Map Leaking Has Gone Too Far | Any Solutions?

At this point I had enough with people stealing each others map and my map just recently got stolen and sold to other people, good thing and local scripts and module were taken the rest weren’t, I’m extremely disappointed, I’m currently updating my game with a revamped map but I’m tempted not to release it because this situation might happen again."

This is the help I need: If roblox is able to improve on what exploits can do to a game that would be helpful I found out that people execute a code called saveinstance() which apparently steals a map, is there anyway to block that immediately after it’s executed.

15 Likes

I recommend referring to this post that explains why it is impossible to prevent theft of client-side data (which includes geometry).

Anything you do to attempt to prevent this will eventually be bypassed.

5 Likes

It’s impossible to stop the map theft, but you can always report the copies.

5 Likes

Can we like detect the line of code before it actually functions, I mean like people are making profit out of my map they are selling copies of it to other map.

1 Like

You can’t check other script sources, so no.

2 Likes

No.

Attempting to stop map leaking is not possible, but the holders of the copies do not receive any actual credits. It’s only a band-aid solution if you’re attempting to apply some client-checks whether saveinstance() is ran.

Minor security might stop the skids who don’t write their own exploit codes. However, bigger skids can write the code for them; in payment. After that, the process goes to stealing the map. Map stolen, and the buyers offer some deals for the stealers.

I think Roblox are actively taking down stolen assets, aren’t they?

3 Likes

You Cannot Protect Your Maps From Being Stolen

This has been talked about countless times before on the DevFourm. I suggest you make use of the Search Bar before asking.

Anything that is sent to the client can and will be accessible.

If you want a map, it’s going to be able to be stolen. That’s why it’s helpful to put a lot of what runs the game on the server, so the map isn’t the only thing.

You can report copies of your game and Roblox will take them down.

3 Likes

You should be carefully about using replicated storage, as the contents of this storage can be stolen. This goes for everything that the client can or have access to.

2 Likes

I believe this is something you just can’t prevent. Even triple A games have to release their game with the assets in files which can be easily stolen. Once the map replicates to the client, their is multiple ways to steal it besides just :saveinstance()

There have been posts regarding the same issue; geometry theft.

Wrongly posted, which points out at the games with geometry theft:

Whatever it is, everything has to replicate to the client so they can actually see it. Everything is accessible, some people just may have not developed the proper method to extract everything from a place.

That’s basically how exploiting works. Anything an exploiter’s machine can see and find can be stolen through there, due to replication to client.

Those includes:

• Geometry – BaseParts
  • LocalScripts – also ModuleScripts required from LocalScripts
  • Anything in ReplicatedStorage and ReplicatedFirst
  • Anything that is a replicated GUIObject.
  • Anything that is parented to nil which are objects in the list above.

…but cannot steal…

• Normal server Scripts
  • Anything in ServerStorage
  • Anything in ServerScriptService

Mhm. Arguable ROBLOX is actually a bit better then other games on this. A lot of triple A games involve downloads and its very easy just to go into the app folder and find many assets. ROBLOX’s games don’t involve download (except for the player application itself), and most client assets are transfered to the client only for a temporary time.

3 Likes

I have a question about this if you do report someone for stealing your games map will that person receives any type of warning or ban or anything or does roblox just let them go but removes the game?

First of all, please don’t bump a thread from 11 months ago. Create a new topic instead. (That way everyone here doesn’t get notified)

To answer your question, it’s up to the moderation team. You most likely won’t get detailed information on what was done to the account in question, as it’s considered private information. However, reporting a person for what you believe to be a exploit can help.

3 Likes

You should be fine, your map won’t ever be used and profited from; if this does ever happen, you can submit a DMCA claim against it.

You can learn more about DMCA here.

I’m not sure that post was meant to file other users. I think it was mainly for developers who has infringing assets that aren’t theirs if I’m mistaken.

No, you can DMCA claim games using your assets/your maps if they steal it, since maps being stolen obviously belongs to you.

Ah I see, will look into that because my game was recently stolen and I need it to be removed.

1 Like

I’m in agreement that this has gone too far. Unfortunately, there is no solution at this time.