My custom chat system (BetterChat V3)

I’ll be working on this again soon with the new upcoming API seen here

Also, this will be a painful update since the existing channel code I wrote is like 400 lines of code so wish me luck! <3

Edit edit: Also messages need to be overhauled too to be supported with the new system.

Primary todo:

• Overhaul messages, replies, channels
  • Create API interactions
  • Release for alpha

Note:

• Removing group chats for now, they’ll be implemented again later.
Are you excited for the chat system?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

5 Likes

I think this should be in #resources:community-resources . Still an amazing chat!

Is this paid for or is it free, or not for sale?

It’ll be free when I finish it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Status update:

The system is probably about ~80% done and near ready for release once it’s more polished and feature-filled.

Option to combine the chat bar and chat window

More text size supports
  • fixing some visual glitches seen here

Size 20 text

Size 10 text

Font visualization for dropdown in settings

Changelog
  • Currently implementing more text sizes and having it scale appropriately and working on fixing some visual glitches.
  • Fixing various bugs I’ve found
  • Dropping support for group chats for now (may reintroduce later)
  • Fixed the autofill system
  • Added the ability to combine the chatbar and chat window
  • Added font visualization support to the dropdown for bubble chat
Todo
  • Potentially add @here / @everyone for admins
  • Add notifications to the channel bar
  • Implement support for 3rd party autofills for admin system integration via the chatbar
  • Add more configurations to the menu
  • Add API support
  • Once documentation comes out for the official chat objects, add an option to use it in the settings module

Love this idea, probably going to add that soon.

Also love this, hope it’s not too difficult to implement.

Update to that

After a good 7-8 hours of progress today I can confirm that I’m very close to completion. I’m setting the release date for April 15th @ 7PM CST

Dramatic countdown for you guys:

4 Likes

Today’s updates:

Quick chat

quick reply 1

Quick chat allows you to save chat messages to send, ex: ‘Rush blue’ in slot 1 you’d do ‘/1’ in the chat to send that message quickly. These save in a datastore along with the other UI settings.

Idea is thanks to @bostnm

System notifiers

Added notifiers for friends joining, blocking users, muting users, and switching teams.

Pinging

Added the ability to ping users with color.

Notes:

• The new features (quick chat, settings menu) will not be localized on release because of translation issues.

Release date countdown >:)

3 Likes

Couldn’t have made these features any better! I’m very surprised you pulled these off, good job! :+1: Very excited for the V3 release!!

1 Like

Screenshot_1

Profile icon is extremely low quality 1920x1080

Screenshot_2

Emoji search doesn’t work either.

Screenshot_4

I suppose there’s supposed to be a board that shows users but that doesn’t work too.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll be polishing the UI some more because it’s a bit off to me. Any ideas on how to improve it or is it as good as it could be for you?

@VaultZone

• 1: That’s the viewport option, no idea how to make it higher quality. The viewport is toggleable in configuration for things like roleplay games where players may change their avatar in-game. This allows that to update in live time. There’s an image option too that’s much higher quality, this will be the default option used in the chat, but it won’t update with their game’s character in live time.

• 2 & 3: Yet to push that fix to the main game. I have a private game with all of the bug fixes and stuff that I’ve been working on with things like Quick Chat.

1 Like

I just tested it out, and it looks really great!! Nice job making this whole system, the UI and everything is awesome

1 Like

Today’s changes

• Pushed the branch I’ve been working on to the game linked on this post for testing
  • Added channel bar notifications
  • Polished quick chat UI
  • Began writing support for plugins (currently have autofill & commands integrated)
  • Fixed random scrolling slowly bug when refreshing channels

Feel free to test the new updates, there’s probably a lot of bugs that I haven’t discovered yet so let me know if you find any.

2 Likes

dude this is amazing i love this and i will be sure to give you credit in the devforum post

thank you so much it looks amazing I can’t wait to use it.
here are some hearts for you :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

edit: i just noticed the topbar button, does this use topbar+.

Credit for what again?

Yes, it uses the docs for 3rd party installation (I’ll probably also add an option to turn it off)

1 Like

i will give credit in this post.

i give credit to those who helped with the making of my game.

Hi! I can work as a Spanish translator if you want. Also what happened to ur discord?

We’re at ~12 hours to release. I have some disclaimers for it:

• Documentation may not be ready until mid-sunday if I get wrapped up on fixing bugs
  • There WILL be bugs, but report them to me please.
  • Since V2 was never finished, I may release the source as well with this.
  • I also won’t be releasing a github today because I don’t know how to format nested folders/modules, if someone knows please message me!
  • This is my biggest release yet, taking over five months of off and on development to release.

Do you have any past experience? And I don’t use it anymore, feel free to message my DevForum PMs.

Polls

Would it be mean to add like a gamepass to buy if you want to support me?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Edit: done lol Donations - Roblox

2 Likes

I haven’t exactly ever translated any game but I’m a native spanish speaker which I’m guessing is the important part

1 Like

I’m a few hours ahead of schedule and the chat will be released within the next 10-30 minutes.

Edit

It’s released.

4 Likes

How would I be able to make a system message forcefully? Kind of like game.StarterGUI:SetCore(“ChatMakeSystemMessage”)? Is there a function to do so?

BC3 is a bit broken right now and the developer is inactive on Roblox, so in the meanwhile I recommend you use Roblox’s TextChatService or use another chat system until the system is updated

2 Likes