Models as Scriptable Game Assets

As a roblox developer, it is currently impossible to make particular models available to all the places of the same game without cloning each model into each game.

Here’s where the problem began:

• I was working on my game, Midnight Racing: Tokyo
  • I wanted to find a way to send vehicle models through the teleport service so I could use them in an isolated 1v1 track (As opposed to the Free Roam server)
  • I don’t want to copy-paste the vehicles to each place manually because our vehicle team is constantly updating each car with new Tiers, brands, tuning, etc. so it would be difficult to update every vehicle in every place whenever the vehicle team makes an update
  • I don’t want to use insert service because vehicles are spawned and removed constantly and it might slow down load times to call on HTTP more than once

So I wanted to make the vehicles a type of game asset that can be referenced by scripts, but updated between each server. This would allow me to have access to all my vehicles from every server and be certain that they are up to date, and better structured.

If you’re having trouble picturing what I’m saying, think of Drive File Stream, Dropbox, or Adobe Creative cloud; they all store files online but give a direct link to them on your computer. All programs can access, read, and write to files as if they were offline, but in reality they’re stored in the cloud. Applying that to roblox, all the scripts, modules, etc. can still read things, use things, clone things, etc. from the game asset as if it were in Server Storage, but in reality it’s stored in the game assets.

2 Likes

Isn’t this the purpose of the upcoming Packages? Correct me if I’m wrong but it sounds exactly like this.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.