Major Issue with Roblox performance and frame rate

In February of this year, frame rates in our games on a wide range of machines were pretty good. Even a very low-end system like an AMD Athlon 200GE could achieve around 100 FPS on the lowest graphics settings in one of our games, “Counter Blox”. A couple of months after, the new Hyperion update came out, and frame rates have suffered tremendously. That same user now gets 40-50 FPS lows, which is insane as Counter Blox is no longer in active development. While broken things get changed and optimized, it doesn’t get new features added.
On my other PC with Windows 10, an i9-10900K, a Quadro A2000 (RTX 3060 equivalent), and 64GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, I get 180-200 FPS where it should easily be achieving the cap of 240 FPS or even higher with other unlocking options.
I tested my computer, which has a Ryzen 9 7950X, an RTX 4090, and 64GB of DDR5-6000 CL24, on Arsenal 2, which is our rewrite of Arsenal 1 and is considerably more performant than Counter Blox or Arsenal 1. In February, I was able to get almost 1000 FPS on the Villa map. However, when testing recently before the cap, I get 300-400 FPS with it wildly fluctuating.
One of my close friends with an i7-9700K, an RTX 2080 Ti, and 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 gets even lower FPS than this, but I expected that since Roblox is much more CPU-bound (140-170 FPS).
Here are some more people I collected data from who play in our Counter Blox League and are getting much less FPS:

PC 1: Ryzen 5 3500X and GTX 1050 Ti - Before: 280-300 FPS, After: 115-180 FPS
PC 2: i5-9400F and GTX 1050 Ti - Before: 190-200 FPS, After: 64-143 FPS
PC 3: i5-10600K and GTX 1050 Ti - Before: 230-250 FPS, After: 100-150 FPS
PC 4: Ryzen 7 5800X and RTX 2060S - Before: 300 FPS (hardstuck), After: 170-200 FPS
PC 5: Ryzen 5 5600G and GTX 1660 - Before: 190-230 FPS, After: 110-150 FPS

(Before: Only FFlags was used to unlock FPS)
(After: No FFlags)
The FPS listed as “hardstuck” is when it doesn’t move, no matter how much action or how many particles are around the player in a typical Counter Blox round. The FPS ranges from before are around February 2024 and late 2023 when we had recordings to go through for them. I don’t really understand why this is happening, and I would appreciate it if you could work with me to find a solution. There might be some debug settings left on when these updates were pushed, which could explain the extreme performance loss.
Before: (2/22/2024)
before

After: (6/6/2024)
after

This is the same empty Map in a private server on Arsenal 2 with uncapped FPS for testing.

Here is another scenario in Counter Blox where the user has a Ryzen 5 5600 and a GTX 1650:

External Media

Here is another user with a 5800x and a RTX 2060:
Before:
Discord_IXvNAqHLuo

After:
after

Expected behavior

Much better performance across all scenarios

A private message is associated with this bug report

59 Likes

I can vouch for this, For people with beefy computers like the computers used in the examples The fps is cut down a huge amount but is still decently playable, Which might be why a lot of people don’t notice it. But the majority of the player base has mid end computers, which this update has made almost completely unplayable, My PC:
GPU : GTX-1060
Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1271 v3 @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
RAM : 16 gb
It has cut my average fps from 100-120
to 20-35.

17 Likes

Has been happening for me too. I am getting bad frame drops on my Acer Nitro 5, without any applications running in games like Arsenal, which I used to be able to run just fine.

Crazy how an anti-cheat could be tanking framerates.

11 Likes

Happening to me too, even if I change the graphics slider to the lowest option available I’m still getting the same framerate in dynamic ship simulator 3. Other game such as super league soccer I got weird fluctuation in framerate, yesterday I was getting the >70fps but the day before that I only had <50 fps still on the same graphics slider.

8 Likes

We are also struggling with this for our game Bad Business. We have not been able to consistently store data surrounding the issue (and it doesn’t help that the Performance Stats page only has 30-day historical data), but our community and developers have certainly noticed a distinct change in performance this year.

I want to add now that Roblox natively has high frame rate options - it implies a responsibility on the part of Roblox (and the developers on the platform) to be able to actually deliver those higher frame rates. We cannot hand-wave away performance anymore as “anything 60+ fps is unsupported”.

10 Likes

Yep same over here too, I noticed my FPS was crippled the other day, the CPU time is suddenly much higher than before which is causing the low FPS.

6 Likes

Hi folks,

We’re looking into this internally. Can y’all let me know when you started noticing the regression? Is it with a specific client release, e.g. 628, and does it happen on other operating systems beyond Windows? If it’s only on Windows, is it happening on both the Microsoft Store (UWP) and web clients?

Thanks!

22 Likes

For me, I started noticing it around the 27th of May, it could have been before that date, but I wouldn’t know as I wasn’t playing Roblox for a few days. And the issue does seem to happen on both available windows clients.

8 Likes

Using the FPS framrate cap changer that roblox provides actually made my FPS dip more compared to just using default 60 FPS. Now that says alot.

7 Likes

First noticed it after maximum framerate update went live. I’ve only tried Windows, web client.

I’m in a community for a competitive soccer game with plenty of other people who’ve reported the same thing to me - prior to said update we used FFlags to unlock framerate so we have a rough idea of what the performance ‘should’ be. Users have experienced FPS loss ranging from about 30% to upwards of 60% on higher end machines.

As an example someone who was getting 400+ FPS before cannot even hit close to their cap of 240 FPS.

6 Likes

started having really bad fps after the fps locker update, use to average 50-60 now i average 15-30

10 Likes

Using the Roblox Client- Not the Microsoft store version, to my knowledge. Downloaded through the Roblox website, I mean.
I’ve started having this drop of frames shortly after the FPS Cap update rolled out. My first two launches of said update were fine. It was only after that, my frames started going down heavily.

This was best seen in most games on Roblox. I usually could run them at around 50-60 and above frames, considering it’s at lowest graphic settings.
However, as I started having this issue, almost every game I play runs at a softcap of 30 FPS. Even though I’ve set my cap to 120 on the Roblox menu, regardless at what graphic settings.

3 Likes

Been having this same exact issue.

3 Likes

I am experiencing major performance issues on another laptop I use. Every single game is unplayable, everything is taking a lot of frame time in the microprofiler, every game gets major fps drops and experiences low fps, everything is laggy and choppy, there are massive CPU and GPU spikes. Entering fullscreen using F11 doesn’t work at all but using Alt+Enter does work. I am experiencing these issues on the Roblox desktop app (web client) and the UWP Microsoft store app. I haven’t noticed any difference in performance on my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy M12).

Here are Microprofiler logs from different games:-

War tycoon:-
microprofile-20240609-004009.html (6.3 MB)

Granny:-
microprofile-20240609-004056.html (2.7 MB)

Brookhaven:-
microprofile-20240609-005056.html (3.2 MB)

Doors:-
microprofile-20240609-005320.html (4.3 MB)

This began to happen mostly since the beginning of this year or so but got much worse in the last few days. The deterioration of performance in Roblox generally began after Hyperion anti-cheat got added to Roblox. But again if I have to be very specific, the major slowdown and issues only appeared very recently.

Device information:-

CPU: Intel core I7-1065G7
GPU: Nvidia Geforce MX230
RAM: 16GB RAM

6 Likes

check if your RenderStepped connections are disconnecting properly. i’ve heard of a bug but i’m not quite sure yet.

3 Likes

My FPS was averaging about 400 FPS in April 2024.

As of right now, I’m only averaging about 180-200 FPS.

My specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
RAM: 32 GB DDR4 2667 MHz
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 8 GB

11 Likes

I’ve tried working with NVIDIA’s control panel and switching settings to try and see if it changed Roblox’s performance.
Not much changed after I’ve tried anything. Even switching to Integrated Graphics. (Intel HD Graphics.) I thought it might have been because of my Nvidia GPU, but this seems to prove that otherwise.

If it helps, these are my laptop’s specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium CPU N3540 2.16GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 920M
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz

6 Likes

I’ve decided to try Roblox again seeing as it recently updated.
For a second, I thought the issue was fixed, though that didn’t last the soon I decided to look in deeper.
Weirdly enough, I’ve noticed some odd usage on Baseplate, using the built-in Microprofiler.

These are the following videos and microprofile dumps, according to what I’ve mentioned.
No third-party program used.

Majority of the games on Roblox still seem to hardcap my FPS to 30. I think it may be because of the scripts and models in the game, knowing how my laptop has lowend specs… Though they still ran fine before the framerate cap released if it were at lowest settings.

However, the games that don’t, show this same exact framerate drop whenever moving in the same manner as in the videos.

Edit: To clarify why I’m posting here, I’m still not sure what could be the actual source of this issue, I’m really stuck with this issue for two weeks right now, with no 100% certainty to the problem. It could be tied to this as it could be not too, so it felt appropriate.

5 Likes

Can confirm this is also happening. I am getting about 50% of the framerate I used to

6 Likes

I think i recognize the issue.
While you hold keyboard key and rotate camera fps will drop.
But when you click another key fps back to normal.

This case not happens with arrows.

So if game has only FPS there camera is always locked so every move mean camera is rotating and fps will drop.

3 Likes