More Mouse Buttons

As a Roblox developer it is impossible(???) to get mouse input from the cool buttons (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57,58,59,60,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68)

Steelseries-Rival-600-buttons-620x348

So that means if your players who play pro games (like Fortnite) come to play Roblox (which they should!!), they will be sad that they can’t bind pyramid and trap to the mouse buttons

Ideally UserInputService should fire InputBegan and InputEnded with an inputobject with the mouse buttons’ keycodes but I am not a Roblox engineer so YOU chooose!

38 Likes

It’d be fine as a nifty feature, but AFAIK most developers don’t even implement custom hotkey settings, professional Fortnite players don’t play Roblox, and most Roblox players don’t have a fancy mouse. For those reasons there seems to be no overall benefit to this feature – the engineers have more important stuff to work on.

7 Likes

That’s for the engineers to decide. We don’t always have enough knowledge about what they’re working on internally to tell for certain whether something is important / convenient to implement or not.

This feature request seems fine to me.

29 Likes

support

1 Like

We want to eventually add a built in mechanism that lets players rebind ContextActionService bindings. I think after we ship that, it makes sense to support those extra buttons.

Right now, the majority of players don’t have those extra buttons, and most games don’t support rebinding inputs, so they’ll for the most part either not be used, be used redundantly, or provide a worse experience to players who don’t have them.

13 Likes

If players have the option to rebind ContextActionService, will there be an option to lock a keybind so someone can’t change it? This might be useful for bindings that change dynamically.

Please don’t crucify me for bumping. I just want this to get noticed!

I would love to see this feature implemented.

As a player I like to play competitive games and I usually just use an AHK script / some software that can rebind the side keys of my mouse to another keypress / keystroke sequence on my keyboard. It is always more convenient to press a button on the side of my mouse in a tight situation than press a key on my keyboard.

And as a developer it is nice to give users more ways to play.

4 Likes

please let us use more mouse buttons!! thanks!!

very annoying that I have to explain to our community that roblox just doesn’t support more mouse buttons

13 Likes

Hey Roblox, more games have key binds now, and its been 5 years and you still haven’t added CAX binds. What’s up?

late to support but I support!

1 Like

But it’s still useful for both devs and players, also

for this, it’s not as bad as games that aren’t compatible on multiple devices, and the dev can make a bind option

(oh wait I didn’t saw the date of the forum, my bad)

Voicechat has (or will have) push to talk, and a lot of people use side buttons for these. Please consider.

1 Like

In the mean time, players can use a macro to rebind their extra mouse buttons to a Numpad key. All games can detect those!

2 Likes

Yeah, I can change the buttons and keys on my mouse and keyboard, but I use other buttons for other stuff, and its annoying having to change them back into side buttons each time.