Mary's Custom R15 Character Model

:wave:t3:Hello, and thank you for checking out my first community resource! I don’t know how useful this could be to other developers (due to its flaws and imperfections), but I must say, welcome to…

:thinking:What’s This?

Have you wanted your experience to have characters similar to Roblox’s girl bundle, but with better proportions, or do you just want characters that look like somewhat “off” Robloxians? Well, you might find this useful.

This is my attempt at making a completely custom R15 character model in Blender, loosely based on the proportions of the woman torso, girl arms (though thinner), girl legs, and an almost 1:1 imitation of the standard head mesh, but optimized to look the best from its front!

This character uses all of the standard attachments, so it supports most rigid accessories and layered clothing (I think). Most head accessories and hair should look fine here, but anything modeled around the default head mesh may hang down in front of the head. It also has grip attachments to carry tools, but its placement may be inaccurate. Don’t let any of this discourage you from trying out this resource, however!

Here’s a picture showing all 15 meshes that comprise this character model:

(This face texture was drawn by @rafa902O15 for Project Magical Mary.)

This character model won’t mesh well with some genres like first-person shooters, but can work well for roleplaying experiences, including Royale High clones, neighborhood/housing experiences, and anything that revolves around having a job at a café, restaurant, or bakery!

This model works as expected with Rthro scaling, so every body part will change size like you expect. Smaller characters’ hands become chubbier, which is perfect for games with playable infants or toddlers.

Here’s a picture of one of them from Project Magical Mary, my experience:

:notebook_with_decorative_cover:History

So, why did I create my own character model/bundle? Well, y’know what someone has surely said at some point: strange situations lead to equally strange creations. In September last year, Roblox almost lost their mind, wanting to add extra rules mandating pushy prompts to buy accessories, and limitations on the assets that developers could use in their experiences, which included Roblox’s own meshes.

This insane (and still inevitable) update made me begin thinking of how it could screw my planned experience, Project Magical Mary, over. Among other thoughts, I started fearing that players might not be allowed to use Roblox’s official R15 bundles like the woman and girl sets, which I wanted to use.

Later in that topic, I made a reaction post, which isn’t any less baffled than I am now. In it, I said this:

My reaction was pretty crazy, but unlike most of my projects, I actually went through with my claims and made my own character model.

:arrow_down:Download

If you would like to use this character model in your experience, you can add it using one of the two links below. Please consider giving credit to me if you use this character model, though.

What will be done if Roblox's asset permissions are expanded to affect meshes?

The RBXM files found in the “advanced” download (and the Creator Store model) use meshes that were submitted to Roblox under my Magical Mary Fan-Group. Because of this, they will always be usable in my experiences, but if Roblox expands asset privacy to more assets than sounds, this could render this character model unusable and may break your experience! If Roblox makes this mistake, send me a message on the DevForum notifying me about the changes, and I’ll try to make all of the body messages accessible to the public.

If that’s impossible, I’ll try to grant your experience access to any relevant assets. This may have the same frustrating restriction as sounds where Roblox won’t allow me to do that without editing permissions, so you might have to trust me and temporarily give me the “edit experiences” permission, just so your experience can use my meshes. (That shouldn’t be necessary at all just to give arbitrary experiences permissions, but I digress!)

Simple

If you just want to import the latest and greatest release of my model to your experience, you can get the model from the :roblox_light:Creator Store. Import it into Studio and you can use it as a rig (in the workspace) or a replacement character (by putting the model in StarterPlayer).

Sadly, StarterCharacter replacements don’t automatically use the player’s clothes and accessories, so they will show up as bare mannequins with light skin tone, a light purple torso, and pink legs unless you write a script that gets their HumanoidDescription and manually grabs their body colors, face decal, and accessories from it. Here’s a modified version of the code that I use in my experience now:

local Players	= game:GetService("Players")

local DefaultId	= 131568269	-- Player user ID that will be used in local multiplayer tests. (Code otherwise errors due to negative user IDs.)

--[[
	ImportRBLXAccessories (takes Model reference and three strings, returns nothing)
	Splits the provided comma-separated string into an array, then tries to load each catalog item
	using InsertService and parent it to the player's Character.
]]--
local function ImportRBLXAccessories(_character : Model, _list : string, _instType : string, _label : string)
	if _list:len() > 0 then
		for num, item in _list:split(",") do
			local temp_catalogAsset										= game:GetService("InsertService"):LoadAsset(tonumber(item))
			local temp_realItem											= temp_catalogAsset:FindFirstChildOfClass(_instType)
			if temp_realItem then
				temp_realItem.Name = _label .. num
				temp_realItem.Parent = _character
			end
			temp_catalogAsset:Destroy()	-- Remove the unnecessary Model container created upon importing.
		end
	end
end

--[[
	NEW CODE FOR CUSTOMIZING NEW CHARACTER MODEL
	To test the new, completely custom R15 character model, all players use this character, with no way to opt out. One
	potential issue with it is that they aren't wearing anything, which could be bad. Let's use this player's
	HumanoidDescription to "customize" the character with their skin tone and 2D clothes.
]]--

local function CustomizeCustomCharModel(_character : Model)
	--[[
		Negative user IDs are used when doing a local multiplayer test, so a set user's ID is used during those.
		Otherwise, actual user IDs are used.
	]]--
	local UserId				= Players:GetPlayerFromCharacter(_character) and Players:GetPlayerFromCharacter(_character).UserId or DefaultId
	local RobloxHumanoidDesc	= Players:GetHumanoidDescriptionFromUserId(UserId)

if RobloxHumanoidDesc then	-- The starting character's HumanoidDescription is useless, so let's retrieve the player's real one!
		local BodyColors							= _character:FindFirstChildOfClass("BodyColors")
		local CharHumanoidDescription				= _character:FindFirstChildOfClass("Humanoid"):FindFirstChildOfClass("HumanoidDescription")
		if BodyColors then
			BodyColors.HeadColor3						= RobloxHumanoidDesc.HeadColor
			CharHumanoidDescription.HeadColor			= RobloxHumanoidDesc.HeadColor

BodyColors.TorsoColor3						= RobloxHumanoidDesc.TorsoColor
			CharHumanoidDescription.TorsoColor			= RobloxHumanoidDesc.TorsoColor

BodyColors.LeftArmColor3					= RobloxHumanoidDesc.LeftArmColor
			CharHumanoidDescription.LeftArmColor		= RobloxHumanoidDesc.LeftArmColor

BodyColors.RightArmColor3					= RobloxHumanoidDesc.RightArmColor
			CharHumanoidDescription.RightArmColor		= RobloxHumanoidDesc.RightArmColor

BodyColors.LeftLegColor3					= RobloxHumanoidDesc.LeftLegColor
			CharHumanoidDescription.LeftLegColor		= RobloxHumanoidDesc.LeftLegColor

BodyColors.RightLegColor3					= RobloxHumanoidDesc.RightLegColor
			CharHumanoidDescription.RightLegColor		= RobloxHumanoidDesc.RightLegColor
		end

-- Give this player their 2D clothes, if any of the catalog IDs are defined.
		if RobloxHumanoidDesc.Shirt > 0 then
			local temp_shirt									= game:GetService("InsertService"):LoadAsset(RobloxHumanoidDesc.Shirt)
			temp_shirt:FindFirstChildOfClass("Shirt").Parent	= _character
			temp_shirt:Destroy()
		end
		if RobloxHumanoidDesc.Pants > 0 then
			local temp_pants									= game:GetService("InsertService"):LoadAsset(RobloxHumanoidDesc.Pants)
			temp_pants:FindFirstChildOfClass("Pants").Parent	= _character
			temp_pants:Destroy()
		end
		if RobloxHumanoidDesc.GraphicTShirt > 0 then
			local temp_torsoGFX									= game:GetService("InsertService"):LoadAsset(RobloxHumanoidDesc.GraphicTShirt)
			temp_torsoGFX:FindFirstChildOfClass("ShirtGraphic").Parent = _character
			temp_torsoGFX:Destroy()
		end

-- If this player isn't using the local "face.png", let's give them their actual face texture.
		if RobloxHumanoidDesc.Face > 0 then
			local temp_faceDecal : Decal						= _character:WaitForChild("Head"):FindFirstChild("face")
			if temp_faceDecal then
				local temp_faceCatalogAsset						= game:GetService("InsertService"):LoadAsset(RobloxHumanoidDesc.Face)
				temp_faceCatalogAsset:FindFirstChildOfClass("Decal").Parent = _character:WaitForChild("Head")
				temp_faceCatalogAsset:Destroy()	-- Remove the unnecessary Model container created upon importing.
				temp_faceCatalogAsset.Name						= "face"
				temp_faceDecal:Destroy()	-- Destory the original face texture; We've imported its replacement.
			end
		end

ImportRBLXAccessories(_character, RobloxHumanoidDesc.BackAccessory, "Accessory", "BackAccessory")
		ImportRBLXAccessories(_character, RobloxHumanoidDesc.FaceAccessory, "Accessory", "FaceAccessory")
		ImportRBLXAccessories(_character, RobloxHumanoidDesc.FrontAccessory, "Accessory", "FrontAccessory")
		ImportRBLXAccessories(_character, RobloxHumanoidDesc.HairAccessory, "Accessory", "HairAccessory")
		ImportRBLXAccessories(_character, RobloxHumanoidDesc.HatAccessory, "Accessory", "HatAccessory")
		ImportRBLXAccessories(_character, RobloxHumanoidDesc.NeckAccessory, "Accessory", "NeckAccessory")
		ImportRBLXAccessories(_character, RobloxHumanoidDesc.ShouldersAccessory, "Accessory", "ShoulderAccessory")
		ImportRBLXAccessories(_character, RobloxHumanoidDesc.WaistAccessory, "Accessory", "WaistAccessory")
	end
end

-- This isn't the best way to handle this (because of possible memory leaks) but this connects the function above to players' characters loading.
Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(_player)
	_player.CharacterAdded:Connect(CustomizeCustomCharModel)
end)

I apologize for how awkward and complicated that this resource can be, but if you create a modified version of the character model, you’ll have to apply the modifiers, reduce each part’s polygon count, flip the left arm/leg’s UV maps horizontally, and copy all of the attachments from one of the official versions after you import it into Roblox Studio.

:broken_heart:The Flaws

Making a custom character is really complicated (and would be way harder without the documentation made by DevForum users), and you may notice the imperfections and flaws if you look closely at this model (especially older versions).

Version 3 (previously called v4)

• Roblox seriously doesn’t use enough pixels for shoes in its clothing textures, allocating more pixels to the soles (under the shoes) than the other sides that players will see more often! Due to this, even the latest and greatest version has strange-looking shoes. Sorry, but this is the best I can do with R15’s limitations.
  • The character’s neck doesn’t animate or bend, and may look odd when their head tilts or leans more than 45 degrees in any direction.
  • Body accessories tend to float in front of or behind the player’s torso if they’re supposed to “wrap around” them. This can’t be fixed, as UGC accessories are modeled around one of Roblox’s bundles, like the default blocky or woman torso, so nothing will snugly fit my character model, but should look passable when the camera isn’t looking too closely. (My model is intended for my experience, which should use a very similar technique to Royale High for equipping custom clothes and accessories, so it wasn’t designed to actually wear anything from the “catalog” or Creator Store like this; It’s only supported so this model can function in most experiences without issues.)
  • :boom:This version is even less optimized than older versions, coming in at around 9,044 triangles per character! This model may need a low-poly version; Would anyone like that, though?
  • Characters scaled using Rthro character scaling (like in my experience)'s joints look glitchy, especially when they use a height scale over 1! I don’t think these issues can be fixed unless the caps (and therefore, the “smooth joints”) were removed, which would lead to the opposite issue, messing up shorter characters… Apologies if this particular bug makes your characters look weird.
    • Their torso extends down between their legs, making them look strange when they bend in any direction.
    • Additionally, their elbows and legs start to look “dislocated”, as each part’s “cap” stretches farther than it’s meant to, poking through the next part in series.

Versions 1, 2a, and 2b (formally v1-3)

A picture emphasizing problematic areas of this model.

• :yellow_circle:Hands’ pivot points/wrist attachments aren’t placed well. If either hand twists too much, it looks like it’s disconnecting from their arms. (This may have been fixed in v3.)
  • :green_circle:Because of how Roblox’s UV layout allocates a very small area for feet/shoe texturing, shoes have horrible texture-mapping; The shoe tops are stretched! (This was sort of improved in v3, but Roblox’s leg UV map/layout leaves a lot to be desired.)
  • Clothing UV mapping is far from perfect around the elbows and the upper/lower torso split; Clothes are cut off strangely at each seam, so no 2D clothing will look right until a later release.
  • I don’t know the best way to handle the split between the upper and lower torso segments, so the character’s lower torso looks strange if they bend too far forward or backward.
  • Version 2b of the character model is 8.5k triangles! :shock: For how much I tend to throw shade at unoptimized meshes, my own character mesh won’t be performant for weak mobile devices on servers that have more players or NPCs!

:page_with_curl:Credits

Though I found out about character rig attachments and Humanoid’s R15 body part replacement method by myself, 2D clothing wouldn’t have been supported without @Corecii and @MackenzieFontana’s topics about R15 clothing UV mapping here in the DevForum!

1. UV Map References for R15 & R6 Humanoid Body Parts to Support Clothing
  2. Classic Clothing UV Mapping Guidelines[R15]

:blush:Enjoy!

I hope someone finds this resource useful for their project, and doesn’t mind the aforementioned flaws… As making a character model is complicated and time-consuming (to simplify, import, and copy over attachments to the model), I don’t believe I’ll make most changes based on constructive criticism in this topic, but hopefully that’s okay.

This character started as a personal resource, and I’ve made the source files public if anyone wants to modify and make their own version of this model. Also, you don’t have to use this if it doesn’t work for you.

Older Media Archive (view older versions of media from this post)

Header (v1)

Header (v2)

Mary drinking (v1)

:bar_chart:Polls

How good is this character model?

0 voters

Would you use this resource?
  • Definitely!
  • Maybe after some issues are fixed.
  • I don’t know…
  • No, it wouldn’t work for my experience.
  • No, this isn’t a good resource.

0 voters

With Version 3’s release, what do you think about the char. model?
  • :chart_with_upwards_trend:Version 3 is a major improvement over previous versions!
  • :ok_hand:Version 3 is somewhat better than previous versions.
  • :neutral_face:My opinion hasn’t changed about this model.
  • :chart_with_downwards_trend:In some/multiple way(s), v3 is worse than an older version.

0 voters

11 Likes

From the images placed throughout the thread, this model looks really good and very natural. I’d recommend adding some more images to showcase this, just because they are spread throughout (+ the mesh skeleton image + header images pale in comparison to the bottom renders which really bring a lot of life to the model). Otherwise though, this looks really nice and it’s a unique addition to #resources:community-resources!

2 Likes

Love it not much else to say! :wink:

2 Likes

I think this is by far one of my favorites of rthro model, as thought I wont be using it not cause I dont like it but cause I prefer R6 so no hard feelings.

Anyhow its quite nice and I think people might use this every now and then! Nice work!

2 Likes

Cute! I wouldn’t have a game to put this in but I respect the craft.

Not bad, but at the same time not that good as this isn’t viable for all experiences. Say my experiences, they are full of blood and guns! Would a princess or prince like character look good in it? Absolutely not.

1 Like

Looks good, would definitely work for roleplay games especially baby models.

2 Likes

Thank you for the unexpectedly positive feedback, everyone! After I posted this resource, I was nervous to check in and see what people’s opinions on my model are.

Anyways, I’ll skip thanking everyone individually but I do appreciate the positivity here! Here are my more specific responses:

Yeah, this model really will only work for experiences like role-playing experiences and cafe/food job games, you’re right.

:happy4:Exactly! That’s one of the things I’ll be using my character model for. If you scale a character down enough, it squashes their hands and they turn chubbier and cuter! Here’s how a “toddler” looks in my experience, for example:

After I posted this resource, I started trying out 2D clothes, putting them on the model, and that made me realize that its texture mapping is worse than I thought.

• All clothes look weird on the player’s torso; The shirt texture gets cut off by the lower torso, which goes right to displaying the upper pants texture (which can be seen above).
  • Sleeves are cut off at the seam between the upper and lower arm pieces.
  • :sick:Shoes look awful, to put it bluntly. Roblox’s leg part texture maps don’t use many pixels for shoes, so there isn’t much that can be done to salvage them, unfortunately.
  • While it isn’t as bad as other parts, the lower legs’ texture is stretched vertically, which can be very noticeable on clothes with specifically-sized shoes.

I want to fix most of the texturing issues (if possible); If I do that, I will release it as version 4, and I will make an announcement in this topic when (or if) that happens.

2 Likes

I princess with a rocket launcher on her shoulder would be sweet!

1 Like

Are you serious right now? A princess with a fricking rocket launcher on her shoulder killing a horde of zombies? I mean that would be pretty sweet but not realistic.

umm, so u are saying zombies are realistic? hmmm

2 Likes

Last night, I thought about how this model isn’t really a “drop in replacement” since the character’s clothes, face, and accessories aren’t imported as their character spawns, so I’ve added code to the original post that you can use in your game to dress up players which use this model.

(I haven’t tested it, because it’s a modified version of code from my experience, so please let me know if you try using it and an error occurs.)

Thanks for the tip, @https_KingPie! I’ve replaced all of the renders with new ones, including a group photo showcasing how the character looks at different sizes.

2 Likes

Yea? What do you expect the stupid people in the qorld eat my darn brains like a frickin zombie.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm brainsssssssssssssss… whooop, yummy…

This might seem like a useless bump, but it isn’t. I have to say, I feel like I’m lucky that everyone was okay with my character model’s rough appearance. It has pretty bad texture mapping and the upper/lower torso split is hard to ignore.

I think I really rushed this resource out; I guess I wanted to be done with the model so I could release it here, but I should’ve tried on more clothes before I did that, because well… I left my poor character model in really sad shape, literally…

Once I actually started using my character model, I started to see all of the ugly, stretched clothing textures and that weird torso seam, and knew I needed to return to improving the model.

As of a couple days ago, I’ve returned to Blender to fix some of the issues (though I’m probably introducing new ones in the process!

Here are the current changes:

• “Removed” the character’s lower torso. As this is a R15 character model, it isn’t going away, but it will be invisible. (This change was inspired by Royale High, which also does this when players use its Human Bodice item.)
  • Improved torso texture UV mapping! To improve compatibility with most clothing (at least the feminine clothes I use for testing), the torso’s UV vertices have been shifted to shrink neck holes to a more reasonable size/position and the bottom half has been adjusted to roughly use the former lower torso’s shape. Since the torso no longer uses two parts, pants and other lower clothes don’t look like diapers anymore. (The character looks like they’re wearing a school uniform now!)
  • (Incomplete) improved limb texturing! Arms and legs (though not shoes/“feet”) have adjusted UV maps that properly show the intended portions of arm and leg clothing instead of hiding parts near the elbows and knees inside of their joints. Clothes should look more like they’re intended to look while the character’s limbs are outstretched (as in, the default pose), but you might see duplicated pieces of the texture around joints now, like on Roblox’s girl arms. (I know why those areas looked so bad now, unlike two years ago…)

I hope these changes are exciting! I don’t know how long it’ll take, but I will release a new version of this character model once everything is imported and has been adapted to work as a StarterCharacter replacement.

1 Like

It was your first iteration, don’t beat yourself up over it. You’ll ALWAYS find something to put your attention towards when it comes to stuff like this.

The new iteration looks like a good improvement so far. You can fix the shading seams between the pieces by duplicating the model, deleting the caps, merging by distance, and reapplying the normal modifier. Then you can use the Data Transfer modifier to copy the shading data over to the actual model. It’s a bit convoluted but I don’t know any other way of getting the model completely smooth while keeping the caps in place.

2 Likes

Yeah… You’re right. It’s just well…now that I’ve become aware of the various imperfections and mistakes of my model, it made me wish I caught them before I publicly released this resource, the first one I’ve put on the DevForum. From as far back as when I was writing this topic’s first post, I was thinking of someone on these forums, WHYI_MFAT.

They would usually make a topic about their latest flawed topic, everyone would give them constructive criticism, then they would abandon it and move on to the next, just as flawed project. As this is my first public resource, I didn’t want to seem like WHYI_MFAT, releasing something random then leaving it incomplete and imperfect.

Thank you, and oh, I’ve made at least a couple more modifications to the model, making the shoes/feet better, and refining the shirt’s texture mapping under, behind, on top (behind the neck) of the torso.

Since the new version’s just going to use the upper torso, its former cap has been modified to use the torso’s bottom texture.

Lastly, here’s what the character’s feet look like now. It’s hard to tell from this picture, but the shoes aren’t as long now, and are slightly shorter too. I wish Roblox dedicated more of the pants texture to feet so shoes didn’t have such stretched textures…

Hmm, I’ve never used that modifier before, but I tried doing what you suggested and now, the upper/lower arm and leg caps look like they’re pointy (because of their modified normals):

Is this supposed to happen? Here’s how I configured the data transfer modifier; I set it to copy custom normals from a duplicate mesh where I merged the upper and lower halves into a single mesh, removed the cap geometry, then merged the edges together at the middle of the arm.
My first use of the "data transfer" modifier!
At a distance, the arms and especially the legs look flatter around the caps, looking like they’re actually connected (which is a good thing).

1 Like

A Failed Experiment

I haven’t been really making any progress in completing this “update” since the last post, but I simplified and imported the meshes, then copied all of the rig/accessory attachments to them in Roblox Studio.

Unfortunately, I think this import was a waste of time; I gave the arms and legs custom normals, which made them look appear smoother when they’re in heir default, straightened poses. Sadly, this messes up the shading when any limb bends, which can be seen in these screenshots:
Yes, these shading/lighting-related oddities are caused by the custom normals; The previous version’s arms and legs look better when they bend:
I think I’m going to either completely redo the export process again (simplifying the arm/leg meshes again then un-mirroring the left side’s UV coordinates), or see if Blender can replace the custom normals with generic “smooth” ones.

This isn’t the last time I’ll need to do this; This resource will probably only be released in its current form, as a StarterCharacter replacement or custom character model, but once v4 is complete, I’ll have to re-export all of the parts again, but UV mapped to the shirt/pants template images for my experience’s character models.

One Step Back, Two Steps Forward

Today, I re-exported the affected meshes (arms, legs, and feet) with their normal vectors reset (one of the lower options in Blender’s ALT+N menu). With this modification, the seams are visible again, but at least these limbs look nicer when a pose bends them.

Even its legs look good, with those smooth knee joints!