New Asset Privacy and Permissions Features for Audio and Video

Animations should be added into this!

1 Like

“never a need for sharing audio” have you heard of any game where you can insert audio for your creations? like themepark tycoon 2? absolutely insane of you to think that 100% of people who used public audio were “bypassers”

9 Likes

Aren’t animations private already? Unless theres a way to get someones animation that I dont know about :confused:

2 Likes

Animations are private but I’m saying that you should have the ability to share animations you have access to through this feature.

Take this for example:

I’m in my friend’s collaboration and I want to add an animation I own, so I go to the permissions tab and add it on there.

5 Likes

Hello I am unable to approve many previously-uploaded audios to my experiences for the last 2-3 weeks. This needs to be addressed ASAP.

4 Likes

No, unfriending does not remove their access. You have to explicitly remove the access through Creator dashboard. As mentioned in the post, we are working on more features and sharing with groups will be coming soon.

2 Likes

You can use the experiences/permissions from Creator Dashboard to check if the experience(s) have permission to use the asset. This page will list all private assets that the experience has permission to use. You can also use the page to do bulk granting if required.

1 Like

Since preexisting sound effects/audio shorter than 7 seconds was allowed to stay public, it feels unfair that we cannot make any new sound effects public. Can we at least have the ability to make sound effects public, instead of having to wait all the way until hopefully all audio can be made public once again?

6 Likes

Unsure if this is still possible, but people used to be able to put 40+ minute audios on Roblox and bypass the 7 minute (and 2 minute previously) limit. I think the reason why SFX cannot be uploaded and made publicly right now is because Roblox is still working on stopping audio baits and ensuring that audios are actually what they really are. If Roblox’s AI is able to detect these baits and stop bypassers, most likely this would allow them to allow public SFX. Then again, we also have to look at the fact that cursing and other means somehow gets through, so Roblox also has to look into stopping those from being allowed as well.

In future time, there is a hopeful stance for public music once again. I remember some of the older soundtracks and audio uploaders which now have their users deleted, and 1000s of audios now private. Some of these developers I looked through their entire catalog of uploads for, and some of them were really dedicated to sharing video games OSTs that were beautiful and surreal to listen to, ones they uploaded 10 years ago to this platform. Some of the people had so many sounds, it went past the limit of how many pages you could have on the old Library page. I really hope we can get to that kind of place again, without the unruly and toxic culture that some people bestowed onto the catalog. Because for some of us, this music, ambience, sfx, etc., was our childhood and meant so much to our creative direction. It should be publicly distributed so that others may be inspired to create and improve the works of others by many fold over.

Egg Hunt 2018 used public soundtracks, never to be heard again after the day in March, except in video form where people could see other people experience these games as they were. It’s a shame, and I really do hope that Roblox figures out in their coding how to better handle its audio systems, and we continiously observe with wipe after wipe on the catalog that Roblox is getting better with that. It is only in due time that we see public audio once again, and I really hope this time it goes right.

Thank you for the update Roblox, glad to see you still care on these systems and want to see them work out as well.

6 Likes

This is cool, but are we getting the ability to make audios public…?

It’s been a year

5 Likes

Public public public – does that word scare you, Roblox? I don’t mean any harm to FlankaTank, they probably had nothing to do with the audio privacy situation, but Christ.

7 Likes

It’s been almost 2 years now. They have had plenty of time to work something out but conveniently plug their ears and give us nothing on public audio. No amount of excuses work anymore.

3 Likes

welp all hope is lost

1 Like

yeah i don’t think we’re getting back the public audio anytime soon :sad:

Any audio clip can be copyrighted as much as any other intellectual property. Including gun shot sound effects.

or ykwhat nah i actually agree with everyone on this topic this update is the worst ive seen yet, just make the audios public bruh

3 Likes

This Saturday we will be approaching the two year mark since they announced on that infamous Wednesday afternoon that in 13 days they would “temporarily” remove the ability to upload public audio (except they didn’t do a good job clarifying that). The original announcement has the highest number of replies ever in the announcement category, and ironically still has not been unlisted or taken down. Hundreds of people expressed their frustration, concerns, and confusion, and it was clear to them at that point Roblox’s reliability had shattered.

Roblox wants to be the best “freemium” platform for creativity, but will forever be known within the community for this historic disruption of workflows that almost nobody expected (compared to the removal of experimental mode). Not only should we regain access to publishing TOS-compliant sounds, we must be assured that the process for implementing “critical” platform changes gets improved and that something like this will likely not happen again on this platform.

5 Likes

They should start with making a process for proving rights just to use audio in your own experiences when their automated system flags it.

We can revisit sharing audio after we can reliably use it ourselves first.

It’s ridiculous not to have any recourse when a robot says “no”.

2 Likes

Originally this reply said you were spreading misinformation, and it’s half right.

Unfriending doesn’t visibly remove permission, however using the audios in a game owned by the person who had the permission added doesn’t work despite apparently having permission.

1 Like

Unfriending doesn’t remove permissions for the user if you have shared the asset with them. You need to revoke the permissions from asset permissions page if you don’t want them to use your asset further. I don’t understand what you mean by spreading misinformation here. As I mentioned above, this is the behavior of shared audios. If you are facing any issues with it, please explain your issue in detail so we may offer help.