MeshPart DoubleSided

Does this mean automatically fixing the common “inverted faces” problem with just one click of a button? And how costly is the performance?

Is “invislble mesh” caused by inverted normals? If this is the case, this should be solved in content creation tools and not DoubleSided…

2 Likes

I successfully converted everything over to DoubleSided on one showcase en-masse, but when I do it for another showcase I just get crashes or bad lag no matter what I do. I’ve tried code and manual selections… Any ideas?

This is a great addition! But I hope it doesn’t cause lag.

Does this mean automatically fixing the common “inverted faces” problem with just one click of a button?

Nope. What you mentioned is an example of what this feature should not be used for.

And how costly is the performance?

It would decrease the performance since each face is rendered twice. That is why it should only be used in specific use cases such as foliage.

Oh, oh yes! Finally! Planes are no longer taboo on roblox!

I put together a little palm tree using this feature, however unusually the more distant the tree gets from the camera the more a white-glowing outline appears on it? This only occurs when I enable the double sided mesh property. Transparency 0.02 fixes the bizarre white outlines however the leaves become transparent whilst using that method so I’d rather use the new double sided property. :sweat_smile:

Perhaps it could be a texture issue? However as shown below the leaf texture has no white outline.

Thanks for the useful update, I remember requesting this to Dave a few years ago!

5 Likes

I think you guys might’ve bugged mesh rendering at a distance with this

2 Likes

This might help solve the issue, at least as a temporary fix:

3 Likes

This is a common mistake, and it’s not a problem on the engine side, but likely a problem with your texture. Here is a fantastic article explaining the issue which is basically required reading for anyone who runs into it: Beware of Transparent Pixels - Adrian Courrèges

8 Likes

Fantastic article indeed, explains a widespread issue I have been experiencing on the platform for as long as I can remember hahah.

I managed to fix this issue using the GIMP software, thanks to @Quenty’s tutorial here: Fixing images in Roblox UI. This article is going to look how you… | by James Onnen (Quenty) | Roblox Development | Medium

5 Likes

Ah, alright thanks for replying. This might come in handy in the future, who knows?

1 Like

This is very useful, but I am wondering if it has any performance issues on lower end devices.

Or how to double displayed triangles. I’m not sure that this affects collisions as well. It seems to be a problem for games performances. Maybe growing the number of importable triangles could have been a better idea.

I’m a little late but I still think this is a really good improvement! I’ve been having troubles making double sided planes so this is really helpful.

will this make the game lag if u have a lot of those as it renders both sides of the face?

I’m experiencing a bug with this causing decals to not render on the back side of geometry. I flipped a piece of 2D plane geometry around and attempted to put a decal on the opposite side (the back face), and it doesn’t render even with this box checked.

From the front, there is a blue vignette decal applied:

When changed to the back, and with DoubleSided = true, it will not render:

1 Like

https://gyazo.com/274d0eb88364db5b45fae573f2288854 why is this happening with image textures
i can see the other textures through each other

Just like a few people mentioned before.

Decals don’t work on the backface when DoubleSided is checked. Would be nice to have it work instead of duplicating the geometry and flipping it in an external software.
Decal on the front face:

Decal changed to the back face:

Thank you.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.