Live with Level Up: Game Expansions ft RedManta

levelup

Hey developers!

Throughout the year, the Game Insights Team hosts roundtable discussions, workshops, and Q&A sessions to help Level Up your game design skills. In addition to this, we just launched a brand new YouTube channel where we will be uploading recordings of the live events!

Game Expansions - Featuring RedManta

We sat down with the team at RedManta to talk all about the do’s and don’ts for building game expansions! In this roundtable, we chat about what it takes to manage, balance, and support the development of additional content for your live games and experiences. Along with these broader insights, the team also shares their experiences delivering the RHS Seasons and World//Zero Tower releases.

If you’ve ever been interested in learning the fundamentals of LiveOps, this is a great place to start!

:arrow_forward: Watch the roundtable on YouTube!

More Sessions Coming Soon!

Subscribe and stay tuned for more Level Up videos. Each video will feature insight and game design best practices from some of the most successful developers on Roblox!

81 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 6 minutes.

I’m extremely excited to see the future of the Level Up series! It’s great that these resources are being available for more and more developers! Game Design is definitely one of the most overlooked skills.

8 Likes

This first episode has really given me an exclusive insight into how to sustainably ship and release new in-game features whilst being able to monetize and retain players, I’m definitely going to be applying a lot of the advice to my future projects as this really is useful to take on.

If you’re working on a game, whether you’re by yourself or in a team, I’d highly recommend watching this series. :blue_heart:

Massive props to the team for working on this, thank you!!!

10 Likes

Very excited for this! These are extremely insightful and helpful. Game design is one of the most important skills to have developing and I’m happy more tutorials for the community are being made on it. I love this, and think you are all doing a great job! Thank you Red Manta and Game Insights Team!

If you have a game or are planning to make one these are absolutely amazing to watch and use. I recommend them 100% to everyone learning this.

4 Likes

See how much RedManta has grown, now they are colaboratting with Roblox.

3 Likes

Their growth has been exponential. I’m extremely happy to see them collaborating with Roblox and can’t wait to see what they bring in the future.

3 Likes

Is like job with your parents, right?

2 Likes

We’re so glad you’ve found it useful! Plenty of more awesome content on the way :grin:

8 Likes

That’s because it truly is very useful! I, along with many others, I am sure, cannot wait to see it! Thank you again!

2 Likes

Ohh this sounds VERY VERY interesting, glad that im able to be the 81st sub lol!

1 Like

Sure thing! What topics would you all like to see discussed in the future?

6 Likes

When you are working on a game and using game design, and something serious happens that may halt development majorly, how do developers in teams manage to keep going and cater to updates that may be scheduled to come out? I’m curious because development conflicts seem like something serious that would be hard to overcome, especially when a major developer or team lead is affected. Do you all have any tips? I am curious.

I work alone so I am curious how teams do this!

2 Likes

Good question! Unexpected events come up in production ALL the time. As a development team you learn to be flexible so that when those events do come up, you have a backup plan in place. This can happen in several forms -

1. You may adjust your roadmap. Where maybe you were planning a release every week, maybe because of unforeseen events you choose to slow down – maybe releasing every 2 weeks or once a month. It highly depends on what the capability is of your team in that moment.

2. You may delay the release that is impacted. In the example you gave, maybe a critical team member for that release is now unavailable. As a team it is ok to take a step back and say “we’ll have to push this until later on. In the meantime what can we deliver to our players with the team currently available?”

3. You may choose to cut the feature all together. Sometimes either through some event occurring or your team coming to the conclusion that this is not the right feature for the game, it is ok to completely pivot and try something new. Really at the end of the day it can seem like a catastrophic decision to make but ultimately the vast majority of the time it is the right decision.

Hope this helps!

10 Likes

I would like to see:

{

--Advertisement techniques
-- How do people retain players?
};
4 Likes

This will be covered in an upcoming Level Up video, stay tuned! :grin:

12 Likes

This truly helps out majorly- Thank you so much for clarifying all this! I plan to someday have a team, once I get a big enough budget (and game!) For now, I run a small studio of my own named Salty Clouds! It’s brand new and I haven’t done much with it yet. Your words help me out a ton!

3 Likes

There are many management methods out there such as agile, waterfall and such and management apps like trello, monday and so much more. I was wondering which of them would suit best for roblox development

2 Likes

I enjoyed the episode, good questions and some interesting discussions. The only thing I did not like was the background, I would rather prefer just a normal background (no green-screen etc). If someone doesn‘t want to show their background then have a lighter and more pleasant background as the current one felt like they sat inside a dark dungeon inside a medieval castle.

Nevertheless, great work!

1 Like

Hey Loki! The short answer is: it depends. Team size is certainly a factor as the smaller the team, the less moving parts. Your project and project goals may also play a big factor. Probably the biggest factor however is: what works best for your team? Any producer will tell you that the system you use is the system that works best for everyone on your team. Is your team extremely goal oriented? It might be beneficial then to use a system that breaks down and tracks each and every task like jira/hacknplan. Is your team more laid back and milestone driven? Trello might get the job done.

I would recommend trying a system that you like first and then make adjustments depending on feedback from your team. Best practice, regardless of the system that you use, is to sync with your team every once in awhile and discuss the process: What works well? What doesn’t work at all? What processes can be improved? Over time you will slowly move towards the system that works best for everyone.

2 Likes