Local Asset Manager - A local file importing tool

Local Asset Manager

Quick Look

Local Asset Manager is a file importing tool. It allows you to create temporary assets that you can use in your games. (Without uploading said files to Roblox’s servers.) Currently you can import: Images, Audio Files, Text Files and Roblox Model Files. You can also import Mesh Files and Video Files, however those files are not guaranteed to work as intended.

Installing the Plugin

linkto Install

To get this plugin to work, you will have to install it first!

During the installation, you might be prompted with a request for Script Injection Permissions. It is fully up to you if you want to trust the plugin with those permissions or not. Denying Script Injection Permissions might make some features unavailable.

Plugin Source Code

If you do not trust this plugin 100%, you can check its source code by typing this command in the Command Bar.
(You need to get the Plugin on Roblox before you can view its source code!)
game:GetObjects("rbxassetid://8479275522")[1].Parent = game

(Please do NOT reupload the original plugin as it is, if you want, you can modify it and then publish the modified plugin, also please link to the original plugin and make the modified version free! Do NOT reupload this plugin with malicious code in it!)

Setting up Shortcuts

If you want, you can set up plugin shortcuts in the Customize Shortcuts... menu.

To check all the available shortcut options go to FILE > Advanced > Customize Shortcuts...

You can filter out Local Asset Manager’s shortcuts by typing Local Asset Manager in the Search Actions textbox.

Planned Updates

• Long Lasting Assets (I tried to do this, but Roblox Local Files only last for one DataModel session, when you exit a game, all your local files are lost and not usable in other DataModels… If Roblox decides to change this in the future, I have code ready to support this.)

• Better Inserting (In the future, I want to make a system similar to toolbox’s inserting system, where you can drag assets and they would insert where you dragged that asset to.)

Troubleshooting

Sometimes, some assets might fail to import correctly, you will be prompted a message when that happens. A good thing to know is that if you switch file extensions just by changing the extension name (and not by converting it normally) you might end up with a corrupted file.

Images

Some Images might be unsupported by Roblox, if you see Images with the default icon or Images loading forever that might indicate that either the Image you imported is unsupported by Roblox or the file was not imported correctly.

Video Files

Currently, VideoFrames don’t support local assets and only support video files uploaded to Roblox’s servers, you can still import video files and the ‘Videos’ section will remain there in case something changes in the future.

Meshes

I was unable to get meshes working correctly, so importing meshes is pretty much useless. The ‘Meshes’ section will remain there (faded out) in case something changes in the future. A warning is given when trying to open the ‘Meshes’ section.

Version History

Patch 1.3.1
  • Fixed an issue where an Unknown File would display the wrong thumbnail in the asset window.

Update 1.3

View Original Reply

Well, its been a while (sorry for the lack of updates) and a new update is out. Here is the list of what has changed!

• Added basic audio controls in the Asset Page window.

• The buttons inside the Asset Page window got reworked just a little bit. The old “Exit” button is removed and replaced with the “Apply To Selection” button. To exit the Asset Page window click on the new X button in the top-right corner or anywhere outside the Asset Page window.

• Added a new function, “Apply To Selection”, this is similar to copying an Asset Id an pasting it inside an instance, but with one click and no copying and pasting.

• Added the Context Menu, current quick actions are: “Pin/Unpin”, “Insert” and “Apply To Selection”. Access these quick actions by right clicking any asset tile.

• Improved the sizes of some UI to support different plugin widget sizes. (Basically, the UI got improved a little bit and looks better on huge plugin widget sizes.)

• Fixed some text clipping with some UI objects.

• Fixed some typos.

A picture of the new Asset Page window!

Update 1.2

View Original Reply

• Added plugin settings, you can now modify how certain aspects of the plugin function. Settings are saved across plugin versions and Studio sessions.

• Added a warning message when attempting to import assets in Run Mode. For some reason, assets imported while in Run Mode turn out corrupted.

• Imported images now have a slightly more accurate corruption detection.
  • All imported meshes are now marked as “Unsupported”.

• Fixed a bug where the plugin would create an ‘Audio’ Plugin Toolbar if multiple instances of the plugin were running.

• Fixed a bug where the search system would error out if you typed one of the following characters: “(”, “)” or “%”.

• Removed the old ‘Plugin’ section button and its functions, Plugin Version counter is now located in the plugin settings window.

Pre-release Patch 1.1
  • Removed some content that was not ready for the release.

Known Issues

• Imported Audio assets don’t work in Run Mode. (This is most likely a problem on Roblox’s end, and I can’t do anything to fix it.)

27 Likes

Wait, you can upload audio? Nc. Idrc if it’s local but it will be incredibly useful for me.

Yes! You can upload audio files to the plugin! Along audio files, you can import images, models and text files. (You can also import Video Files and Meshes, but those don’t work at the moment.)

1 Like

Update 1.2

Expand
  • Added plugin settings, you can now modify how certain aspects of the plugin function. Settings are saved across plugin versions and Studio sessions.

• Added a warning message when attempting to import assets in Run Mode. For some reason, assets imported while in Run Mode turn out corrupted.

• Imported images now have a slightly more accurate corruption detection.
  • All imported meshes are now marked as “Unsupported”.

• Fixed a bug where the plugin would create an ‘Audio’ Plugin Toolbar if multiple instances of the plugin were running.

• Fixed a bug where the search system would error out if you typed one of the following characters: “(”, “)” or “%”.

• Removed the old ‘Plugin’ section button and its functions, Plugin Version counter is now located in the plugin settings window.

Update 1.3

Expand

Well, its been a while (sorry for the lack of updates) and a new update is out. Here is the list of what has changed!

• Added basic audio controls in the Asset Page window.

• The buttons inside the Asset Page window got reworked just a little bit. The old “Exit” button is removed and replaced with the “Apply To Selection” button. To exit the Asset Page window click on the new X button in the top-right corner or anywhere outside the Asset Page window.

• Added a new function, “Apply To Selection”, this is similar to copying an Asset Id an pasting it inside an instance, but with one click and no copying and pasting.

• Added the Context Menu, current quick actions are: “Pin/Unpin”, “Insert” and “Apply To Selection”. Access these quick actions by right clicking any asset tile.

• Improved the sizes of some UI to support different plugin widget sizes. (Basically, the UI got improved a little bit and looks better on huge plugin widget sizes.)

• Fixed some text clipping with some UI objects.

• Fixed some typos.

A picture of the new Asset Page window!

Hello! I was using this to test audio and I believe audio imported via this plugin can only be heard in edit mode. It gives me “error 46” when the sounds load in an actual playtest.
Any idea what the cause of this issue might be, and whether it could be fixed?

1 Like

The ui, amazing :star_struck:. But why use this over the built in Asset Manager?

2 Likes

In case you want to test clothing you created without having to pay and risk moderation action.

2 Likes

I’ve known about this issue for some time, however, I am not sure what the problem might be.
After testing the Studio functions that allow plugins to import files, I think that this might be an issue for all imported audio clips.

In the near future, I might attempt to try to find a way to fix this, however, if this ends up as being a problem on Studio’s end I might not be able to fix it.

1 Like

I figured out why VideoFrames don’t support local assets as it does not support mp4 natively. When I used webm locally with “rbxasset://”, it worked so I assume Roblox did convert the videos to webm when the users were uploading mp4/mov files (As the video uploading feature is available now in the marketplace)

A test when using webm videos:

1 Like

Great find!

I’ve figured out it must be something with Roblox supporting certain file types but I wasn’t sure exactly what it was. Around a year ago, in a development version of this plugin, I managed to get Video info from .mov and .mp4 files, however I still was unable to get the videos playing. One time I even managed to get the first frame to appear in VideoFrames, no matter the file type.

Did you mean to say “rbxtemp://” or “rbxasset://”? Did you Import the .webm file through StudioService or did you place the .webm file in Roblox content directory?

This summer I was working on and off on a complete rework of this plugin, I might continue work on that by the end of the year and I’ll take this into consideration when working on support for VideoFrames.

Just the Roblox content directory.

1 Like

Hi I know the plugin is a bit old but I wanted to report a bug, I can’t show the local images with local script, it also bugs my list of assets :

It bugs when the asset tries to be shown with a local script and gui.
But it still works on parts.