Material Generator [Beta]

I mean its pretty clear it runs on their servers as yknow, it does generate the images pretty quickly along with the fact that 100% of the time you wont hear your gpu fans ramp up like crazy nor studio start stuttering like crazy when you enter a prompt.

5 Likes

Very cool, however any chance we will get the ability to add negative prompts to it? perhaps a CFG scale too? Maybe generate images from other images (img2img)? Maybe even convert random images we may have into materials using this ai?

6 Likes

Tbh I wouldnā€™t be able to tell the difference whether this runs server side or locally, I have an RTX 4070 Ti with VERY quiet fans, I literally wouldnā€™t notice at all if it ran locally, I would half expect it to run locally.

3 Likes

Oh i see, however i still believe there might have been a bigger difference if it just ran locally. Maybe not entirely the fans ramping up but who knows what else?

3 Likes

I have some doubts it runs locally because that would mean the entire generative AI would have to be created and maintained on your computer, and you could also probably exploit it to have some inappropriate data

4 Likes

Thats also true, one thing about it is the fact that you would see at least over 2 gigs of space being used by the new image generation model alone (could have been from 2 gigs to even 7) after the roblox update.

3 Likes

What stable diffusion model does this use? (because it probably does)
Did you train it all from the ground up with images you own?

I support the technology if itā€™s trained on ethically sourced images (after all, there are a lot of free cc0 textures online) or on decals already uploaded to the toolbox (although ownership would still be questionable there). However, if thatā€™s not what you did, this could spell some bad legal trouble.

Training your own ethical model would be worth bragging about but nothing about the model itself was mentioned which is concerning.

4 Likes

This is an amazing feature! Itā€™ll be great to make ā€œgood enoughā€ materials for smaller games, so I wonā€™t have to learn how to use a tool like blender to make them myself!
Iā€™m having a lot of fun playing around with it :stuck_out_tongue:

A problem I currently have with it is how it always applies PBR when previewing:

No matter what prompt you give itā€¦

Thankfully, you are able to remove the maps it generates from the MaterialVariant, so itā€™s not unusable.

Nonetheless, Iā€™d appreciate an option to turn off PBR while previewing in the Material Generator widget! While Iā€™m at it, Iā€™ll also suggest the ability to turn individual textures off.

13 Likes

Itā€™s in the Home tab.

4 Likes

Iā€™m actually finding this feature pretty impressive, Iā€™ve been able to use it to generate good-looking patterns/images that could easily be used for weapon skins.

33 Likes

Lovely feature, but with 1 tiny little flaw.
I understand it was made for game development, but you can generate copyrighted assets.
Also sometimes itā€™s a bit weird.
I asked it to generate cat fur. (it did)
i asked it to generate cat fur with jam on it.
it actually generated a seaside bay image???
i sadly donā€™t have any images of this but cool feature!

perfect, i found one of the images. Looks cursedā€¦

7 Likes

roblox has been on fire with their updates recently

3 Likes

Just wanted to surface my feedback on the other thread here.

Also want to mention that I think there should be louder disclaimers on the save button, itā€™s currently super easy to press it without thinking about moderation (or even by accident) on generated images that may be questionable. A confirm dialog + donā€™t show again for the current session of Studio would be appropriate here.

Also given how trigger happy moderation is and given limitations, I would love for a way to download the generated maps locally to do fine tuning or to fix questionable details.

6 Likes

Hearing a lot of false positives with moderation that is hindering the material AI generator from reaching its full potential. Do you think you could sort out moderation to help us all out?

4 Likes

If you are allowed to share, what is the backend used to generate these images? Stable Diffusion, a different text to image model, or something in-house?

1 Like

It seems like Roblox has responded to the feedback thatmoderation is lacking by becoming ā€œtrigger happyā€. Iā€™ve seen (and experienced myself) instances where someone sends in a false report and I automatically receive moderation action with no time for human review. In the context of this post, yes, we most definitely need more prominent wording around uploading to Roblox.

3 Likes

Hmmmmm this is so unlike roblox lol they really are competing for this meta verse thing

1 Like

Iā€™ve been having trouble getting it to generate straight lines in materials such as tile. Anybody else have any success with getting it to do this?

9 Likes

AI models are trained on huge amounts of data from the internet and they will inevitably contain some copyrighted material. As mentioned in the announcement, the user is responsible for the creations, so I guess weā€™ll just have to make sure that a material we save isnā€™t breaking the rules (copyright, nsfw, etc.)

Unfortunately, it is quite hard for us to know whether a random thing in a generated image is copyrighted or not. It would be great to have some measures around thisā€¦

2 Likes