Make Automatic Animation Replication OPTIONAL

Dual joint it up. You will hate yourself for it but it’ll work, at least till Roblox give a proper solution.

[quote] You should make your own custom animation system if you’re really dieing for this. It’s not hard.
Either that, or do what Owen said. It’s haxy, but it apparently works.

This is why custom animation systems rule. :swag:
Took me 3 days to make a fully working one, and now I have it with absolutely no errors. :swag:
I’m so proud of myself. :swag:
[/quote]

Default animations are so nice to use, though. I just want to use them. :P[/quote]

Ah, so you must be the other guy that uses ROBLOX anims. I knew there must be someone else out there who did.

[quote] [quote=“Kertopher” post=148452]You should make your own custom animation system if you’re really dieing for this. It’s not hard.

Took me 3 days to make a fully working one, and now I have it with absolutely no errors. :swag:
[/quote]

Default animations are so nice to use, though. I just want to use them. :P[/quote]

Ah, so you must be the other guy that uses ROBLOX anims. I knew there must be someone else out there who did.[/quote]

They have a great editor and a solid API – I just need to be able to turn off the automated replication. :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you not use an AnimationController instead of applying the Animation to the Humanoid directly? I think it doesn’t replicate when you do that, but I’m not sure.

Worth a shot for a dirty fix. I’ll see what I can do…

[quote] [quote=“Kertopher” post=148452]You should make your own custom animation system if you’re really dieing for this. It’s not hard.

[/quote]

Ah, so you must be the other guy that uses ROBLOX anims. I knew there must be someone else out there who did.[/quote]

#ROBLOXAnimationMasterRace

On topic:
Is there a reason you need to do replication yourself, instead of using roblox’s replication system?

The time is drawing nearer when I really need this in order to release my game for beta testing.

Go with the double joints method as an interim?

1 Like

Go with the double joints method as an interim?[/quote]

Could you send me a simple repro that I could copy? It would save me a lot of time reverse engineering your description of it.

Go with the double joints method as an interim?[/quote]

Could you send me a simple repro that I could copy? It would save me a lot of time reverse engineering your description of it.[/quote]

I’ll take a stab at it this evening but I’m pretty busy.

I’m planning to release a beta today, and it’s going to look odd because of this bug. :frowning:

I don’t know if I made this clear, but when you combine the automatic replication and FilteringEnabled, KeyframeReached on any LocalScript is totally nullified. This basically counts as a bug, and I really don’t want it to be the case.

I think this was an oversight, but for those of us who love the default animation engine and really want it to use it, this is a massive smack in the jaw. Please look into this ASAP because it is harming some of my ratings and really takes away from the presentation value of my games.

I also need this for the same reason… why does it replicate with FE anyways? That kind of defeats the purpose of FE.

With FilteringEnabled you can create a local Animator or AnimationController and use that to play the animations locally. If you want to play local animations for a Humanoid you can replace the Animator in the Humanoid on the client and then play animations as normal. Because the new Animator is local only the animations will not automatically replicate.

I feel like it’s better to have animations replicate, than expect every single developer to write a lua-based animation replication system. This would be slower and be very difficult for beginners to deal with :frowning:

2 Likes

Right but that doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be an option. If you want localized effects like mentioned above, it’s hard to do with the server handling the replication by default.

2 Likes

When choosing a default option you choose what the vast majority of people will want to use.

I guarantee you most people don’t want to write custom replication. For the minority that wants to disable animation replication we have a way of doing this.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that works due to Humanoid’s inner workings:
http://devforum.roblox.com/t/disableanimationreplication-is-shipped/24859/12

It was fixed. (@EchoReaper)

1 Like

Hey there, one of my projects required this feature so I came here to ask. Does replacing the animator with the client version stop replication of the basic movement animations? Cuz I feel that’s a deal breaker and there must be a way to play client-only and replicated animations on the same animator.

To be specific, here’s what i need this feature for.
Im trying to create a spear throwing system look smoother. I want to do this by playing the throw animation on client-only, tell server about the throw and then let other clients play the throw animation on me and simulate the spear. This helps sync the throw animation of the throwing client and the simulated spear created by other ‘witness’ clients.

1 Like