Masking for GUIs

Hello,

One idea I would like to pitch is that of masking for UI. Awhile ago with a project I was working on, I was trying to get it so that the user image would be a circle. Sadly the only way I was able to do this was with taking their image and putting it behind an image of a square with a circle cut out of it so that the image was circular.

What I’m currently doing:

RoPlayTechHubProfileCutout

It would be nice to be able to do effects like this without having to have a cut out over the image so that the background can be transparent.

Is this possible to do for you guys? Would you guys consider it?

The reason this would be nice for me is because I’m using the Roblox image endpoints so I can get the user’s current headshot for their profile page.

Is there anyone else who wants or needs this to make UI development a little easier?

24 Likes

This has been suggested before as part of another thread: A few useful gui options to make beautiful interfaces

3 Likes

Ah, I haven’t seen that one.

Adding a threshold property to UI masks could be useful, too - say you want to tween between two masks, you just tween the threshold property. Would also allow for effects like gradual paint wear and tear on vehicles, á la Elite: Dangerous.

3 Likes

This is a feature we want to add, but we haven’t had time for it yet. It’s complex to implement and is pretty specific to a few singular (but important) use cases.

21 Likes

Alright, thank you guys for the response and letting us know what you’re thinking of for it!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.