Neon Intensity Property

What if there was a property for neon parts that lets you change the intensity of the glow? For example, the default value could be about 10, but when changed to 0 it’s basically a SmoothPlastic part with no specularity, and when changed to 30+ it’s glow is much bigger and brighter than normal.

I’m not quite sure how this property would be added, since it pertains to only 1 material, but it’s a pretty good idea in my opinion.

28 Likes

Yeah, I’m not sure how it’d be done API wise, but it’d be awesome to be able to change the intensity of neon. I’ve been making objects transparent to cut back on intensity, but then you can see through some objects you shouldn’t be able to see through so intensity being independent of transparency would be great.

2 Likes

You can actually do that using transparency and placing a non-transparent block in the same CFrame.

1 Like

Too hacky and creates extra clutter of unneeded parts

4 Likes

I didn’t say we didn’t need a setting. I simply showed him a workaround.

2 Likes

ScriptOn’s method works, but sadly causes Z-fighting if you use it with unions.

2 Likes

There’s no way to actually make the neon brighter though, only dimmer.

1 Like

Oh so THAT’S what it’s called.

4 Likes

I’m generally surprised that you didn’t know what z-fighting was until now lol. If you put two basic different colored parts in the same position, you’ll see the colors “fight” to be displayed since they’re on the same exact plane.

Yeh, I didn’t know what it was called.

1 Like

Material-specific properties would be great. They could be implemented sorta-like the new physical properties.

1 Like

I know this topic is old, but I really want this. Not only to dim the glow, but increase it, too.

5 Likes

Support a lot!

I would love a neon intensity panel, without having to use lights in bricks. Would save me a lot of development time. :smile:

1 Like

Gonna bump this thread again because it is such a good idea.

Can it be added to the trello?

1 Like

iirc the way neon works is all neon is rendered to a separate layer which then has a blur applied to it.

Having intensity would mean you would need multiple layers for each intensity, meaning each layer makes the performance cost of neon go up.

1 Like

It’s possible that we could implement it as opaque in the normal render pass, and then semi-transparent in the neon blur render pass.

1 Like

I thought that was how it was already implemented?

I mean have the neon intensity property modify the transparency of the neon blur render pass.

Right but that still means you can only have one intensity for your entire scene.

The way I see implementing it is multiple layers (a layer per intensity) but this means multiple fullscreen blur operations have to be performed which makes it harder on the client to render. I’m not sure how much more intense it is.

Edit: Unless you can render each part on the same layer at varying transparencies. Is that what you were suggesting?

Edit2: But that still wouldn’t work. A neon’s intensity is defined by the strength of the blur

1 Like

I may sound stupid, but can they not apply neon settings like they would for transparency, for example. You can get exact figures for that!