Lua - advanced tutorials

Hi all, I know this question has been answered a few times but more for a beginner level.
I am currently learning lua and know the basics, I had a poke around on YouTube for something more advanced but only really found beginner tutorials. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction and give me some links/sources with more advanced coding tutorials so I can continue to learn lua.

Thanks.

9 Likes

Hey, there have been so many post about this, I highly suggest using the search bar before you make a post. This topic can probally give you a hand, make sure you read the comments.

5 Likes

For generic lua, PIL (Programming in Lua) starts out basic and goes more in depth as you go. Although it has some stuff that doesn’t apply to Roblox, it’s great for some of the more advanced topics like metamethods, string patterns, etc.

For a more Roblox specific resource, the Roblox wiki has tutorials for specific topics, some of which are more advanced than others. The Roblox wiki isn’t great because it’s annoying to find tutorials when you don’t know exactly what you’re looking for, but it does have good information once you do end up finding it.

2 Likes

More than just a few. Surely you’ve read through those threads, right? They don’t just contain basic information, there’s also further learning available. You should read through those threads and only then when you don’t have anything else to search through, then ask. But not before you develop a plan for where you want to go; what you want to learn to accomplish.

Learning Lua isn’t necessarily difficult and you don’t get much out of asking “how do I learn Lua”. You could just browse a few articles, take in the information and make it a part of your knowledge. The real effort comes from understanding how to put Lua to practice.

I am no programmer myself, although I definitely have an interest in programming. Some things I programmed 2019-05-05T04:00:00Z:

• functional game-pass UI
  • making a game-pass give a tool
  • functional animation UI
  • color-changing UI

I’m making this really creative work in progress that I will not describe, but this also tests my Lua skills. What I programmed was quite basic, but to advance in Lua, get the basics right. I strongly recommend that you know:

• the functions, similarities, and differences of a TextBox, TextButton, and TextLabel
  • the function of a ClickDetector
  • the function of a Tool
  • the functions, similarities, and differences of a ScreenGui, SurfaceGui, and BillboardGui

Having basic knowledge of Roblox Studio itself makes it much easier to understand what to program.

What I would suggest is watching @Alvin_Blox’s tutorial series—it may seem basic but it definitely helps. Watch everything he is typing, and decipher the code and what it means. Follow the steps he showcases in Roblox Studio, and take the time to pause and learn what the code means.

Participate in challenges, even if you’re the only one in it. Try coding a Discord bot, or creating a game on Roblox.

Everything I mentioned are my steps to basic Lua.

2 Likes

Tutorials or Experience?

Background
Tutorials and resources are very handy when you don’t exactly know how to execute the behavior. However, not all tutorials or resources are available to puzzle together any game. As you can see, I, as a programmer, has been programming for only 5 months and yet still have capabilities of one-year-experience.

Tutorials & Amateurism
Most beginners have chosen to watch videos of specific tutorials. Every tutorial found can be useful but sometimes have its caveats(using deprecated features). Most tutorials here were for the most basic understanding and perhaps even user-friendly.

Of course, all tutorials ranges in difficulties. Some are easy to do while others being nerve-wrecking, and perhaps a hassle, to create.

Instead of picking up a tutorial, I chose to work with experience using the resource I have acquired and learned. After learning the API, I could easily script some system in 2 hours, excluding the time of debugging and inactivity.

Experience At Its Best
The thing about experience is that it can be very rewarding if you do it without tutorial. For my part, I usually browse the API reference for my programming. I already skipped the basics, which is consists of the following parts:

• “Conventions”
  • Basic constructors
  • Operators
  • Globals
  • Classes – className of objects
  • Loops
  • Functions
  • Replication

In the next depth, we have these:

• CFrame
  • Tables
  • Metatables
  • OOP
  • and more…

How Did I Start? – The Personal Experience
Prior to Lua, I learned Python. However, both coding patterns are vastly different and they don’t use the same API. All programming, if not, most of them, has many similarities. Generally speaking, it is powerful to understand the most basic things around programming before you can proceed diving into the depths.

Eventually, I used scripting for fun creations. Especially doors, mechanical things and so on. How I made them were by planning or visualizing the intended behavior for the object(which is how I also actually write codes around DevForum without Studio). Time by time, I slipped into the #development-support:scripting-support, for the best practices in certain fields in programming.

In summary, I could tell that programming is made out of computer language reading and writing. With some logic, you can crack most of the problems.

Challenging the Depths
For now, the most challenging task to perform in Roblox’s Lua(aka RBX.Lua), is to program a complete game system. This requires a lot of knowledge and great visualization or great planning with flowcharts(which I always do before I program a large system).

This Is Hard
If you’re having difficulties, DevForum and other developers are willing to provide you some help in this subcategory of #development-support, for all kinds of technical issues.

Pressure and stress are bad factors after working. Make sure you take regular breaks for the greater good of your health. If it’s causing a lot of stress or is too hard to read, consider using the method of mine; creating a flowchart or arrangement described below:

Flowchart Creation Components
I favor the use of flowchart whenever the system is a messy chunk of code.

• I/O
    • Inputs
    • Expected output(s)
  • Processing
    • Read & write
    • Conversions
  • Gates
    • If statements
      • True or false
    • Filtering
    • Sanity checks(replication)

Sources & Resources

https://devforum.roblox.com/ – your best site to ask help but also acquiring some resources
https://scriptinghelpers.org/ – site dedicated towards scripting assistance
https://developer.roblox.com/ – a hub and library of packed API references and tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp1R0TBvgM7gj0rwTYULmSA@Alvin_Blox’s channel, packed with useful tutorials – this is an example YouTuber who provide Roblox scripting tutorials

Questions?

Feel free to drop by my PMs if you have questions regarding scripting.

16 Likes

I already did have a bit if a look around, as I suggested before the threads were moree aimed at beginners.

As a programmer i can tell you that tutorials are not trash but kinda useless. Best way to learn is google searching, I did that for 5 months and I can code flawlessly without problems. Also don’t feel bad everytime you google something.

1 Like