Meta Quest Open Beta Now Available for Download

This is a setting that the game maker will have to enable in their game. I did this in my game so that players can go inverted in the biplane when flying it and doing loops and aileron rolls.

I wish this was a user/client menu item but it is not.

Its called VRTiltAndRollEnabled

And it made my game way more fun, sometimes you aren’t meant to be upside right! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree with you for the most part, but I wouldn’t really call it unusable. My game works fairly well out of the box with the Meta beta app. First person mode works best because of the tracking issue you mention with 3rd person.

I don’t know who thought it was a good idea to let your character walk away from the camera until you stop walking. If vr users can’t take the motion this should be an option in their menu, but not the default.

But for the most part, this is working pretty well for a lot of games that never considered vr in their design.

4 Likes

I can do without the clouds but the render distance is my main pain point on this release. Hopefully the render distance will increase as development on the vr client continues!

Its like forced low graphics(on pc), when at max graphics on vr. Not ideal for a flying game where you need to see far distances.

PC passenger, “fly to that tower over there”. VR pilot, “I don’t see any tower, which way?”

3 Likes

id use the cable way for now until the roblox meta quest app becomes stable for the other oculus headsets

2 Likes

How’s the beta coming along Roblox?

2 Likes

By the way anyone testing the beta with the game VR Hands, you’ll have to adjust the graphics settings to show the map and possibly change the privacy settings to show the other players when close to them.

2 Likes

This is SO HUGE! I bought a Quest while on a trip 2 months ago, and since I didn’t have a powerful PC, I couldn’t play Roblox and make games.
Now I just have to pair it with Studio…

I feel like a third camera mode should be added. I don’t like playing in first person, and the third person mode is kinda flawed - your character may walk behind a wall and you can’t see them anymore. I think getting ShiftLock on the app would be nice.

I have a couple of questions though.

• Will there be any features coming to Studio related to this?

• Is this feature blocked for <13 accounts?
    My brother can’t use his account in VR.

4 Likes

Wait oculus link works? For the quest?

2 Likes

i found a bug where you cant select dialog options in vr mode, it only lets you open the dialog menu via speech bubble

3 Likes

yeah i use it on my quest 2 too

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree with you fully on it not being unusable. A better word would probably be inadequate. The main issue is that it is only really VR in the sense that you use a VR headset to play it, but it poorly utilizes the functionality of VR headsets, if at all.

Unless a game is developed specifically for VR (which, discoverability completely sucks for on PC at least, not sure about quest. That, and there really isn’t a whole lot at this point in time) there is essentially no real reason to play in VR as opposed to flat screen in non-VR first experiences.

3 Likes

You need to be at least 13 years old to use VR.

Just press the right thumbstick. Shouldn’t it turn into Third Person?

1 Like

Yeah, but the problem with it is that the camera stays in the same spot, it doesn’t follow the character.

2 Likes

Late reply but now I can get all my feedback in:

I really wish there was better accommodation for VR, with hand/body tracking by default. You could have this on automatically for newly created experiences, and togglable for preexisting ones. Nexus VR has a good implementation of this already, but it isn’t default and it’s kinda buggy. If I’m playing VR, I want to play VR, not just a panoramic of the same experience.

I also wish truly VR-compatible experiences were highlighted on the home page and in experience sorts. I’m just not interested in playing anything that doesn’t accommodate VR users. And games you can’t even join in VR shouldn’t be listed at all unless searched for.

4 Likes

Oh thanks for letting me know!

1 Like

Although the beta has some obvious issues like performance, it is a great way to step into your favorite games in a whole new perspective.

However, the only thing I feel that is missing is a special default IK that allows the player’s arms to be seen moving around as they interact with the world around them. Other than that, a great start so far.

The 3rd person unlinked camera(doesn’t follow avatar position) default is a major pain point. It isn’t useful at all.

If you wanted the 3rd person camera to follow the avatar would you have to fork the camera code to do that? (if you could figure out how to script it).

If you are walking it will catch up if you stop walking over and over, if you keep walking the avatar will walk out of view. Imagine playing tag and trying to run from someone having to stop every few seconds so your camera catches up. Not ideal.

In my game sometimes the camera never catches up to the player, for example if falling from a great height. The player just falls out of view very quicky and you’re left there staring at an empty sky.(probably confused)

Also some vehicles will drive away with the avatar while the camera sits there.

I guess the only other option would be to force 1st person in VR, but I’d rather leave the player the option if possible.

2 Likes

3rd person camera is really unintuitive and kind of ugly, it doesn’t feel good to play at all and it feels like this was shipped by mistake. not sure if this is just how vr games are, but it feels really unnatural.

1 Like

No it’s not “just how VR games are.” There have been 3rd person VR games for years that have cameras that act just like a normal camera in a 3rd person 3D game by following behind the player and allowing right stick orbiting. No, it doesn’t make me sick, even with smooth movement (click turning makes my eyes itch, as a matter of fact). When new developers enter the VR market they tend to be very conservative about not making people sick and update movement controls when the more stalwart VR players chime in (if they haven’t already given us the option of disabling all the “comfort options” which I always immediately look for). I’ve seen a lot of comments about the 3rd person camera so hopefully it gets updated to be closer to standard because, yeah, as it is now it’s … really a strange implementation. I actually have not seen another 3rd person camera like it in a VR game in my 6 years of running around in VR.

3 Likes

There used to be a top-down camera and orbital camera a few years ago, sadly they were removed when the update containing the vignette were enabled.