My account was disabled, Lego Copyright

Wait… what just happend. I asked roblox about lego on 28-05-2020. This is the answer I got just now. (Not showing the name)

This is the most vague answer I have ever seen. He does not answer anything of my question. Why do I get something with this low effort? This almost looks like an automated message.

I mean, you should try to take out the lego logo. Other than that, you’re fine.

Try messaging a roblox moderator as they are most likely the people who warned you in the first place. Most of the time those message are automated, thus not being real and most of the time not even answering your question.

I know countless people have already replied to this, but please be careful regarding copyright! Even something that somewhat resembles a copyrighted thing may get striked.

Make sure if you want to recreate something, get permission from the creator so that you can avoid getting in trouble.
For example, I would like to recreate The Stanley Parable inside of Roblox, however I am awaiting the developers of the game’s permission before I do it. If they don’t give permission, I won’t do it.

i understand the argument that everyone should just create their own original game, and I agree with that! However in my case, I absolutely love the narration, music, and story in this game, and I’d love to be able to bring that experience to people on Roblox. I also find recreating the game to be very fun and a great way to practice my programming skills. But I will not do that unless I get permission.

1 Like

If this is the case, how come Strucid is perfectly fine? (using it for an example.) I would think if this is an issue, Strucid could get in trouble as well for basically recreating the entire Fortnite game.

This doesn’t make much sense. He’s using his own assets, modeled to look like Lego. If he doesn’t mention Lego in the game I would figure it would be fine?

2 Likes

I just got a new message from Roblox. They only say this.

These are the links in the mail.
Terms of use: https://en.help.roblox.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004647846
Copyright information: DMCA Guidelines
DMCA policy information: More information about our DMCA policy

I do not sell Lego blocks, so my chances are high that it is allowed, right? I just have to wait for a response of Lego to see if they agree with me.

1 Like

Nope. This isn’t how DMCA works at all. If the copyright owner believes you’re using their stuff, then that is enough for Roblox to remove your stuff. It doesn’t matter if you sell it, use it, uncopylock it, or just keep it in your models for eternity.

You can send in a counter-notice to Roblox if you really think you should be able to do this.
If you do that, however Lego are fully in their rights to sue you and get your details from Roblox to force you to stop using the assets. In fact, it’s fairly likely that is exactly what they will do to you.

Unless you’re willing to fight this in court, against Lego’s lawyers, I think you should probably count your blessings and move on.

You should follow the advice Roblox gave you - get a lawyer before you send in a counter notice or make any more assets that are potentially infringing on Lego’s copyrights. Don’t follow the advice of people here - especially since a lot of the advice that has been given by posters here is blatantly wrong and just made up.

You’ve been told again and again and again and again that it’s a really bad idea to use Lego’s brand items in this post. The benefits of you carrying on are far outweighed by the risks of getting into a legal battle with a multi billion dollar company.

p.s. this isn’t legal advice, nor am I a lawyer - this is just common sense

4 Likes

I am asking @Kitty_Nattily, because @Kitty_Nattily asked a friend who is a lawyer of patents.

I said in the topic a while ago that I am waiting for a response from Lego. I do not like drama, but if you disagree, that is fine. I just want everyone’s opinions, but do not just say that people make things up unless you have proof they are wrong.

Please do not take legal advise from forum members.

3 Likes

You may have misunderstood my intention. I had no intention of seeking legal advice from forum members. I asked @Kitty_Nattily just in case so that I could better weigh up my chances before getting an email from lego.

I think I’ll wait a while longer before I ask a lawyer for advice until Lego has responded. maybe it will not be necessary after all and lego and I will come to an agreement.

1 Like

I seem to think you have forgotten, you only received a warning.

We all get warned for things, simple.

Want to avoid your account being deleted?
Do not copy brand names, and do not monetise it either.

I did not get a clear answer about this before.
Do you mean not gaining any robux from the bricks, or is it still viable to buy ingame currency to unlock bricks faster?

If you can purchase anything from your game, it is commercial use. Whether any game is commercial use because Premium payouts exist is a story for another time, but besides that, you shouldn’t be using other people’s intellectual property (IP) without permission, even if its use is non-commercial.

Wait for a response from Lego. If they say no (honestly, they probably will), don’t use Lego’s IP.

1 Like

Monetising a game with copyrighted assets is asking for an account deletion. I’m referencing a few games here, in particular, the infamous PBB.

Commercialality is not a factor of copyright fair use. Transformability is. You need to change it to be parodying or mocking the original.

1 Like

I have finally got a response from Lego. This is the respone I got.

This is a link from the mail if you are curious.

Fair Play Policy: Fair Play - Notices & Policies - Legal - LEGO.com US

I have already read the Fair Play Policy, so I think I should get in contact with a lawyer and I will find out what is possible. I will keep you guys updated about this.

4 Likes

Must’ve been a mistake?

I don’t see how this could’ve happened if someone really took a good look at it.

didn’t see the response from lego, now my post is obsolete

I just avoid using any brands in my games, I feel like copyright is such a tough subject to tackle (for me anyway) that I just avoid it entirely. Hope everything is cool though dude!

1 Like

I believe when ROBLOX was starting up in its early days probably when it was called Dynablocks attempted to use round studs similar to those used by the Lego company.

The company was eventually contacted and forced to change hence why we now have the square pieces used today.

For more information on Lego’s copyright policy.
https://www.lego.com/en-my/service/help-topics/fun-for-fans/behind-the-scenes/our-company/commercial-use-of-lego-products

It even states on the website that they do not prohibit individuals and companies that use its trademarks like the 2x4 brick and building instructions and parts.