Live Scripting Beta

Hi Roblox Creators,

Today we are introducing Live Scripting beta! This has been a long time coming and we are super excited to finally share it with you!

image2

Collaboration results in more sophisticated Roblox experiences and our goal has always been to make it as easy as possible. Live Scripting is a big step in this direction enabling you to code together in real-time. Live Scripting is based on Team Create and it will resolve many of the current friction points in Studio: no need to apply changes anymore, no locking hurdles, and no need for script recovery popups!

Live Scripting automatically saves your scripts every 5 minutes and upon closing (similar to Team Create). You can also save your scripts any time by pressing ctrl/cmd + s. These saved versions will be accessible in the Script Version History. As a result of these autosaves, we are removing the script recovery feature in live scripting mode.

Of course, we know that it’s not always good to immediately propagate changes to others, especially when working on very complex experiences. As a result, Collaborative Editing mode (soon to be renamed to “Drafts” mode) will be available and we are committed to making it better. Live Scripting will be the new default script editing mode for Studio in Team Create. In the long term we plan to make switching between Live Scripting and Drafts as easy and seamless as possible.

How to try it

To ensure cohesive collaboration among your team while working on the same experience, the Live Scripting beta opt-in is configured at the place level, rather than the account level. This approach guarantees that you and your teammates engage in the Beta environment simultaneously. You can enroll in Live Scripting by going to workspace properties and enabling EditorLiveScript under Scripting. (Make sure that Collaborative Editing (aka Drafts) mode is off). The first time you turn Live Scripting on, you will need to restart the place (all collaborators need to close the place at the same time and once everybody is out, they can reopen it to restart the server).

image1

Live Scripting is based on the new ScriptEditorService:UpdateSourceAsync API as it’s our recommended method for editing script source. Plugins that use script.Source there will face discrepancies in script values. You can find more information about this change here.

Many thanks to @yohooyohoo,@idevride,@swmaniac,@code4xp,@BobaTops,@sleepyguyray,@iamyourblackjack,@ignotuscaligo,@cruiser_forever,@yipiokay,@Dogekidd2012,@tnavarts,@montximontxi,@lovedanihonjin,@HugoBLH,@altisaltaccount,@ResetVector and @Rusi_002 for making this possible!

This is a beta and as always your feedback is greatly appreciated and crucial for improvement.

Thank you!

439 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

You mean I don’t have to spam call on Discord telling people to leave scripts?

Top 10 update, would buy again!

186 Likes

This has been long overdue! Thank you for finally implementing this :slight_smile:

I noticed in the preview GIF that the tooltip when editing wait(2) was pink. Is that just a user theme thing, or are tooltips affected by this update?

52 Likes

3 programmers in the same code at once will surely result in chaos. Nice update, though.

80 Likes

Tooltips should be the same as before

31 Likes

How long do we have until someone runs a contest with teams of way-too-many scripters to design a single model in a very tight time limit, streaming the script live as every creator tries to write functions all at once?

47 Likes

This has been so longer overdue, no more having to wait for someone to close out a script just to change a couple things. 10/10 update. Keep adding things like this. This is the kind of stuff the Developer Community wants.

33 Likes

Ladies and gentlemen. A new amazing Roblox update just dropped for us developers, this will be so fun!

28 Likes

This is amazing and certainly one of the most important things that got me excited when announced at RDC…

Hopefully this paves the way for Visual Studio Code Sync!!!

18 Likes

im excited for 100 programmers to get into a single script and try writing anything :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
good update anyways, we always needed this

23 Likes

This is a great update until yo- 500 Internal Server Error

jokes aside, how will this work alongside plugins that work with the script editor, notably UpdateSourceAsync and the callbacks

12 Likes

This is genuinely a massive feature which should have been added a while ago. Thank you for this amazing feature :heart:

12 Likes

:happy3: A really amazing feature! I have tried this feature before it has been announced and I must say it was really amazing.

10 Likes

It makes it much simpler to script with others. I’ve seen this in the workspace and have already used it.

I previously visited websites to code with my developer friends.

12 Likes

This is one of my personal most anticipated features for Roblox, and although I do not actively develop anymore it’s still super exciting to see and to know if any of my friends ever wants to try their hand at scripting Roblox will be my goto place to try and teach them.

14 Likes

OH MY GOODNESS YES! I have been waiting for this for so long. Excellent string of updates recently!

12 Likes

This is incredible! This change will be so useful to any collaborative creators looking to increase workflow and work together more closely, team create is feeling more team-oriented already. Bravo!

Shame it will all be for nothing when the policy update gets pushed.

12 Likes

This tech is cool. However, I feel the need to ask: who is the target market for this type of feature (not a joke question; I feel like I am missing something)? In the teams I have worked on, which I would describe as small, we typically work on different systems and playtest our changes independently. In theory, this would cause everyone else’s current, incomplete code to immediately be picked up during your play sessions. This is where “Collaborative Editing”, soon to be renamed draft mode, makes sense for us, and how the Software Engineering field has gone with version control.

Are there plans to move the setting out of Workspace and into the game settings like collaborative editing? Seems weird to have similar, mutually exclusive settings in different places.

Glad someone else mentioned this. I tried out the API yesterday without knowing someone turned on live editing… and uh… it really didn’t work.

Edit: An engineer messaged me about this issue. This is a bug with… something, but not sure what. This issue happens if there is corrupted data being sent, but I can’t reproduce the issue outside of the shared development game I work on.

21 Likes

I’m disappointed. This isn’t what I thought it would be. I thought we’d be able to see game updates in real-time without having to wait for them to be published. That’s on me for misinterpreting it.

8 Likes