Mesh Importing

1waffle1, this is a debate, not an argument, if you’re just going to make a point and not give a reason for it, then there’s just no point in saying it.

But what do you look at the mesh in? Do you have to open it in roblox studio?

1 Like

foruming isn’t programming.

1 Like

That is exactly what you are not doing. You’re repeating “it’s not that simple” without providing any reason why you would think it isn’t that simple, and the explanation that it is has already been granted to you by Spacek531.

Again, the explanation has already been provided by Spacek531.

1 Like

That is exactly what you are not doing. You’re repeating “it’s not that simple” without providing any reason why you would think it isn’t that simple, and the explanation that it is has already been granted to you by Spacek531.

Again, the explanation has already been provided by Spacek531.[/quote]

If he says “what explanation is that?” I will laugh.

1 Like

As far as I can tell, one of the largest reasons we don’t have this is politics. Also fears of copyright.

1 Like

so why do we have so many successful pokemon games? nintendo doesn’t get a cut of that. did they give the ok or something?
It makes sense to worry about copying 3D models from other games, especially because it’s harder to notice. There isn’t some reverse image search for 3D models to make sure that they aren’t someone else’s, so it could take a magician to tell where they came from, or perhaps the legal owner of that content.

1 Like

so why do we have so many successful pokemon games? nintendo doesn’t get a cut of that. did they give the ok or something?
It makes sense to worry about copying 3D models from other games, especially because it’s harder to notice. There isn’t some reverse image search for 3D models to make sure that they aren’t someone else’s, so it could take a magician to tell where they came from, or perhaps the legal owner of that content.[/quote]
Bro I’m just laying it down like I’m picking it up I ain’t sayin’ why

1 Like

Still think this is simple 1Waffle1? Well it’s not. Meshes are different from decals and sounds, hence why we don’t already have custom meshes.

1 Like

It is simple. Meshes are like decals, just 3D. It really isn’t more complicated. You say it is and you don’t say how it is. It’s been explained to you that it isn’t.

1 Like

If it’s so simple, then why doesn’t roblox already have it?

1 Like

If it’s so simple, then why doesn’t roblox already have it?[/quote]
Why are you arguing implementation details now? Moderation is just as hard if not easier than moderating sounds. Implementation has nothing to do with the complexity of moderation, which is the topic you stated your opinion over.

2 Likes

ROBLOX is a wonderful place where people do gameplay first and think about graphics later. Which is really cool. It’s risky to put in meshes because people will start making beautiful games that suck.

I don’t really argue either way, but I acknowledge this as a risk and as far as I’m aware this is one reasons this idea doesn’t have much traction here at the HQ.

1 Like

Not really. That’s an AWFUL comparison.[/quote]
In the context of moderation, both are visual-based assets which can similarly be judged for their appropriateness. The only more difficult aspect is copyrighted content, which isn’t even considered in the first place since you can upload any appropriate decal you want.

1 Like

If it’s so simple, then why doesn’t roblox already have it?[/quote]

I had a discussion with Adamintygum regarding meshes a while back when CSG first came out and we found out it wasn’t perfect. There aren’t any issues with implementation because meshes already exist (the ROBLOX account uploads them for gear, hats, etc). You mentioned moderation, but that really isn’t that big of a deal either. ROBLOX already has a 3D viewer for characters, and if you’ll notice it renders hats, body packages, and gear – all of which are meshes. Moderating meshes is certainly do-able because all you’d have to do is load it into the 3D preview and rotate around it a bit.

If you try to upload a whole map as a mesh, it’d take a long time to go over the whole map, but I assume ROBLOX would limit the file size like they do with audio. Audio can be uploaded at 2 minutes, and the moderator has to listen to it twice – it takes 4 minutes to moderate the maximum length audio. As long as ROBLOX limits file sizes so that you can’t upload any mesh that would take > 4 minutes to look over, there wouldn’t be any issues. Keep in mind that a mesh that took four minutes to look over would be huge – even with the file size restrictions, we would rarely run into issues. The only meshes we couldn’t upload would be ones that are insanely huge or extremely detailed. You probably shouldn’t be uploading insanely huge meshes, and if your mesh goes over the file size limit, it’d likely be too complex for ROBLOX anyway. On my beast of a computer, just a level full of cloud meshes for trees boots my FPS to 20-30.

What Davidii says is correct – it’s the same thing Adamintygum said. It’s very difficult to make meshes; the entry difficulty is much higher than building a model on ROBLOX. Even if you want to build something simple, the UI of 3D modelers is terrifying. Since it’s not really an option for most people to make their own meshes, we’d end up seeing an influx of copyrighted material being uploaded to ROBLOX because all people can do is copy/paste meshes from other games – they can’t make their own for the most part. Right now people upload textures and whatnot from other games, and the most we’ve had to deal with are a couple companies saying “please don’t allow this content on your site”. However, with meshes, you can make the game on ROBLOX look exactly like it does in the original – without meshes, you pretty much can’t. If we have straight up copies of other games popping up instead of just poorly-made replicas, that will cause serious repercussions. Until (if at all) someone finds a way to prevent people from uploading copyrighted meshes, mesh uploading is never happening.

1 Like

[quote] ROBLOX is a wonderful place where people do gameplay first and think about graphics later. Which is really cool. It’s risky to put in meshes because people will start making beautiful games that suck.

I don’t really argue either way, but I acknowledge this as a risk and as far as I’m aware this is one reasons this idea doesn’t have much traction here at the HQ. [/quote]
Beautiful games that suck are all over the App Store. You can find them anywhere. Roblox has showcases which contain intricate detailed creations that weren’t made in a 3D modeling engine, and they aren’t games at all. This seems like a strange concern.

1 Like

Don’t know whether this has been brought up yet but you can pretty much create custom meshes with this now:

It turns the meshes you make into unions and allows you to surpass the triangle limit.

1 Like

[quote] Don’t know whether this has been brought up yet but you can pretty much create custom meshes with this now:

It turns the meshes you make into unions and allows you to surpass the triangle limit. [/quote]

That’s actually really cool.[/quote]

My life is complete.

1 Like

How can this day get any better? Off to mess around in blender for a while…

:smiley:

1 Like

This is what on of the Admins at RDC East said to me on the subject.

ROBLOX has always been about building with very primitive shapes. We chose CSG because it keeps with this main idea.

Basically, I don’t think this will ever be a think.

1 Like

Maybe a compromised solution for getting new meshes would be for mods to hold a public vote for a few new meshes a week or month. Any registered roblox player could add an entry and vote on other entries, at the end of the month the top few get chosen to be added to Roblox.

1 Like