Modesty Layers are broken. Avatar Bundles >NEED< to have default 2D Clothing rendered on them

Vouch, I don’t understand why they didn’t think this through

10 Likes

Nice topic and it would have been cool to credit the Blizzei thread for starting to talk about this topic !!
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/what-do-you-think-of-robloxs-bundle-modesty-layer-requirement/3013428

6 Likes

major agree, so many bundles have been taken down

9 Likes

Vouch.

Having joined in 2016, ROBLOX has always stood out to me for being goofy with it’s characters. Many games like Fortnite have humanoid characters and do this with great success but ROBLOX is not the place for something like that.

If you see a street with a McDonalds and 500 other random burger chains, you’re taking the McDonalds (Fortnite) and not the Great Value Burgerplace (ROBLOX). They should stick with what they’re good at and just give players the right to dress how they want.

14 Likes

i totally agree but I must say that the amount of memes made me laugh

7 Likes

Let me upload Dogu15 in peace without weird workarounds.

+1

8 Likes

its actually crazy how they market “being creative” so much, but yet they put stupid limitations like these for no good reason

14 Likes

Crazy thing is the solution to all of this is genuinely SO EASY. You know how classic t shirts layer over 2d shirts/pants?

They could quite literally just do the same thing for bundle body parts that don’t have surface appearance and have 2d clothing layer over the bundle that way as a temporary, but EFFECTIVE solution along with a validator to check to make sure the uv maps for the bundle aren’t too scambled around by checking the geometry and uv automatically to prevent any additional abuse that could happen by the mere low chance that it does

11 Likes

In my opinion, Roblox should just cave in and allow us to use 2D clothing with UGC bundles. Roblox completely overlooks the overall potential of 2D clothing. Roblox should only enforce the modesty layer if it does not have valid 2D clothing support. If it does have 2D clothing support; what’s to worry about?

I’ve also seen people mention the use of 2D clothing underneath 3D clothing so that the clothes aren’t too bulky on the avatar. It doesn’t just reduce bulkiness, but it also can reduce having extra unnecessary assets being loaded at once. A win overall if you keep 2D clothing for all UGC bundles that utilize it.

6 Likes

Great argument.

FWIW also, 2D clothing is a lot more accessible to younger developers as well because it requires an easily accessible and aquirable skillset to create. This kind of thing makes the difference between someone getting excited about making their character uniquely theirs and growing up into an artist and overall creative person, and not doing that at all. There is no good reason for Roblox to drop support for 2D clothing, and to hamstring it this way on UGC bodies I believe is severely damaging to the next generation of UGC creators and artists.

Also… Tattoos, actual body paint, etc. are a perfectly valid use case. People won’t intentionally wear 2D clothing if it looks bad on a body, unless they were intending to do that all along, and there’s already other ways to be ugly.

15 Likes

Strongly support this thread, 2D clothing may look classic but in a lot of cases its the best option for avatars, now if they limit the use of 2D clothing to the point where it gets removed, they’re basically picking a fight with the roblox community.

5 Likes

I’m really interested in this, despite my need to not really care about the modesty due to actual layers of clothing, it would be nicer to have blocky avatars not be covered in a black bar, and for the overall modesty ability to be turned down so all avatars can have 2D Clothing so packages aren’t at risk when trying to help users have more customization.

5 Likes

Thank you for the post I hope the criticism gets noticed by the higher ups at Roblox who do the decision making to make a change for the better, I want to actually try making my own avatar bundles but I literally am scared of getting banned etc

2 Likes

Technical reasons aside, I find it bizarre that Roblox is ditching 2D clothing. 2D clothing is very much a staple of avatar customization for a lot of players, it’s used on nearly every avatar. If a 20 year old game like “World of warcraft” is supporting 2D and 3D clothing on player avatars, then Roblox can too.

Another issue that’s been happening pretty frequently, is the moderation of bundles without modesty layers despite them not needing them. Bundles such as penguins and hampsters with fur, dragons with scales, and bodies with 2D clothing support (as the original post pointed out) have been subjected to random moderation.

Here’s an example of a bundle that was recently moderated for “sexual content”:

This directly conflicts with what the creator docs state:

Avatars with feathers, scales, or metal over the groin and chest area do not require a modesty layer.

If that is the case, then why are bodies that comply with these requirements being consistently moderated, often leading to the creator receiving a ban? Roblox moderation is literally contradicting Roblox policy, and there hasn’t been any communication on this issue or any signs of improvement.

I’m planning on uploading my own private UGC body for my avatar soon, and it SHOULD NOT need fake underwear on it:

30 Likes

Pretty sure Max has been complaining about modesty layers since several days/months before that topic was created.

5 Likes

I want them to have the blue checkers again so they don’t appear naked.

4 Likes

I agree, a lot of creators are getting banned for it and it is not a good look for Roblox. Creators excite their creations and then, the creations will get deleted and the creator will get banned for the most unreasonable matter. This post should be seen by higher-ups.

3 Likes

Pretty sure everyone have been complaining about modesty layers since several months yes. Not only Max. But Max started this topic just a few hours after Blizzei’s post and it’s not a coincidence, it became a big subject here and on Twitter.

3 Likes

Blizzei started her topic for a similar reason. I was unaware of the post and wasn’t trying to steal any thunder from her. I have been making many high profile tweets about it for months now. This problem affects everyone, its not for one person to own, we can all make our own points as we see fit.

In fact, the thing that prompted me to make this topic was a tweet from @Reverse_Polarity.
You can see my quote here:

https://x.com/MaximumADHD/status/1799986036321226773

10 Likes

This has been a problem for a long time. The ROBLOX staff has confirmed that they will not support 2D clothing, so I don’t have much hope, but I hope they will change their decision.

There is no need for this. The body colors of the characters are already gray in the catalog. Thumbnail may look bad. The system I recommend:

Rhtro (Human) characters = needs modesty layer

Classic (blocky, non-human) characters = no need for modesty layer.

Absolutely I agree! I’ve been waiting for such an update for a long time.

There are a few more issues regarding UGC bundles:

• Bodyscaletype always set to 1. This makes it difficult to create classic bundles. It’s annoying that something so simple is not under the developer’s control.
  • Static heads should be allowed. It is impossible to make dynamic heads for some characters. This pushes developers to make fake dynamic heads. It’s really ridiculous that ROBLOX doesn’t allow classic heads.
6 Likes