Light not rendering in seemingly random chunks

In (seemingly) random chunks, all light sources will fail to render; cutting off at the exact border of the chunk.

These will appear randomly and persist upon loading/offloading an area with StreamingEnabled. They are not synced across players. Rejoining will change the location of these chunks. It has been observed on Mac and Windows.

47 Likes

Having similar problems with my game!

12 Likes

Having similar issues in my own game Greenville: (Renault 5) Greenville - Roblox

We use Shadowmap lighting and StreamingEnabled.

10 Likes

Can confirm this is happening, even in studio
RobloxScreenShot20240624_191819694
Seems to only happen whenever I move the camera far away from where I started

7 Likes

Pretty sure this must be related, because I haven’t changed anything in my game in days and this is no longer working correctly.

The suppressor is supposed to become red over time, I do this by overlaying a transparent part with decals on top of it, and then adjust the transparency of the decals. This has worked flawlessly for a long time, and now it doesn’t start working until I click on the part.

(I assume not until the highlight updates it)

(Moving far enough from where I spawned makes it start working too)

7 Likes

This has been happening in my game Scary Sushi for some days now. I can’t reproduce it, but getting a lot of complaints – so not sure what to do. Seems to be random. From reports, seems to happen after the cutscenes when the camera is quickly moved around the map. I don’t have streaming enabled though.

(these pictures/videos are from users)

6 Likes

having this issue as well. sometimes completely miscolored lights which don’t exist show up as well. (voxel lighting)

6 Likes

I’m also experiencing this issue: PTA Subway: Fifth Av Lines - Roblox

Another game: [V1.4.4] Realistic Boiling Water Reactor Simulator - Roblox

9 Likes

Oh, and: Newport Av Lines Development - Roblox

9 Likes

You get the idea lol

7 Likes

I was able to reproduce it 100% in Studio for Scary Sushi. When a player dies, I respawn their character in a holding room pretty far away from the starting position while the death menu plays – then when they are ready to revive I move their character back to the starting position, at which point the lights would be broken.

I just moved the death holding room directly under the starting position (so a lot closer than it used to be) and the issue went away (at least what I was able to reproduce in Studio).

Definitely seems to be linked to the loading and unloading of assets.

6 Likes

This seems to be a very big issue currently. ROBLOX Staff need to take a in-depth review as there’s a major bug going around it appears.

I lowered graphics and it looks improved, vs with it up…

7 Likes

Happens in my game:

5 Likes

what I said above: does it look improved lowering graphics?

5 Likes

I even had it happen to me personally in Phantom Forces of all games

6 Likes

I have been having an issue like this this in studio as well. (Voxel Lighting and streamingEnabled)

8 Likes

happens on Speed run 4 also. i think this effects almost every single game

8 Likes

As seen in a previous post, this is also seen in Roblox Studio.

5 Likes

I had my game working for the past few years with no issue. Now players are reporting the same shadow bug you demonstrated in the video. The game is now unplayable because it depends on flashlights to move around the map. Here is my view of the issue:

I have tried it on multiple clients. Some clients experience the problem at a specific spot, whereas others have the light render with no issue on the same spot.
I got the first report 3 hours ago at about 8:43 Eastern Time.

8 Likes

Haven’t updated the public version of my game for a few months and it’s now experiencing this issue. Something interesting I’ve noticed is that after a user returns to the main menu and respawns the lighting seems to work normally, however this “fix” does not work by simply respawning.

I’m using ShadowMap but not StreamingEnabled. I do not see these issues in studio.

My development version of the game works fine too, the major difference is it is utilizing Future lighting technology instead of ShadowMap.

7 Likes