Lighting and material LoD seemingly completely broken on desktop

Reproduction Steps

I’ve recieved quite a few reports that the lighting in our game “Super Slime Simulator” is suddenly appearing incorrectly for certain users, and both me and my development partner have been able to confirm this is the case and are unable to offer our players a fix.

Below is the game on Xbox with the lighting looking how it should, and below that is how the lighting is suddenly appearing on my own computer, even with graphics set to the highest setting. Both of these screenshots were taken only minutes apart on new servers. It should be noted that it looks completely fine in Studio as well, so this is likely an issue exclusive to the roblox player.

Edit: Game Link: Super Slime Simulator - Roblox

The game makes use of the Future lighting technology, and so far as I can tell our other game using the Shadowmap lighting technology is not affected.

Expected Behavior

I would expect our custom surface appearance materials to have normal maps when graphics are set to high, and for lighting detail to also adjust accordingly to match the settings I’ve set.

Actual Behavior

The level of detail seems to be stuck on the lowest possible setting, though certain cast shadows still seem to appear regardless.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Display
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-11-10 10:11:00 (-08:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-11-10 00:11:00 (-08:00)

4 Likes

Same issue here with my game
I assume this is affecting all games using Future lighting?

1 Like

This is happening in my experience that has Future enabled as well.

1 Like

Yep seems to have broken in the last couple hours

2 Likes

Thanks for the report. It should be good now.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is related but I found an intermittent problem with Future lighting also, in the past 2 days, on and off, plastic parts with reflectance set to anything but 0 are rendered with the color black.

screenshot:

The black parts are supposed to be red and yellow, they are the same as the colored part, but with reflectance set to .1

Sometimes when I test this the colors have been correct, I don’t know why it is intermittent but it failed last night, worked most of today, then failed again around 2pm Eastern time.

and now it is working correctly yet again:

place:

Looks like the same issue. It won’t happen again.

1 Like

yeah getting the same issue, roblox has broken future lighting

sad that its been broken for months :frowning:

Hey everyone. Just wanted to make sure everything is ok here. Are y’all still having issues? Lmk, I can get in touch with the engineers if necessary.