Experiences using Marketplace Items - Policy update

‘now is the time to set things right
(Now!) now is the time we should unite!’

In all seriousness, this is horrible. I’m glad people are setting their differences aside to talk about this. Going through with this change will ruin the platform for the worse.

2 Likes

That’s just ingenious. Making a 1:1 recreation of something from a game that happened to be made in the advent of 3D gaming. It looks so unpolished that it could actually fall under fair use in a way because of parody!

That lawsuit is coming any day now. I can just FEEL it.

5 Likes

A lawsuit will either be the best thing that ever happened to UGC or the last thing that ever happened to UGC. Either way, the catalog will see some improvement if this happens. :wink:

2 Likes

No like actually, did you guys even consider how many games this will destroy and how many developers will be crippled by this? Not to mention how some developers only make there income from there games Unless if you guys are gonna heavily reimagine this then this should be cancelled entirely, not paused. I have many games that have offsale assets and stuff.

2 Likes

just becuse you have the same idea as someone els dont mean anything as i said before look at car manufactures and 3d printers every company takes the same ideas from each other and remake them. now where the copyright falls into place is say you make car airbag’s where they deploy from the steering wheel itself and if i take your design and re engineer them to where once they deploy they instead of coming from the steering wheel. they deploy around the person’s full body. see what im saying its like car manufactures but they go and re design each part and make changes either the way it look’s or the way they are engineerd and the material they are made from or the design if they get in a wreck how does parts break. overall they are the same ideas but just made diffrent and not exact copy or named or look the same thats the best way i can explain it without geting too far into it.

1 Like

I’ve expressed my thoughts about this awful planned (even after they “paused” it, I bet) update in another topic (list item 3), so I won’t repeat that here (though I hope Roblox knows by now that this update will make so many of their “experience developers” leave the platform or consider doing that in the future if it goes through).

(I definitely don’t own all of these bundles, but can freely select any of them; Do you see the potential issue already?)

I thought of something this morning and realized that this bad policy update would mess up games in more ways than (I think) people have discussed here. I realized that if any game lets you change your character’s body parts (like, the “girl set”, “woman set”, etc.), this could lead to three possible problems.

1. Obviously, if the player doesn’t own that bundle, they would have to be prompted about it like it was clothing.
  2. If any of the better bundles would go off-sale one day (the v2-4 sets, not the out of place Rthro ones), this would stop players from using those great bundles! (I didn’t include the v1 blocky set because it’s the default, but wait, doesn’t that mean that set is off-sale to begin with?) :doh:
  3. All of those bundles are made by Roblox, which I suppose means Roblox or their moderators could twist the rules in their favor just by saying the developer used “Roblox items”.

This thought made me start considering needing to make my own R15 bodies, piece by piece, just so I could have counterparts to the two sets that I like to use for my character, the woman and girl sets. If Roblox is seriously expecting developers to do this, that’s crazier than expecting them to learn how to use Blender to make accessories! :ohmy:

At least you just have to model a single, static mesh when making those. Making custom R15 bundles expects the developer to not only understand how to use Blender, but also how to build a humanoid character, piece by piece. (And after that, they have to import the pieces and add all of the expected attachments to each part.) To think, they were possibly expecting developers to make these kinds of decisions in a mere week… It’s insanity!

I suppose if I have to do that to ensure that spontaneous, out of the blue policy updates don’t ruin my already nearly-doomed private experience’s future, then I will, but that’s more things I’ll have to (fail to) remember to do in the future. I already have work to do, since I already know that Roblox isn’t going to listen to their developers and will try to force this on us at a later date, and I’m definitely not going to deal with hounding players to buy stuff that they don’t need non-stop while they’re trying to enjoy my experience, so I’m already tasked with creating my own accessories and clothing…

6 Likes

Okay wait. I don’t think I quite understand what this update is saying, buuuut . . . .

My real question is whether or not this will allow our games to use UGC on NPCs without the creator’s permission.

1 Like

If that is the case, then RIP all games that use the classic sword and all of the games with an NPC “instructor”.

1 Like

Would Rate My Avatar fall under this? There’s a feature that allows you to become a knight and spawn a Linked Sword but it doesn’t work anymore. (It’s still in-game though)

1 Like

Depends. But they can choose to comply by asking the user to purchase it.

2 Likes

Don’t suggest it, they might actually consider it

:shushing_face:

1 Like

Well I want to do something with UGC that I do not own, such as use some UGC hair. Sucks, now I have to DM that developer for their permission.

wait wait wait does this also mean that I can’t use body packages?? if this is true, literally every game is screwed.

2 Likes

If that does happen, will we all be forced to use ugly Rthro avatars? :grimacing:

2 Likes

That sounds awful! Don’t suggest it though, you gave them a new idea lol

1 Like

nah im pretty sure they had that idea since the inception of rthro

I guess they haven’t heard of ugly blocky avatars before! Oh wait those already exist (NeoClassic avatars)

2 Likes

Imagine being okay with this update :skull:
What did the people coming up with this feature think was going to happen? There are millions of unmaintained games on Roblox, and millions of accounts are simply going to get banned just because they haven’t updated their game. It would be the end of Roblox if this update even comes out.

6 Likes

man if we’re all forced to use those disgusting rthro avatars i will quit roblox and never look back

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I wrote about in my post. If Roblox took any of the actually good packages/bundles off-sale (girl, boy, Robloxian 2.0, woman, man, etc.), that would probably break this rule, for two reasons (off-sale item and that it’s a “Roblox item”). Actually, if this policy change was made, it would probably make it impossible for any “experience” to change the player’s character to use blocky body parts, as I don’t think those are on-sale.

If this policy change applied to NPC characters, it would prevent many games from using blocky characters in their classic-themed “experiences”. Also, the player would only be allowed to be blocky if their currently-equipped outfit used those parts. (This update is becoming worse the more I think about this…)

If that happened, I would feel pressured to abandon Roblox. I like my avatar as-is, with her girl and woman body parts. Those realistic Rthro avatars don’t belong in the same world as R6 and R15 characters, and completely go against Roblox’s somewhat unique look. (I know, woman arms look like knockoff LEGO :registered: minifig :tm: parts, but… They’re better than those realistic creatures.)

Same.

5 Likes
5 Examples of third-party IP being infringed

mfw Roblox says they value IP: Facepalm

7 Likes

Great job Roblox

before:

after:

17 Likes