My account was disabled, Lego Copyright

I remember once hearing ROBLOX was originally using lego bricks and had to switch to what we now know as studs due to copyright issues. I’m guessing that this is probably in relation to that and ROBLOX doesn’t want to run into any legal issues. Try changing the style up a little bit and it should be ok. Have you faced the issues again? Hopefully ROBLOX can just issue warnings instead of bans for this topic as I’m sure most people don’t know about the rules.

Hello there! I’m truly sorry for your unfortunate moderation in this incident, although I am not focused within this field, I believe talking with Roblox’s skilled and designated moderation team on regards to your moderation response rather than talking to people on the Roblox Developer Forum would be more suitable.

To promise that the company Roblox is secure and far from any legal matters, they have to act strict and sometimes off-putting to topics similar to this one. Although you may think otherwise, copyright covers a large portion of a piece, for example, your item was named “Lego”, then in your later piece, you made a complete duplicate of a lego piece, both of witch fall under the copyright act.

I would suggest like I mentioned before to get in contact with the Roblox moderation team, they are here to help and discuss what you can do and what you can’t.

The file name that why,
My advice is to stay away from using company assets and even mentioning company names

I just contacted roblox about this aswell. I hope LEGO will give a response soon.

Just to be sure. so you can make the model and share it with others if you do not sell them for money?

1 Like

No. The defining factor for ‘is it fair use’ is ‘is it transformative’ NOT ‘is it commercial’.

While some content may be released under a ‘personal use only’ licence, default copyright is not like that and applies in full force regardless of your revenue.

i am not a lawyer, this is not legal advise

1 Like

To all the people suggesting that it’s legal to use, great! Go ahead and use it! Nobody is stopping you.

But don’t make threads wondering why your assets are being moderated when they are.

Seriously this discussion has gone on long enough. We’ve told you the risks. Go ahead.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, patents do exist, although I’m unsure Lego has one.

If you create something that resembles Lego, they do not know if you are using Roblox to model it so you can 3D print this and ‘cheat the system’ so to speak.

You only recieved a warning, nothing drastic. Like someone else said, it was probably just the automatic system. Just be careful next time, and instead of uploading to roblox, save it to your files.

1 Like

I am really happy about everyones opinions. There is much diversity and it gave me the courage to ask for permission to LEGO and Roblox. Do not forget to be kind to each other. This topic is to help people know what to do with copyright. There are a lot of options to take. You can remove the company name and change the design of an object to be far enough from the original design, ask for permission to the owner or just not get involved with things with copyright or with patents.

These are awesome options to use for what fits you.

Please keep us updated. If you can get a response from either company, I’m interested to hear their feedback.

1 Like

As previously stated. Your best bet is to contact Lego and roblox for further information.

Personally I don’t know why Roblox didn’t partner with Lego so that way Lego has the real life rights and Roblox has the internet rights

1 Like

Your safest bet is to avoid using actual brand names in any scenario. Just make up a fake one. I know that’s already been stated, but it’s just such a common thing I see happen on Roblox. I hope anyone reading this thread has a simple takeaway:

7 Likes

Have you redesigned the lego’s brick but a similar one? It may help you avoid copyright because the law is very tricky.

All of the patents for LEGO generic bricks have long since expired.
You wanna know how all those off-color off-brand LEGO wannabes at the bottom of bins in Walmart get away with it? That’s why.
But notice how they all have differently shaped props (flowers, faucets, other moulded pieces etc) and weapons, and different styles of printing and stickers, and most notably all the figures look bulbous and wrong? The bricks may have expired, but their copyright for the patterns have not. The brick you uploaded is fine, but that scorpion piece and minifigure etc. is still firmly grasped by LEGO’s big Danish copyright hands.
Also putting “LEGO” in the asset names isn’t helping much.

1 Like

I’m no lawyer but I don’t think that’s the case, you could theoretically be sued for your Roblox creations if you blatently violate someone’s IP and use it to make loads of money, particularly if you take a gaming IP like Fortnite and they can reasonably say it created confusion that harmed their brand, it’s just not usually worth the bother and a DMCA takedown is sent to Roblox as the content host instead. Please correct me if I’m wrong though!

2 Likes

Even if you didn’t have a lego logo, you were most likely copyrighted under the design of the brick, if you want to make a lego brick on Roblox, It would be a good idea to make a brick that doesn’t look like any of the lego pieces, and is just alike to the standard lego brick.

I would change the title to “My account was disabled … rest of the title

Because then there would be no roblox toys

Because Roblox does not want to be associated with LEGO.

Just a small reminder that Roblox themselves changed the design of their studs and inlets to create brand distinction between them and LEGO due to complaints from LEGO. Back in the day Roblox studs used to be round with the ‘R’ logo on them, and the inlets circles with square boarders. This was very close in design to a LEGO brick. It’s often best not to copy another companies design as that’s exactly what copyright is there to stop you from doing.