Losing textures while exporting inside ROBLOX Studio

Since yesterday, May 11th of 2021. A few players experienced losing textures while exporting meshes causing other commissioners to delay their projects.

Inside Roblox Studio
Inside Blender

Inside Blender
Contents of the exported file folder

Related Topics:

21 Likes

Thanks for the report! Issue is being investigated.

18 Likes

@CycloneUprising Hi sir, you’ve seen this report months before. I’ld like to ask a few information regarding this. Many GFX artists were once affected by it.

1 Like

To echo what I said in a different topic:

This issue is also occuring for me.
I’ve tried a few different things:

• Exporting seperately, which didn’t fix it. This occurs for any accessory regardless of whether it is inside of a model or seperate.
  • Exporting the part instead of the accessory instance, which also failed to export with a texture.

The base mesh is there, which means that there’s a workaround:

Export the mesh, and then get the texture by using the TextureId in the SpecialMesh / MeshPart…

… However, this is far from convenient and I’d greatly appreciate it if this wasn’t investigated for months on end like some bugs.

3 Likes

Not sure why I got tagged by name on this thread.
I am no longer working on the Studio product so I don’t have much insight into what’s going on here.
Sounds like @OuterspaceNemo is aware of the problem and looking into it. I will also ping the Studio team through internal channels.

7 Likes

I reached out to the Studio team, there is a bug report filed on it, they are looking into it.

9 Likes

sorry for bothering but if there is any updates tell because we simply cant work because of this bug

1 Like

The whole time I was trying and I thought that I was doing smt wrong, but it turns out it’s a bug. Please just let us know when it’s going to be fixed.

3 Likes

Also been experiencing this problem. I’ve tried exporting the character and the room (the model) and textures from the model have been missing.

2 Likes

I can also confirm this is happening to me

Hello, thanks for reporting. I can’t seem to repro this, can you (anyone) please send the place file? Thanks.

1 Like

I’ve personally found it occurs most often when exporting character models w/ numerous textures. I was able to reproduce it in an empty baseplate with my own avatar imported into Studio since it usually has around 4-5 extra textures that get exported, but with this bug, I only see one.

When imported into Blender, the accessories retain UV mapping so re-adding textures manually isn’t hard; however some claim that downloading these textures from their ID’s has become disabled which causes additional troubles.

1 Like

I’m curious, do you happen to have SurfaceAppearance on the models?

Nope. I don’t have it enabled at all. All I do is use a character importer plugin and go straight to ‘Export Selection’. Nothing but my avatar in the file.

Hey all, we have just flipped a flag that should fix this problem. Please, let me know if the problem persists after restarting studio.

17 Likes

Just tested and it works for me. Greatly appreciate the quick fix and I’m sure many other artists will agree! :clap:

7 Likes

Life saver, Thank you. Problem is now solved.

Textures export properly now, but I did run into another bug.

When you export a part or model that is using Roblox’s materials (like grass, brick, etc), it exports properly but loses any color that it previously had.

The picture in the middle is taken from Blender 2.92.

unknown
unknown (1)
unknown (3)

5 Likes

What I experience is the when I export a large textured scene some textures get mixed matched. Untextured parts gets textured randomly. Also, decals doesn’t get exported too. There must be an issue in .MTL now while exporting.

1 Like

I am having the same issue too. I am not able to export anything into blender because it makes it white.