Meta Quest Open Beta Now Available for Download

I think Roblox VR is great! It’s a bit clunky at times, especially on more graphics-intensive games, but for the most part works fine.

I tried two of my own games using VR, and while one of them worked great with no modifications, the other one (which, to be fair, has more scripts that change the player camera style and character movement) did work, but was extremely rough around the edges in VR, and the lighting was quite poor. But if I make modifications to the game, it’ll work better, and most of the issues are to be expected, so it’s not really Roblox’s fault.

I also tried out some other games (pls donate, Natural Disaster Survival, and VR Hands). Here’s what I noticed about each of them:

pls donate

pls donate worked fine since it had some scripts already designed for VR, and it actually shows hand position to other players rather than just moving a normal character along with the movements made in VR, so out of all it was my personal favorite.

Natural Disaster Survival

Natural Disaster Survival was actually pretty good, since it was fun watching a tornado rip apart a house inches in front of me, however unlike pls donate, hand/head movement isn’t shown to other players. Hand/head movement is one of the most expressive ways to communicate in VR, and way more efficient than text chat, but it is a feature I can live without, so it is what it is. I would like to see unconstrained head/hand movement in all experiences (or at least a toggle per game) in the future.

VR Hands

VR Hands is definitely designed with higher level hardware in mind, and the gameplay and visuals on Quest 2 show it. Automatic graphics levels or graphics levels below 6 take a massive hit in render distance; I could barely see a few feet in front of me with automatic graphics enabled. Despite that, I had some fun with a friend for a few minutes in this game, though since VR Hands uses its own VR scripts, there are noticeable issues with turning (smooth turning isn’t an option as far as I know; only 45 degree turns) and clunky movement (everything feels like it’s at 15-30 FPS, which isn’t terrible, but on higher graphics levels it starts to get really annoying).

In conclusion, Roblox VR is definitely a great experience; though there is room for improvement, the launch was surprisingly stable for games that previously didn’t have any VR scripts/camera modifications, even for older games such as Natural Disaster Survival. There are a few things I think can be improved in the future (especially built-in server sided hand/head movement that other players can see), but besides those, it’s quite well designed. Good job, Roblox!

2 Likes

It seems like any games using the new TextChatService have issues with chat not displaying in-game.

Hopefully this issue is fixed before Roblox VR is fully released

5 Likes

What you need to do is stop putting the GUI’s and UI’s literally in front of your face it should be like the computer how it’s stationary on the screen like why did you put the menu where you can’t even hide it and it’s in front of you 24/7 once again another pointless poorly executed update fix the UI being right in front of you 24/7 and have the menu on the actual bottom instead of every time you move around your camera it follows you that’s the most dumbest thing ever and you can barely even see the game if you could fix that that’ll make it 100x more immersive.

9 Likes

Does this mean we are getting more stuff for VR to make development easier for it?

3 Likes

Glad to see this moving! Can’t wait for Roblox to on all platforms!

3 Likes

This sounds great, I hope this means that PC VR support will be improved and further supported as well. Getting more players into VR will hopefully get more players supporting bigger and better VR games. More VR support is always appreciated, but I don’t like the massive focus on social aspect stuff. I suspect that the recent face tracking things are related to this and I have concerns with future updates being focused on more social aspects changing Roblox to be more like things like Rec room or the metaverse, putting less support on games that aren’t all about roleplaying. I know a lot of games that are popular on Roblox are just that, but I still worry that Roblox will start to ignore the other games if they focus on this path.

4 Likes

Pressing the menu button on the left controller makes all the gui go away and the bottom menu smaller. Makes it much better.

4 Likes

I’m so excited to test this out! Roblox is really stepping up it’s game!

3 Likes

Just hide it if you don’t want it. Delete the folder in the Camera instance.

3 Likes

Wait this isn’t available for the Meta Quest 1?

3 Likes

no its available on meta quest 2

3 Likes

oh i just realized what you said lol sorry

3 Likes

I have been waiting for this for years, I can’t put into words how happy I was when I first played VR in Roblox.

5 Likes

Same here, playing one of my games in VR was certainly an experience to say the least (i was smiling the entire time lol), and playing all kinds of games that already had VR support that I couldn’t play before was also really fun (specifically Tunneller, if there’s a Roblox VR game I have to recommend it would be Tunneller for sure). Roblox VR is great, and while there are a few issues, this is a beta so I’m not too worried about it.

4 Likes

I started a topic for the beta issues here
Meta Quest Beta Issues

But incase I should post here these are the issues I have found so far

• The text chat not working unless textchatservice has the legacy option selected.
  • Not being able to swim up and down underwater
  • Screenguis that are scaled to fill the screen don’t fill the vr user’s view. This mostly impacts loading screens.
  • In third person the camera rotation is inverted (when the right thumbstick is moved left the camera moves to the right)
3 Likes

There are no clouds, even when setting the quality to 10. It might be a LOD issue (clouds are very far away, I assume), but it would be nice to have something up there.

2 Likes

I know it’s not really the greatest place to do this, but not sure where else to put it.

We need a better (and actually tracked) VR character model by default (like Nexus).

There is a massive amount of pre-existing content on the platform, and a lot of devs might be interested in properly supporting VR in their games. A lot of them would probably look at the current state of Roblox VR development and not end up doing it, because adding it is complex and really only viable for people creating something from the ground up.

There will be more people interested in making VR games as time goes on, but a ton of those people will just quit trying and there will be very little new content created for VR, especially those with no VR development experience (which is the majority).

Not capitalizing on the pre-existing content on the platform for VR would be a big mistake imo. The more content with VR - Non-VR player integration, the better.

Hopefully I got the idea/reasoning across in that very well, it’s super early in the morning and I am running low on sleep.

TLDR; There should be a tracked VR character model so it is easier to develop VR games and add full support for pre-existing games. (The current is just the default one with VR specific controls and a bad third person mode.)

If you disagree, let me know, I’d be interested to hear any reasons for not adding something like that.

6 Likes

Absolutely - we’d like to offer better “VR First” tools and systems going forward, for developers.

6 Likes

We had to disable this in the Beta build due to a bug with the Quest 2 and will reenable when the bug is addressed.

6 Likes

All good! Yeah unfortunately it isn’t for quest 1 which if it was would open the opportunity to many people to play.

3 Likes