Live Animation Creator [Beta]

another option is to rotate the player backwards while the animation is playing with a script

1 Like

This is absolutely mind blowing. This WILL make animations so easy to make. I cannot believe that this is part of the Roblox engine.

1 Like

I think it’s that and also the fact that it does have a bit of a limit on how many movements it can process due to framerate caps

This is just about the coolest update ever. Amazing!
The timing couldn’t have been better, I was literally just starting to work on an animation-heavy project and wishing this was going to be out soon, and here it is!!!
Going to get to work tomorrow! :tada:

Update: I’ve used it, and I love it! It works far better than I imagined! That said, I’ve used it with optimal conditions; bright lighting, empty room with light walls, subject fully in frame, no super dark clothing (so limbs are easy to distinguish) etc. I imagine that results will vary.

There are of course some issues:

• Sometimes animations import backwards
  • They usually import off center so I have to reposition them frame by frame
  • Too many frames in the animation (I delete a bunch, only keeping every 5th(ish) frame)
  • Occasional weirdness

But overall it’s a HUGE time saver. I’d much rather polish a complete animation than try to figure out how to build one from scratch. Extremely useful, even in it’s beta state.

2 Likes

I. LOVE. THIS :heart:

This is a huge step for Roblox, and it marks a great moment on the platform. I can’t wait to see what updates will come in the future!

1 Like

I’m a menace

12 Likes

Amazing! This is going to save hours of our precious time and will open an opportunity for most games to have more smooth/realistic animations.

1 Like

Loving the dance moves.

What a great feature

1 Like

OMG, being a solo dev. this is the best thing ever. if it works well. i’m about to go nuts with the things i create

1 Like

I don’t understand why everyone is excited and happy - in my opinion this is pretty useless. What will animators do after this update? Now it’s “easy” to make animations.

And how can we trust the quality of this feature? Can it process the movements well? Is it good enough to replace animators? If it’s not, then this is useless. If it is, that would be bad for people specialized in being an animator.

Also, I can’t see any info about what is done with the video. Is it deleted after it has been processed? I wouldn’t feel comfortable if I ever upload a video to a platform that doesn’t describe what will be done with the video - if nothing is done, that should be specified.

Please stop replying to my opinion like a bully, I’m getting stressed enough with the aggressive replies since they’re making me feel guilty. I wanted to share my opinion. Sure, it did have some flaws but I corrected them, and I won’t change my mind with the remaining part which is still true in my opinion. Please do not continue this unnecessary discussion, it’s getting off-topic already. I’ve already presented the reasons to why I think this is useless, and many added more about why it’s not. Just like the posts you agree with. Only reply if you’ve got something to add, and do that respectfully. Not just to me, but to any person who has an unusual opinion on something.

3 Likes

So far it seems only useful for dances or basic expressions, which was what I was expecting as it’s not an actual motion capture rig anyways

1 Like

Oh my god, yes, just yes, i don’t have words to explain how excited i was for this!

2 Likes

This is an amazing feature! When I’m scripting assets for fellow developers, such as weapons, I usually need animations, but I’m not the best animator, so this will help a lot! Thank you @Roblox!

2 Likes

No need to be so negative. This is a great feature that simplifies things for many users. The “robots are taking our jobs” thing is kinda inevitable, seeing as Roblox is a tech platform, in which one goal is to make game creation as accessible as possible. Also, I’m sure many devs will still commission animators for the more complex things that this fails at. No need to worry :wink:

7 Likes

This is so absolutly sick! I love this alot, good update roblox :smiley:

1 Like

The update only allows for quick 15 second animations. In addition, live animations aren’t perfect, and if you want a good result, you’d probably need to do manual animating over the mocap.

This isn’t meant as a replacement for animators, it’s simply just another avenue to creating animations. That in no way means it’s “useless.”

That’s awesome! Would it work if we send in a video of a Fortnite animation or would it need to be a real person? What about copyrighted materials… Would it take a video of Cardi B dance routine? Thanks.

This is revolutionary! I can’t wait to see how it compares with hand crafted animation, and how much easier it can make a development teams job!

Definitely work to be still done, but its so good!

I was already talking about < 15 second animations, apologies for it not being clear. I use long animations so rarely that I forgot that some people do do that.

Yes, I know, that’s what I meant with the “quality” thing.

That’s good, but what I don’t understand is that people reply with so much hype that to me it looks like they will use this feature for all of their (short) animations. It does simplify the process, but I’d personally like humans conscious of what they’re doing to make the animations.

I don’t think a video processing AI would produce precise results, at least for me. I’d like to know exactly how the stuff I make are. That’s kind of like why literally no one uses the “UI Editor” in Studio, but I’m terrible at finding comparable examples so this might not be a correct comparasion.

Pretty much all of the answers I’ve given are personal opinions. The main and more objective thing I’m worried about is this:

1 Like

This is some REALLY, REALLY, REALLY amazing stuff. This is a historic moment unfolding right in front of our eyes here at Roblox. It may not be perfect, but it’s amazing to see in a platform like this. The community can’t wait to see this in action! We’re all very, VERY excited!

1 Like