My account was disabled, Lego Copyright

As previously stated. Your best bet is to contact Lego and roblox for further information.

Personally I don’t know why Roblox didn’t partner with Lego so that way Lego has the real life rights and Roblox has the internet rights

1 Like

Your safest bet is to avoid using actual brand names in any scenario. Just make up a fake one. I know that’s already been stated, but it’s just such a common thing I see happen on Roblox. I hope anyone reading this thread has a simple takeaway:

7 Likes

Have you redesigned the lego’s brick but a similar one? It may help you avoid copyright because the law is very tricky.

All of the patents for LEGO generic bricks have long since expired.
You wanna know how all those off-color off-brand LEGO wannabes at the bottom of bins in Walmart get away with it? That’s why.
But notice how they all have differently shaped props (flowers, faucets, other moulded pieces etc) and weapons, and different styles of printing and stickers, and most notably all the figures look bulbous and wrong? The bricks may have expired, but their copyright for the patterns have not. The brick you uploaded is fine, but that scorpion piece and minifigure etc. is still firmly grasped by LEGO’s big Danish copyright hands.
Also putting “LEGO” in the asset names isn’t helping much.

1 Like

I’m no lawyer but I don’t think that’s the case, you could theoretically be sued for your Roblox creations if you blatently violate someone’s IP and use it to make loads of money, particularly if you take a gaming IP like Fortnite and they can reasonably say it created confusion that harmed their brand, it’s just not usually worth the bother and a DMCA takedown is sent to Roblox as the content host instead. Please correct me if I’m wrong though!

2 Likes

Even if you didn’t have a lego logo, you were most likely copyrighted under the design of the brick, if you want to make a lego brick on Roblox, It would be a good idea to make a brick that doesn’t look like any of the lego pieces, and is just alike to the standard lego brick.

I would change the title to “My account was disabled … rest of the title

Because then there would be no roblox toys

Because Roblox does not want to be associated with LEGO.

Just a small reminder that Roblox themselves changed the design of their studs and inlets to create brand distinction between them and LEGO due to complaints from LEGO. Back in the day Roblox studs used to be round with the ‘R’ logo on them, and the inlets circles with square boarders. This was very close in design to a LEGO brick. It’s often best not to copy another companies design as that’s exactly what copyright is there to stop you from doing.

Wait… what just happend. I asked roblox about lego on 28-05-2020. This is the answer I got just now. (Not showing the name)

This is the most vague answer I have ever seen. He does not answer anything of my question. Why do I get something with this low effort? This almost looks like an automated message.

I mean, you should try to take out the lego logo. Other than that, you’re fine.

Try messaging a roblox moderator as they are most likely the people who warned you in the first place. Most of the time those message are automated, thus not being real and most of the time not even answering your question.

I know countless people have already replied to this, but please be careful regarding copyright! Even something that somewhat resembles a copyrighted thing may get striked.

Make sure if you want to recreate something, get permission from the creator so that you can avoid getting in trouble.
For example, I would like to recreate The Stanley Parable inside of Roblox, however I am awaiting the developers of the game’s permission before I do it. If they don’t give permission, I won’t do it.

i understand the argument that everyone should just create their own original game, and I agree with that! However in my case, I absolutely love the narration, music, and story in this game, and I’d love to be able to bring that experience to people on Roblox. I also find recreating the game to be very fun and a great way to practice my programming skills. But I will not do that unless I get permission.

1 Like

If this is the case, how come Strucid is perfectly fine? (using it for an example.) I would think if this is an issue, Strucid could get in trouble as well for basically recreating the entire Fortnite game.

This doesn’t make much sense. He’s using his own assets, modeled to look like Lego. If he doesn’t mention Lego in the game I would figure it would be fine?

2 Likes

I just got a new message from Roblox. They only say this.

These are the links in the mail.
Terms of use: https://en.help.roblox.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004647846
Copyright information: DMCA Guidelines
DMCA policy information: More information about our DMCA policy

I do not sell Lego blocks, so my chances are high that it is allowed, right? I just have to wait for a response of Lego to see if they agree with me.

1 Like

Nope. This isn’t how DMCA works at all. If the copyright owner believes you’re using their stuff, then that is enough for Roblox to remove your stuff. It doesn’t matter if you sell it, use it, uncopylock it, or just keep it in your models for eternity.

You can send in a counter-notice to Roblox if you really think you should be able to do this.
If you do that, however Lego are fully in their rights to sue you and get your details from Roblox to force you to stop using the assets. In fact, it’s fairly likely that is exactly what they will do to you.

Unless you’re willing to fight this in court, against Lego’s lawyers, I think you should probably count your blessings and move on.

You should follow the advice Roblox gave you - get a lawyer before you send in a counter notice or make any more assets that are potentially infringing on Lego’s copyrights. Don’t follow the advice of people here - especially since a lot of the advice that has been given by posters here is blatantly wrong and just made up.

You’ve been told again and again and again and again that it’s a really bad idea to use Lego’s brand items in this post. The benefits of you carrying on are far outweighed by the risks of getting into a legal battle with a multi billion dollar company.

p.s. this isn’t legal advice, nor am I a lawyer - this is just common sense

4 Likes

I am asking @Kitty_Nattily, because @Kitty_Nattily asked a friend who is a lawyer of patents.

I said in the topic a while ago that I am waiting for a response from Lego. I do not like drama, but if you disagree, that is fine. I just want everyone’s opinions, but do not just say that people make things up unless you have proof they are wrong.

Please do not take legal advise from forum members.

3 Likes