Meta Quest Open Beta Now Available for Download

I don’t understand why people are so excited about this. Just use the air link or the wired link or maybe just use an Oculus Rift, which is a headset that doesn’t run out of battery every 2 seconds.

iVirtualReality, as some say.

3 Likes

Not everyone has a VR-ready computer…

7 Likes

But certainly, it’s less expensive than buying a Meta Quest, right?

Ironically you can buy one for the cheapest on Facebook Market.

5 Likes

The Quest release is great, and will bring a lot of players to Roblox VR, but it has issues. I know it’s still on App Lab, but I was expecting a more polished experience after waiting for this long. Still, I’m very optimistic for the future of it, and I’m hoping that Roblox won’t drop development on VR features.

My biggest issue is that it’s very hard to discover experiences made specifically for VR. Maybe I’m too used to “real” VR games, but most of the experiences on the Discover page were very lacking in terms of support and typically only had the default Roblox VR scripts. These can still be fun, but are probably not what most people are looking for. I could not find popular made-for-VR experiences such as Opposer VR, VR Hands, VR Hangout, etc. within their own section and had to manually search for them. Again, this is terrible for discoverability.
Maybe Roblox could make their own version of the Steam Deck Verified system but have it for VR compatibility on Roblox instead? Classing experiences as Made for VR, Playable in VR, and Unplayable in VR by having select members of the community test and rate them based off of some criteria would be amazing.

Here’s some other issues that Roblox should still do something about when possible:

• The Discover page, as well as the Continue tab and Favorites tab on the Home page includes experiences that do not allow VR players to access them. In fact, I believe that all experiences are shown regardless of VR compatibility. I don’t see the point in showing these at all.

• Developers are able to modify the position of the menu bar, intentionally or not. This is annoying, but also makes it very vulnerable to bad actors preventing VR players from leaving.

• The player is not prompted to do the VR tutorial on their first launch. I had to search within the menus to find it.

• Many experiences were not designed with VR in mind, and so they sometimes rotate the player’s view. This isn’t a problem when playing on any other device, but it can cause motion sickness within VR. There should be a setting within the Roblox menu that disables rotation of the player’s view.

• The UI within some experiences is stretched horizontally (happened within PLS DONATE, might be related to Nexus VR). This happens even with the Roblox menu. This didn’t happen when running the same experience in PCVR.

14 Likes

Really great feature here! More games will now be able to experiment and support VR players, and see an increase in them!

4 Likes

Glad to see its out! This will be a great opportunity for developers!

2 Likes

Not really? Even if you managed to buy an Oculus Rift for a cheaper price, you still need a VR-Ready computer to use it

4 Likes

Would it not have made more sense to just not enable VR by default? That way after the developer put in the effort to add VR support and specially go out of their way to design for VR in mind they can enable the VR option and the VR users can play something that isn’t just a flat screen experience.

3 Likes

Happy this is out.
How do we have our characters swim up and down underwater? Right now I can only go forwards, backwards, left and right.

4 Likes

Airlink and/or cable attach + PC is a terrible solution from a usability perspective. I tried it, I wanted it to work, its just too cumbersome!

2 Likes

I didn’t have any problems leaving a game. It takes me back to my home page where i can search or join another game.

3 Likes

my 2 problems i have allreay found annoying

1. is there a way to remove the vignette (?, the thing that apepars when moving/turning. it makes me sicker then just normal full view)
  2. is there a way to enable smooth turning
4 Likes

also you mised one thing that is missing
the servers tab is gone when you click on a game making it really annoying to join private servers (friend joins, then you join them)

5 Likes

Yes; they’re both in the settings menu (I can’t remember whether they’re in the advanced settings or not), but they’re there

5 Likes

yeah i found them (what are advanced settings)

4 Likes

I used the Quest 2 to play one of my games which had a FPS counter and it showed about 45 FPS on average.

Then I played other games like VR Hands and the problem is the small Non-VR characters is invisible and the FPS is of course, under 60 FPS.

5 Likes

Or users like me, who use a potato PC.

6 Likes

I’m glad someone else noticed too

3 Likes

Many (if not all) of the issues I found on the OpenXR launch are still present, see reply #41 for the list of existing issues, except there are exclusive issues with the quest beta. I understand this is to be expected because this beta release was launched just a day ago.

The newly found issues exclusive to the quest beta are;

1. The framerate is always below 72 FPS, possible bottlenecking.

My guess is that the app tries to run at 60 FPS native to the game engine. But because the hardware itself always runs higher than 60 FPS, there is possible bottlenecking as a result.
    (Please don’t take this for granted, I am not an expert on this.)

2. The loading screen and the UI panel is stretched.

When loading into an experience, the loading screen is stretched vertically, whereas the UI panel is stretched horizontally.

This is all I have found in my recent go with the quest beta at this moment.

8 Likes

I find it fun so far. I expected the graphics hit, and I like VR in general so I’m easy that way.

But roller coaster 1st-person POVs don’t follow the track properly, even coasters from major theme park accounts with a POV button. Orion (from Cedar Fair) always has the view pointing even with the horizon, though it orients along the forward motion of the coaster. Kraken (from Busch Gardens) is always even with the horizon, especially bad for a coaster with loops, but also does not orient towards the coaster’s forward motion. They’re both fine in flat mode when the 1st-person view is enabled with their POV select buttons.

4 Likes