!

2 Likes

This was the original plan, but due to performance concerns, we decided not to implement it this way. For now, you’ll have to select the lights + parent part(s) if you want to be able to see light guides while moving things around.

9 Likes

This is really amazing and helpful update. I will use this definitely, when I will work on my horror game.
Good job! :+1:

1 Like

This looks to be very useful! Are there any plans to include an inner and outer range i.e. one guide that shows up to where the light begins to fade out and one guide showing where it finishes fading? Additionally, are there any plans for including brightness in the calculations since it can produce some odd looking results (see images) that don’t really match up with what you can see?

Note: Images taken using ShadowMap with no visual effects applied.

SurfaceLight.Brightness = 3

SurfaceLight.Brightness = 40

8 Likes

If you’re editing a lot of lights, I have to recommend this plugin. Makes all of the lights in your place selectable in the viewport and also makes this new visualization more quickly accessible!

1 Like

I’m in love. I never used light projection because I thought it was too hard. I’m looking forward to a new age of advanced lighting used by all of Robloxia!

2 Likes

Well I guess I have to say bye to this plugin…

I highly appreciate such update as it really comes handy when working with lights!

2 Likes

Had a very glitchy plugin for this in the past really cool that i can have an official roblox feature now

We currently do not have plans to support visualization of fading behavior, but we’ll definitely take note of this suggestion.

6 Likes

Are there any plans for raycast visualization? Bit unrelated to lighting but it would be useful to have such feature built-in.

2 Likes

Best Ray For this lighting Beautiful.

1 Like

This is a great feature. It will help with builders and scripters all around

1 Like

This makes me extremely happy. Instead of randomly guessing where light was projected and using excessive guessing, I can actually visualize where light will be! Freaking amazing, thank you so much!

2 Likes

Super excited for this update! For years I’ve had to rely on plugins for this feature or just guess and checking.

This update works perfectly with future lightning, but really shines on some of the older lighting settings. Having a visualization of where the light will be projected onto will save so me the headache of figuring it out on my own.

1 Like

i have some random question about this
if this update is here, will this replace the 3 light options like surfacelight, spotlight, and pointlight

1 Like

I’m assuming by this you mean having the ability to add a visual element like a laser when making a raycast, correct? This is more-so client than studio-related, but I’ll take a note of your request. In the meantime you may want to look into using cylinders, or handle adornments relatively positioned to the caster to get the results you’re looking for (If you haven’t done so already).

3 Likes

this is half-useless, half good

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct.

I’ve done it but it just takes a bit time to set it up.

1 Like

I don’t see anything wrong with this update just makes lighting a scene 10x easier, this is great Roblox thank you and keep up with the updates. I love launching studio and it saying there is an update puts a big smile on my face!

1 Like